Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIMP fails for HDR.

Comment

What are you using to import your photos off your camera? RAW is just a file type, it shouldn't be changing your resolution.
      Flickr | blogZ

Comment

Originally posted by akufc View Post
        What are you using to import your photos off your camera? RAW is just a file type, it shouldn't be changing your resolution.
        Just a regular SD card. RAW only makes a 160x160 icon.

Comment

You need a RAW file reader, like Photoshop's built in manager or Adobe Lightroom. You can download Lightroom3 beta for free and use that, you need something to manage or import the RAW formatted pictures as they should be much larger then 160x160 pixels.
          Flickr | blogZ

Comment

What internal light metering do you guys use? Spot or full?

I'm curious because when in really bright light circumstances I typically get a really underexposed or overexposed shot, and I think I'm using the spot metering...
            iiililillillliliil
            bar|society

Comment

Originally posted by tivs31 View Post
              What internal light metering do you guys use? Spot or full?

I'm curious because when in really bright light circumstances I typically get a really underexposed or overexposed shot, and I think I'm using the spot metering...
              Spot metering judges the light based upon your focal point.

If you're in a bright setting taking a picture of a black object with spot metering, the camera will expose for the black object (assuming it's in focus.) Therefore you will likely get a black object with the details (shadows) still visible but the rest of the background overexposed.

Where as you shoot the seen in matrix full metering you'll probably get a pretty well exposed background and a pretty dark subject that doesn't have all of the details in the shadows.

Essentially it's just choosing what to base the exposure on, I use matrix or spot depending on what I'm shooting. Or I use spot on one object, lock exposure and then reframe. Or I use manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                This guy does it up!

Comment

What do you guys do for rolling shots?

I tried a few for the first time today, and they all came out like ass. We kept the speed around 20 mph, and had the shutter set to 1/20th. It was probably the road, but everything is blurry and the there isn't any real motion blur in the wheels or background.

Idk maybe it could just be that I can't ever manage to get things in focus, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
                  -George
                  flickr

Comment

1/20th in a moving object is a tough speed to pull off without blurring out the car. If you take it up to 1/30 and jack the speed up when doing the rolling shot you can get some good results as well. The below are 1/30 with us going about 55-60.

Flickr | blogZ

Comment

Originally posted by vdubkid View Post
                      What do you guys do for rolling shots?

I tried a few for the first time today, and they all came out like ass. We kept the speed around 20 mph, and had the shutter set to 1/20th. It was probably the road, but everything is blurry and the there isn't any real motion blur in the wheels or background.

Idk maybe it could just be that I can't ever manage to get things in focus, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.
                      Its a common rule of thumb that anything lower than about 1/30 you will need a tripod, unless you have uber steady hands. But obviously you cant do that in a car so really the only thing to do is increase the shutter speed a little and speed up the car your taking rolling shots of.

I rarely do hdr but the clouds were lookin good yesterday so i gave it another try, i think it looks way better in black and white.

Last edited by Travis; 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by akufc View Post
                        1/20th in a moving object is a tough speed to pull off without blurring out the car. If you take it up to 1/30 and jack the speed up when doing the rolling shot you can get some good results as well. The below are 1/30 with us going about 55-60.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3372/...b069db62e6.jpg
                        Originally posted by Travis C View Post
                        Its a common rule of thumb that anything lower than about 1/30 you will need a tripod, unless you have uber steady hands. But obviously you cant do that in a car so really the only thing to do is increase the shutter speed a little and speed up the car your taking rolling shots of.
                        Ahh thanks guys, I was thinking that more speed and a faster shutter would help a lot. I'll try again tomorrow.
                        -George
                        flickr

Comment

Travis C. lives on Beacon Hill.

I used to golf there.

Comment

So, how does one merge pictures in PS? I'm still a noob when it comes to all of this. I feel like there are half the features on my camera I haven't even explored yet.

Comment

Raw ftw
                              hdr ftw

Comment

I shoot raw for Static Photoshoots, portrait, landscape etc, but when im at the track, or shooting a motorsport event jpeg all the way. Its a never ending argument at the moment, and until the day comes where you can look at a printed image and tell what it started life as, RAW or Jpeg, it will never be resolved

And HDR.... an overused technique that is used a lot by people who dont understand proper exposure and cant use HDR properly anyway.

Thats my opinon... Dont like it... Too bad
                                www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers, Understeer Scares The Driver

Comment

Working...
                                X