Madeline Kahn: The junk yard E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madeline Kahn: The junk yard E28

First off lets get this clear: Yes you can build a fast E28 by throwing in a big azz motor, or turbos, or some fancy Japanese motor. I like all of that! I LOVE all of that. But its been done. And done well. I dont want to even try to replicate someone elses build. I may not do it justice. So I decided to take a different route with this. Bear with me please.

This is probably for the more technical group of people that dont mind a little weirdness, age, and well, I guess a purist way of looking at things.

The goal of this was to imagine yourself living in 1988 or 1990 I guess. You dont have the money for an M5, but you are mechanically inclined. And lets say you are in good with a "local german junkyard" (if that existed)

Take an 85 524 td and make it a poor mans M5. Lets handle as well and be just as quick, if not quicker.

Body:
    1985 BMW 524td Found it in a private junk yard with title for 200 bones. Non Running.
    Front bumper is removed.
    Rear bumper shocks have been drilled and collapsed moving the bumper 1.5 in closer in.
    Inner high beams replaced with French style fogs.
    Outer low beams replaced with high / low beams.
    The paint is typical of 80's BMW non clear coat Alpine white. It waxes up beautifully, and looks great when it's clean, but if you let it go for two weeks it chalks up. There are also a few thin spots from overzealous waxings.

Engine:
    1989 BMW 735i (grey market) It had 68,000 on the clock when I yanked it....88,000ish now
    210bhp 305Nm 9.0:1comp....compare to e28 535i 185bhp 240Nm 8.0:1comp
    Head gasket blew, so now: head was cut .0025 to bump the compression to around 11.3:1
    535 cam. (edit: thanks Stupid Kid) Lots of lope. Due to map.
    chipped DME.
    2 maps with map switch.
    Shorty ram intake.
    Emissions systems removed.
    Gutted cats.
    Stock exhaust, but straight through design. No gains from aftermarket, and raspy as hell.
    New water pump and thermostat.
    New alternator.
    Converted to electric rad fan.

Drivetrain:
    1988 BMW M5 5-speed gearbox.
    Stock e28 533i flywheel. Lighter than 535i or M5.
    Stock e28 M5 pressure plate and clutch.
    3.74:1 diff from an e32....stock e28 535i is 3.45:1
    New slave cylinder and hydraulic lines.

Suspension:
    Eibach springs
    The front springs have 75% of the first coil removed.
    Bilstein sport fronts.
    KYB adjustable rears.
    BMW 850i wheels 16x7.5 all around.
    24mm front sway bar (smallest fitted to the e28 line) 19mm rear sway bay (largest fitted to the e28 line) Lots of experimentation was done with a total of 7 different bars. By far the best combo to almost never have any understeer, and to have comfortable and on demand throttle control overseer.
    All front suspension and steering arms and links replaced.
    Front wheel bearings replaced.
    Front lower control arm bushings and rear sub frame bushings shot.

Brakes:
    Stock e28
    New master cyl.
    Cross drilled front rotors and oem pads.
    Braided lines.

Interior:
    Mildly custom.
    The non M e28's had a black dash with color matched radio / a/c control console, center console, lower dash panel, glove box, carpet, door panels, seats, and door handles. The black looked good, but all the others (blue, date rape red, and beige) seemed overpowering and ugly to me. Kinda like someone spray painted over everything with the same color. The M trim cars however, regardless of interior color, had a black dash, radio / a/c console, center console, lower dash panel, glove box, door handles, and they had a black border trim around the door panels making them two toned.This is how my interior is, but unlike the M trim cars that only came in black, date rape red, or beige, Madeline's is blue and the only one like it. (as far as I'm concerned lol) The interior is all black aside from the carpet, seats, and door panels which are two toned.
    The dash has the small number of expected cracks, but overall it's in good shape.
    The drivers seat bottom has a large tear in it.
    Otherwise the interior is in good condition.

Its a steady slow build. Taken almost 5 years of on and mostly off work to get to this point. (Daily driven)

A friend suggested now that the mechanical stuff is done, I should make a "build thread" from here on out since the rest is what people actually care about, (looks)

Hope you made it through all of that.

After sitting in and out of the shop for al most two years, the car was to say the least, GROZZ

After a long, hard, hot day of scrubbing the paint off of her, she came out, well, as clean as busted azz, faded, 25 year old, alpine white can come out.

Started the slow process (for me) of getting the faded trim, bumpers, grill, etc back to a lovely black. Here comes the texture. (still have more to do and will update when I can)

Now if you noticed the condition of the wheels in the first couple of pictures, that was before the wash... After the wash, they were clean, but terribly faded, scuffed, and ugly. So after some sanding and paint:

Slowly but surely. But after years in the shop, I guess its not that slowly.

I should have some more work done this weekend and hopefully have some updates, however small.

Last edited by Bmwadkt; 06-26-2013, 04:11 PM.
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46504

Junkyards are awesome! In to see where this goes
    1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
    1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

Well, moving right along, I wanted to add that I found some wheels. I found some refinished Keskin Kts in 16x9 squared.

In typical form for me, they are coming from Poland....by a boat.... probably being paddled...

So shipping time is going to drive me crazy... lol

But nonetheless, they are pretty. And I have an idea for the centers...

Comment

hell yeah!!!!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Its not the worst interior. Being pieced together for that rare, two toned, non factory job, Its coming along. Ill take some detailed shots later for those interested in why its rare. (also in description)

And mail me casette tapes. All mine are gone from back in the day!

Comment

Oh yeah,

Madeline Kahn.... I went a little deep with the name, but heres some shinfo/brief explanation of why...

She was funny, beautiful, ended up the bride of Frankenstein in "Young Frankenstein"
            My E28 is pretty much a "Frankenstein" of a car, but still it has to be a lady.

So there we go. Shinfo. Deal with it.

Comment

hold up are you running a b32 cam on a b35?
              Can you explain this?
              Its obvious you know a lot about m30's and i'm certainly not "calling you out" but it has always been my understanding that the b35 cam is the hottest m30 cam except for the shrick one. I've always thought that he b32 cam is only an upgrade on a b34 in the top end?
              I know 533/633's themselves pull really well up top because of the cam but not as well as a b35 in the same car my experience... How does you car perform ?

Comment

Holy crap thank you. That was a typo. Its a 535 cam in the 735 motor. Fast typing ruined me on that one. Thanks for actually reading!

The car is estimated around 245 to 250 hp and high 280 torques... Without dyno confirmation, this can be taken as me swinging my balls in your face, I know. Next month or so Im throwing on headers and a proper exhaust which should bring the car to life even more. Then I will be interested in wasting a little cash to see what a dyno says.

As far as performance, it redlines at 7200 (which is off the meter) pulls extremely hard. Sounds pissed off the whole time. Goes around turns with little to no body roll, and if provoked, you can steer it with the throttle quite easily.

Comment

Also to clarify the said "lope" in the motor:

It's because it's lean at idle. It smooths out if you richen the mixture by putting the vacuum cap on. It's actually the exact same sound a high duration cam would make because the same thing is happening in the manifolds and combustion chamber. It's the duration, not the lift that causes the "cam lope" idle of a motor with a hot cam. The high duration values cause excessive valve overlap (intake and exhaust valves are both partially open at exhaust stroke TDC). This is great while the engine is operating in the power band because the exiting exhaust gas helps draw in fresh air through the partially open intake valve. At idle though there is too much overlap to have sufficient manifold vacuum and the engine runs lean. The "cam lope" sound and what my engine sounds like is actually referred to as (idle lean misfire).

Sounds sketchy, but safe.

Comment

great resto so far! didn't know the 535s could make power like that. sounds like a ton of torque for that chassis.
                    025garage

Comment

It could be really nice... except for the fact that it weighs in at an est 4055lbs... lol. But its quick enough for a "period correct" (ish) build.

And technically its a 735 grey market motor. So there was a little more to work with in the beginning.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

This is nice and clean. I have an 88 535is thats white too. I look forward to seeing where this build goes. What are your other future plans?
                        DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                        E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Originally posted by los02 View Post
                          This is nice and clean. I have an 88 535is thats white too. I look forward to seeing where this build goes. What are your other future plans?

I appreciate it. Im looking forward to it as well. Now that all of the "hard" stuff is taken care of, im pretty much going to focus on the cosmetic side of things now.

Shadow line EVERYTHING
                          Headers and exhaust
                          Get the wheels on and ride height sorted. (no I will NOT slam the piss out of it)
                          The drivers seat bottom is pretty haggard, so Im either getting one "racing" seat, or two vintage recaros (this most likely)
                          Juice up the interior with some pretty things.
                          Figure out what Im doing with the front of the car. Thinking of fabbing some sort of "duck bill" style lip for the front since the bumper is gone.
                          Any anything else that comes to mind while I work on her.

Should be tastefully done to an extent and I guess depending on "your" taste.

Ill try and keep it updated.

Comment

I was going to comment on how you should have left the wheels silver, but it looks like you have that covered

Comment

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
                              I was going to comment on how you should have left the wheels silver, but it looks like you have that covered
                              Ha yeah, I wanted to, but they were realllllly bad. And I knew I was on a wheel hunt anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X