No announcement yet.

Medium Pimpin' - 1995 E300 diesel build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do your tires last, kinda wanna have my set up like yours, were im not going through tires a lot.
    08 Sentra slow build

Comment

• That I'm afraid I could not tell you just yet. I've only had these tires on for 2300 miles so far, and only 200 with the car on air. I don't suppose they'll last particularly long, not with the weight of a diesel W124 and the camber I'm running.

For the record, here's some camber specs for you all:

_______________Drop___Front____Rear
      Ride height:___3.5"___-4.5º___-5.3º

__Aired-out:___4.5"___-4.5º___-6.5º

^ That's all measured with some goofball iPhone app, so it might be off by half a degree or something.

As for your B16, I believe you've got a torsion beam axle in the rear, correct? That's a pretty vastly different system than my 5-link, and it means that rear camber will neither be an option nor an issue for you, not without doing some screwball stuff. The front's different, since it's independent up there, and you'll get some camber when lowered. That's where I might be worried for you, how fast you're going to munch front tires.

Comment

• Also I've seen very good results with SEM dye.
        1981 300TD 4 speed
        2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
        , on Flickr
        IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

• Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
          That I'm afraid I could not tell you just yet. I've only had these tires on for 2300 miles so far, and only 200 with the car on air. I don't suppose they'll last particularly long, not with the weight of a diesel W124 and the camber I'm running.

For the record, here's some camber specs for you all:

_______________Drop___Front____Rear
          Ride height:___3.5"___-4.5º___-5.3º

__Aired-out:___4.5"___-4.5º___-6.5º

^ That's all measured with some goofball iPhone app, so it might be off by half a degree or something.

As for your B16, I believe you've got a torsion beam axle in the rear, correct? That's a pretty vastly different system than my 5-link, and it means that rear camber will neither be an option nor an issue for you, not without doing some screwball stuff. The front's different, since it's independent up there, and you'll get some camber when lowered. That's where I might be worried for you, how fast you're going to munch front tires.
          By torsion beam axle just a solid beam right, and the front for mine im not sure... Stanceworks really needs a facepalm face
          08 Sentra slow build

Comment

• That's a tempting second choice, looks like a better deal than the upholstery shop I checked out. $1470, though... woof.

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
            Also I've seen very good results with SEM dye.
            That's another one I'm looking at. People seem to think that Leatherique holds up a little better, but the sheen and match of SEM is superior. Thanks for the reminder!

Originally posted by baggedb16sentra View Post
            By torsion beam axle just a solid beam right, and the front for mine im not sure... Stanceworks really needs a facepalm face
            It's slightly different than a beam axle, since the beam is allowed to twist somewhat (the wheels are mounted to trailing arms rather than directly to the ends of the axles), but as for the camber characteristics where air ride is concerned, they're essentially the same.
            Last edited by Oh Damn, it's Sam; 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I went over to Beaverton Auto Upholstery today, who have awesome reviews on Yelp, and got a quote for recovering the driver's seat and replacing the center panels in the passenger's (which are showing similar but less pronounced wear). $950. Ouch. And that leaves the remainder of the passenger's seat looking worn, if not damaged. New covers from Pelican Parts are also $950, and there's a worrying lack of images or detail on their site.
              Check out loves trim shop. He usually does custom interiors, but you may be able to score a deal with him. Im going to have my doorcards redone by him sometime soon, check out his instagram though http://instagram.com/lovestrim

Comment

AWW YISSSS, the last of my air ride shizzle is on its way from Vermont or wherever! This is like my 32000th order from BagRiders, I'm practically on a first-name basis with those guys.

So, the driver's seat in this thing has always been pretty f'd up. Mercedes used perforated leather in these things for reasons only understood in Stuttgart, and it just doesn't hold up over the years. In my car's case, the sheer misery of being in California for nearly two decades appears to have further sucked the life out of the driver's seat.

The tears in the leather are obvious, but the bolster is showing lots of wear too, to the point where the dye has been worn down. The leather is also just sort of gross from the years of general neglect this car went through with its approximately 300 previous owners.

I went over to Beaverton Auto Upholstery today, who have awesome reviews on Yelp, and got a quote for recovering the driver's seat and replacing the center panels in the passenger's (which are showing similar but less pronounced wear). $950. Ouch. And that leaves the remainder of the passenger's seat looking worn, if not damaged. New covers from Pelican Parts are also $950, and there's a worrying lack of images or detail on their site.

At this point, I think I'm going to find a used grey seat cover for the driver's in acceptable condition, and try to re-dye both front seats with Leatherique. I've seen some great results elsewhere, and if I can get a year or two out of it, well, hell that's a pretty good deal.

Has anyone used the Leatherique re-dye or some competitor? Thoughts before I throw down a few hundred dollars on a likely-disastrous project?

EDIT: And whoever gave my thread a 5-star rating, you're awesome.

Here's some shiny-shiny to hold you all over until I stop whining and some cool stuff starts happening:
                Progress on this Benz looks awesome man, really liking the outcome

Btw on the upholstery situation i could hook you with a bud that could redo your seats for a decent price. He did my vandalized leather interior in the e36. Got a steal deal.
                Let me know if you want to talk to him.

1990 Honda Civic Wagon - SOLD
                1997 BMW 318i Vert
                1992 Mercedes Benz 300e - SOLD
                1970 Mercedes Benz 250
                1976 Volvo 242DL

Comment

• Whoah, such a cool ride!

Comment

• Originally posted by skiierman View Post
                    Check out loves trim shop. He usually does custom interiors, but you may be able to score a deal with him. Im going to have my doorcards redone by him sometime soon, check out his instagram though http://instagram.com/lovestrim
                    Some pretty sick shit on that Instagram, I have to say. I would love to do diamond stitch inserts in my seats and door panels like that E46. One day... one day.

I'll give him a shout and see what he thinks, thanks!

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                    Progress on this Benz looks awesome man, really liking the outcome

Btw on the upholstery situation i could hook you with a bud that could redo your seats for a decent price. He did my vandalized leather interior in the e36. Got a steal deal.
                    Let me know if you want to talk to him.
                    Yeah, shoot me his info, I'd love to see what he can do! Thanks!

Originally posted by Twannnd View Post
                    Whoah, such a cool ride!
                    Thanks so much! It's finally comin' together

Comment

That's a tempting second choice, looks like a better deal than the upholstery shop I checked out. $1470, though... woof.

That's another one I'm looking at. People seem to think that Leatherique holds up a little better, but the sheen and match of SEM is superior. Thanks for the reminder!
                      Yeah Gahh is the best stuff you can buy though, all the guys that restore R107s swear by it.

I'm personally going the SEM route, hopefully I'll have it done before Leavenworth.
                      1981 300TD 4 speed
                      2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                      , on Flickr
                      IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

• Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
                        I'm personally going the SEM route, hopefully I'll have it done before Leavenworth.
                        Sounds like I'm going to be at Leavenworth with my sort-of-brother-in-law, so maybe I'll see what'cha come up with in person! Has yours got cracks in the leather, or is it just tired looking?

So, I broke down and ordered this shit:

There's a worrying amount of Russian in the ad, but the guy's got solid feedback, and, pravda, eBay/PayPal are so ridiculously prejudicial toward buyers that if they turn out to be gross, I can probably get my moneyz back. I can tell from the photos that it has a little wear, so I'm going to eventually redye both front seats to clean 'em up. Hopefully if my sort-of-brother-in-law picks up the E30 'vert he's been looking at, I can experiment with some dye on his car before doing mine

So, the blower motor in this thing has been sounding like it's got a chickadee stuck in it for weeks now, and with the summer months not far away, it was time to get in there and see if I could lube up the blower. So, a few days ago I dug into the cowl area and got at the motor:

Luckily Mercedes didn't hide the blower under the dash, but actually put it somewhere accessible. Of course, it's hidden behind about 55 layers of plastic and stuck in there with a zillion tiny Torx screws, but whatever, better than pulling the dash. You can also see my super-fly daily Lancer in the background there

Mercedes went as far to balance each of the squirrel cages with a little metal clip to prevent vibration:

I soaked the bearings in white lithium grease, reassembled, and no more squeaking! YAY!

MOAR SOON

Comment

• Good work on resurrecting the blower. Usually those bearings are left too long by lazy owners (myself included), and they are too far gone to be brought back. What a nice car you have there sir.

Comment

• That blower motor looks almost exactly like the e30s unit...
                            -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                            '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                            '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Originally posted by speakerboy View Post
                              Good work on resurrecting the blower. Usually those bearings are left too long by lazy owners (myself included), and they are too far gone to be brought back. What a nice car you have there sir.
                              Yeah, I got lucky, I think. Thanks so much for the compliment!

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                              That blower motor looks almost exactly like the e30s unit...
                              I'll bet you it's identical or at least part of the same family. The attachment mechanism (the stupid metal clip that snaps in place) looks identical to what I've seen on an E32, and it's just a random Bosch part. That's worth knowing though, just in case this thing decides to go out on me.

Comment

Sounds like I'm going to be at Leavenworth with my sort-of-brother-in-law, so maybe I'll see what'cha come up with in person! Has yours got cracks in the leather, or is it just tired looking?
                                I want so say it has cracks, but it's been so long since I've seen my car... It might just be extremely tired looking. I guess I'll find out when I get to go back home.
                                1981 300TD 4 speed
                                2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                                , on Flickr
                                IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Working...
                                X