Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Hours. A Budget Build without the Budget.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Hours. A Budget Build without the Budget.

hey SW,
    Figured im at a good point to share my Volvo, and the story and build behind it.

The story begins on November 01, 2012.
    i was the proud owner of my long time favorite car, a 1995 mazda miata. i had always wanted one, and finally got one for an incredible deal.a short time later i realized, this little convertible i had longed for was something that really brough me no joy.
    it was fun, quick, handled like nothing else, but i felt unconnected to it. i didnt feel right in it.
    the next day it was on craigslist and it sold the following night.

It was friday, i had some cash, and no car. and work was approaching monday. needsless to say, i was in a pickle.
    i started scouring craigslist like a mad man, i knew i wanted 3 things out of a car; Rear drive was a must, manual transmission, and turbocharged.
    the makes and models started pouring into my head. do i get a z31? do i get another volvo v70 and have boost, but sacrifice rwd? do i just say to hell with it all and get a geo prizm?
    Fast forward to saturday night, after a few nice dinners out on the town, gas in my friends cars to drive me around, and buying stupid shit here and there, i basically was broke, and still had no car. not what i had planned on.
    i was out smoking a cigarette, looking on craigslist, and came across something that grabbed my attention.
    For Sale: 1988 Volvo 740 Turbo.
    i clicked the ad, on the inside was nothing more than a phone number. no details, nothing,
    i called and had to leave a message. i basically gave up.

sunday evening rolled around, i was in a terrible mood. i absolutely **** not having a car.
    then the phone rang.
    a young ladies voice said, "hey im returning your call about the volvo"
    i said, yeah, i just had some questions, is it auto or manual? is it inspected? does it run?
    she says, "well...it runs" its a manual transmission, and its not inspected.
    great, i thought, another pos that is ready for the scrapyard.
    out of time and out of options i asked if i could come see it, it was a short drive away.

My girlfriend and i made the drive, we pulled in the driveway to the sight of a horribly neglected, faded blue, 88 740 sedan.
    my girlfriend looks at me and says "your kidding right?"
    i wish i was.
    Tailights: broken
    corner lights: broken
    shifter: broken
    exhaust: broken
    camo seat covers? check.
    the girl came outside and handed me the key, i took it for a quick spin, fighting to shift with the knob hanging off like a loose tooth, no power steering, it gets better and better.
    i returned and asked how much buys it. she replies "im asking 500" for you ill take 400"
    goody goody, must be my lucky effing day,
    out of time and options i pay up and head for home, with my girlfriends wrx tailing me the whole way, almost taunting to say "get the fuck out of the way hippie"
    i got home and went to bed, i didnt even want to think about it.

Monday morning, i woke from what i thought was a bad dream. got ready for work and walked outside. There it was, the blue turd. glaring at me.

This is where the story truely begins.
    I made the long, seemingly endless 15 mile journey to work. no radio. window stuck down, and if i gave the car the slightest hint of letting go of the wheel for even a second it tried to yank me off the road. awesome.
    on my lunch break i kept looking at it, wondering what i was thinking. i had owned volvos before. hell, ive owned cheaper cars before too, but something about this ugly little box got to me.
    i started to clean it out, removing years of mcdonalds wrappers, long blonde hair, dirt, and those damn seat covers.
    It basically stayed that way all week, for the first time i had no motivation to build a car.
    Saturday morning came and i headed to the junkyard to find replacements for all my broken lenses.
    ended up scoring new everything, including a set of tail lights.
    I can stand amber, so i tinted the upper halves of the tailights with some leftover nightshades.

after i installed all the lights, painted the headlight surrounds black, and threw on a roof rack i had, i hit the car wash. probly the first one this car has had in 15 years. it wsas then i realized.
    This car has potential.

Potential yes, and lots of it.
    what i didnt have a lot of was money. i was barely making enough to pay my bills. let alone build a car.
    little things started to come together though, Thankfully i have a lot of friends who either work at or own shops, and the work began.
    12-21-12
    I pulled the car into my friends exhaust shop, and cut the rotted catback off, we replaced it with a 3" side dump. Deemed the "hippie blaster"

at the same time it got a rf tie rod and alignment. on the house.
    January came, and it was cold and snowy. i managed to save up some money and bought a grant hub adapter for the wheel i had laying around, and a cheap garbage shift knob.

It made winter shenanegans alot more fun.

During a late night snow drifting session, i had an epiphany.
    i was sliding this cheap little brick around like a pro D1 driver, i would enter the corner, tap the brakes, kick down to second gear, smash the throttle, and its like the car knew what to do, even a few times when i thought i had entered a corner waaayyy too fast, she would just keep steering, it felt like i was never going to hit full lock, throttle response was good, steering felt great, and i realized as i straightened out after a 75mph, 3rd gear to the limiter slide, i had fallen for this little car. we were becoming one.

The next day i decided, im going to build this car. to the end. no If's ands or buts.
    i started small, checkerboarding the rear view mirror in ohmage to my TE72 wagon (R.I.P)

I wanted to do something different with the trunk, i knew i wanted a spoiler, but nothing seemed...right. i wanted that vintage race car look, but no body made anyhting good, not that i could afford it any way.
    then i came up with the idea to go oldschool nascar style. i got started with a template out of cardboard.

but then ran into a problem, wtf am i going to make this out of? i cant afford to have aluminum or plexy cut and shaped.
    it hit me on the way home.

1/8th inch aluminum. FREE. Done deal.

Now what? well, i was headed in the right direction, still had no money, and was still at stock ride height.

As i pondered the thought of a slammed car, i also thought about wheels.
    Volvo has a very...unique bolt pattern. 5x108. wheel options were, to say the least, limited.
    and i still had no money to spend on wheels.
    i thought about widened steelies, but volvo never made a wheel bigger than 15" in a rwd offset. that and at 100 bucks each to get a wheel widened, that idea was out too.
    it was then i stumbled across a thread on "reversing" steelies. the idea baffled me, but it was all i had.
    the next day i grabbed a set of 16x7, fwd offset xc90 steelies for 75 bucks.

And got to work.

After hours of cutting, hammering, and hitting myself with a hammer.

i had one wheel apart.

I sandblasted both pieces and primered them, flipped the center around, and did a test fit.

First thought into my head: "that looks fucking awesome"
    Second thought: "there is no way in hell those are fitting under the wheel wells"
    Either way i still had three more to go, why the hell not.
    As the wheel battle raged on i got annoyed with the 4x4 status and on a whim i too an angle grinder to the springs.
    -3 coils front and rear.

Finally, the height i was after.
    i did a bunch of little things here and there while i had some off time. deleted the high beam headlights, ran a ram air setup to the intake, smoked out the corner lights and turn signals, gutted the back half of the car, and picked up a racing seat for 50 bucks.

At this point i was fairly happy with the car. i had gotten used to it, its little quirks, the way it drove, the way it handled. it was finally my car.
    i had never thought it would get past this point.
    boy was i wrong.
    A month later, 3 wheels were done, i had one to go. but i was losing hope. and i was tired of having a sore hand and ringing ears.

I stopped over to a friends house who does paint and body work. it was midnight.
    we hung out, had a few drinks, talked shit. this and that.
    2:00am he says. " we painting that thing or what?"
    i was baffled, i said i have no money. he goes "pull it in"

We masked, sanded, and prepped it. i couldnt believe he was taking a sander to my car. it tripped me out.
    He had an extra gallon of custom mixed color, that apparently wasnt what he ordered. he mixed it into the gun, handed me a mask and said "have fun"
    i had never touched a paint gun before.
    the next few hours he showed me the art of painting, he would o a panel, hand me the gun, and make me do one. ending with me painting all but the drivers fender.
    it was done. and it was 4am.
    I could hardly sleep, i just wanted to tear the tape off and see what it looked like. but i had to sleep.
    The next morning after staying on a friends couch, we got up and headed over. i kept mumbling in my head "drive faster dammit'
    we peeled take, reattached door handles and side trim, and rolled her out into the sunlight.
    My jaw hit the floor.

I would have never in a million years thought my little 400 dollar beater brick would look like this. i was speechless.
    On the drive home i swore to myself, that 4th wheel is getting finished today. no excuses.
    And it did.
    After i hit my hand again.

I rushed over to my welder buddies places and we trued and welded them up, threw on some tires, and the first official drive took place.as well as a mini photo shoot.

Since then only a few things have changed, i painted the wheels, put in junkyard side mirrors from a 76 244, EDM side markers, and other little things.
    And here is how she sits today:

Total spent: 1,125 bucks. including the 400 for the car.

I have poured my blood, sweat, and tears into this car. it had truely become a labor of love.
    I never would have thought that the haggard little blue turd, parked in some hippie chicks driveway, would ever amount to anything. But more importantly than that, i have learned a lot thoughout this build. i learned how to paint, i made my own wheels for christ sake.
    This car owes me nothing. but i owe it everything.
    -Kyle.
    Last edited by DragginWagon; 05-30-2013, 12:28 AM.

Comment

interesting...moar prease

Comment

Second half has been added. read on. lol.

Comment

I was wondering what happened to this thing, your other thread was promisingly ignorant.
          I like that color, its a shit brick now!

But on the real builds like this are why I troll forums like for build threads. I really don't care if you bought a golf and put coil overs on it and then took a picture with your iphone. I love beaters and beater stories. Drunken 3am shenanigans are how special cars and important memories are made.

I'm pretty torn between being happy that I have a (moderately) nice, reliable car and pissed off because I can't really do much to it or have fun with it because its expensive and ill "ruin" the car being nice and valuable.

I really wish I had a shit car to beat on and fuck with, I'm jealous of your 400$ volvo.

Comment

Wow, I was not expecting that outcome. Excellent work good sir.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
            http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

Love the color, tad lower and it'll be sitting pretty
              Follow on IG
              amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
              Vintage AME Wheels
              RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
              W115 & W123

Comment

DAYUM THAT BITCH IS PRETTY. I mean wow. $400 bucks got you a shit box, but you really put alot of heart into it. Making your own wheels LOL. thats some ingenuity epic build and a job well done. thing looks mean as hell.

Comment

Wow. Hell of a turn around for next to nothing. I can dig it. What are your future plans for the "shit box"?
                  Sup. Call me Z.
                  My Accord "build".

Comment

Very cool

IG: Nick475

Comment

i really love that colour! and it looks like youve done a good job spraying it too!!
                      my mates just gone into business painting, so i'll have to see about a drunken night at his haha!

jealous of the cheapness of this car, and you really have made it your own! good outcome so far
                      Instagram - marcuscreek ---- facebook - /cusbum

Static Low R50 Mini Cooper

Comment

Awwww yyyeeee! Love this beast!
                        -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
                        -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
                        -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
                        -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

Great read, and awesome work!

Comment

With no budget, that's really-really-really impressive.
                            Keep up! Waiting for more

Cheap ain't badass, badass ain't cheap.

Comment

This is great! Nice work. Shows how much you can do with motivation as opposed to just money.
                              025garage

Comment

Working...
                              X