This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Pro Tips

Thought this would be a cool idea for people to share little things to keep our cars clean. The idea is to post anything you've come across or done that other might not think about. (Maybe this could get stickied if there is enough comments and advice.)

Here are a few things I have come across:

When it comes to windows, I have tried a variety of window cleaners but they all always seemed to be streaky and never worked like the bottle said they would. This past week I tried something different that seems to work really well.

-Instead of using window cleaner and paper towels, pick up some quick detailing spray wax (I use Maguire's since I had some) and also get some microfiber towels. Spray the window down really good, and wipe with one side of the towel to clean everything that's on the window off, then flip the towel over and wipe off the excess and dry it really good. I use it on all of the windows including the inside and outside of the windshield and it works fantastic. No streak marks at all. Rain beads off so well depending on how fast you are going you don't even need to use your wipers. Honestly, I think it works even better than Rain-X.

This year I stripped the lips on my wheels and repolished them. After a few days and some rain, they were all water spotted and stuff and needed a good cleaning already. I found even with a good quality sponge, it seemed to be too abrasive and it would scratch the lips when cleaning them.

-I found using a microfiber towel to wash wheels works a heck of a lot better than a sponge. I can get into the nooks and crannies a lot better and they aren't so abrasive they scratch the wheels but they still clean them well. After washing the wheels, grab a few more dry towels to dry them off. Use one to get as much water off as you can (by the end it will be wet) then use another dry towel to fully dry the wheel. If you do it right, it wont leave water marks and you wont have to touch up the wheels with polish.

Also, when it comes to polishing wheels, I think old t-shirts work the best. After you have polished them, wipe them down with an old shirt. The soft cotton wont scratch the wheels and lets face it, we all probably have some old shirts laying around.

So feel free to post up other things you've come across that make it easier to keep your car clean. Interested to see what other people have to say.

The Kia has been parted.

Use a clay bar

Wash your car and then do that shit. Then use your compounds and waxes and pills and potions.
    Other wise you're just rubbing dirt into your paint

Comment

^^ clay bar for sure, and ive also found that the mucrofiber on windows is by far the best route, though ill have to try the spray wax since that sounds like a good idea.

as for advice i know that making sure you keep your wheels waxed just pressure wash them every time they get any dirt on them and it never builds up, i had a set of wheels i never had to do anything besides rinse off because of that, its so nice.
      I’ve had too many cars to list and most of them sucked.

Comment

Been Spray Waxing my windows for ages. Then a nice layer of Rain X. Once every 2 weeks gets a wax and a once or twice full detail throughout the week. My friends thinks I am crazy. My wife thinks I like my car more then her....lol

Comment

this is the only glass cleaner I use

Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
            this is the only glass cleaner I use

I used to use this, love it. I tried the spray wax and microfiber cloth yesterday, works even better than this stuff. Both are great though

Comment

Waffle weave microfibers are your best bet for windows.

Honestly, if you want to get some great tips and advice on cleaning your car I'd suggest checking out the autogeek online forum.

Comment

* To avoid sucking small worthy items (rings, coins, etc) into vacuum cleaner use women's stockings. Just put them onto vacuum hose and secure with rubber band or tape.

* Again, from women's closet: clean windscreen wiper blades with women's shampoo.
                It makes hair clean and soft, just exactly what windscreen wiper blades need.
                Just pour some of that stuff onto towel and wipe the wipers.

* To tint light bulbs. As a sample, making "dem mad tyte blue park or interior lights" or for "Lexus style" clear glass tail lights, use nail polish. They come in thousands of different colors, let light through and work fine for light bulbs.

* To refresh the blackness of your car:
                Like flat black side trim, plastic bumpers or what ev. Use regular silicone spray.

Hundreds of companies make them, they all work fine.
                Just spray onto surface and wipe with microfibre or shirt.

* And last but not least, good and cheap stuff for engine cleaning/detailing is WD40.
                Just spray on and do the wiping thingy with towel or rag.

Hope you found few useful tips

Cheap ain't badass, badass ain't cheap.

Comment

For those of you with textured moldings on the exterior I use Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner. Pop the moldings off and spray 2-3 coats on them. It'll all blend together so it gets a uniform finish and you keep the texture. Durable also, stay away from that Back to Black shit. This works 100x better.

Comment

Working...
                  X