Andrew Krok - A Retrospective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew Krok - A Retrospective

Today, your humble narrator breaks through the fourth wall for the final time. So long, farewell, auf weidersehen, goodbye.

A little less than three years ago, I walked into this job with next to no experience in the automotive industry. All I had to rely upon was a lifelong admiration for four-wheeled vehicles and a single high school photography class that taught me how to shoot and develop 35mm film. After college, I’d done my fair share of time waiting tables (as most English majors do), and not much else. When I walked into FMU for my interview with Marilynn and OJ, I didn’t quite know what to expect. I was given the job offer a few days later, the night before my cousin’s wedding. I didn’t tell anybody except for my parents, seeing as how I wasn’t about to overshadow my only cousin on her wedding day.

My first day at Fluid MotorUnion, I was shown my desk, the same one I sit at now. I was handed the camera (a Nikon D90 with a 17-55mm f:2.8 shrouded lens), given a rough idea of how to structure blog posts, and I was more or less set free to develop the blog as I saw fit. It was the first time I’d been given control of anything important, to tell you the truth. A lot was riding on this; I saw a unique and share-worthy experience taking place here at Fluid, and I was determined to do my best to show the world just what this business was capable of. Over time, I settled into a pretty solid routine, and the blog took off.

Of course, that wasn’t my doing alone. It never was. It was the combined efforts of every single person in this building, pouring their hearts and souls into what they do and giving me the material to put on this very blog. Everything here is a team effort; sure, OJ may come up with the idea, and Tom might do the welding, and Keller might be the one calling me into the service bay to show me something weird, but without each piece of scaffolding, the bridge would never hold together. Weight needs to be evenly distributed for the structure as a whole to stand up. That’s the way it was, and that’s the way it still is.

To say I’ve been on a journey wouldn’t be doing my tenure justice. This job has opened up pathways for me that I would never have expected. From our 32-hour, nonstop drives to MFest in Las Vegas, to our latest trip to Eurowerks 6 last year, I’ve been able to see more of the automotive aftermarket culture than I ever would have imagined. I’ve become friends with many of the regulars on the StanceWorks forum through the FMU sponsor account, my quotes have ended up in magazine features of FMU cars, and my relationship with the editor of Performance BMW magazine eventually led to my current job freelancing for Total 911 - The Porsche Magazine. Our pictures have ended up on Jalopnik, we’ve had a guest blog on Speedhunters, as well as the aforementioned magazine features for a number of our projects, both ours and those owned by customers. We still have more on the way, as well. Keep your eyes peeled.

Being a part of this team has been one of the greatest honors and privileges that I’ve had in my entire life. I have stared into more welding arcs than I’d like to admit. I’ve hung myself from moving vehicles, inhaled a good deal of exhaust fumes, been showered with sparks and hit by chunks of flying metal. But it was necessary. My job was to provide a unique look into a service and performance fabrication garage that operated on the fringes, blazing trails that hadn’t even been imagined by others. I wanted to give the world a look at Fluid MotorUnion that other places don’t provide, and I’d like to believe that I was successful in those efforts. But again, it wouldn’t have happened if I weren’t surrounded by some of the best and brightest minds in the industry.

I have a secret to admit. I know next to nothing about fabrication, even after three years of working here. The fog of war remains dark and heavy over many portions of the jobs that I’ve seen. My thirst for knowledge has helped to abate the fog and part the clouds to some degree, but there are many topics that I’ve covered that are still difficult for even me to understand. This entire time, most every single blog post I’ve written, I’ve been explaining this work to myself in a way that I — a technical layman — can understand and process. And I’d like to think that’s why the blog has been well received. It’s important to understand that not everybody has a full working knowledge of metal fabrication, water methanol and the like. I’ve always tried to present the work in a language that everybody can get behind, so that nobody is left out in the cold. Well, so long as you speak English, and get my inane references to pop culture.

I feel like I’ve lived a lifetime of experiences during my three-year stint as Media Director of Fluid MotorUnion. I cannot express how grateful I am to FMU for giving me the opportunity to prove myself as a writer and a quasi-embedded journalist. They’re the reason that I’ve decided to pursue automotive journalism for a career. They’re the reason I have writing credits in well-respected automotive publications. They’re the reason I woke up every day, excited for something new. Hell, they’re also the reason my car is still in great condition, despite accumulating almost 100,000 miles over two and a half years of ownership. I would never be where I am currently if it wasn’t for everybody at Fluid MotorUnion, both current and past — OJ, Craig, Marilynn, Marisa, Chris, Marzano, Keller, Zach, Zak, Tom, Kyle, Eastway, Aaron, Luci, Vern and everybody else that I can’t remember at the moment. I can only hope that my contributions to the company have helped them as much as they have helped me.

Okay, enough of my nostalgic bullshit. I know many of you are here for the pictures more than the words, I’ve known that for years, and don’t worry, I’m not going to disappoint. Below, you’ll find 48 of my favorite shots that I’ve taken during my stead as Media Director, a title that, admittedly, I made up myself. Sounds good, though, doesn’t it? Of course it does; I came up with it.

Once again, thank you to everybody. To the readers, to the commenters, to every single person I work with on a daily basis. I will miss you all. But don’t worry, I won’t be too far gone. If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that I never get too far away from the things I care about deeply.

Have an utterly fantastic day, and I’ll see you all around.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Don't forget trekking to my house at 6am to pick up wheels for OJ, in Indiana!

Do what makes you happy man, and pursuing that automotive journalist career will be an awesome next step in your journey. I know for one I probably wouldn't have met you if it wasn't for FMU.

And I just saw that shirt in my things while I was moving a week ago, made me chuckle.

Good Luck man.
    -Strictly Pleasure-
    ★AGGRESSIVE STREET★VIOLENT STYLE★

Comment

Originally posted by LowDirtyBastard View Post
      Don't forget trekking to my house at 6am to pick up wheels for OJ, in Indiana!

Do what makes you happy man, and pursuing that automotive journalist career will be an awesome next step in your journey. I know for one I probably wouldn't have met you if it wasn't for FMU.

And I just saw that shirt in my things while I was moving a week ago, made me chuckle.

Good Luck man.
      Thanks, Vegas! I'll text you soon about my tattoo touchup!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

More pics of Razor w/ Apehangars.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          More pics of Razor w/ Apehangars.
          You want more of the scooter?

That's a first.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
          www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post

That's a first.
            Probably the only thread I've read fully. God damn I'm gonna miss your threads. Noooooooooooooooo Andrew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Instagram @wickedweiss

Fix your sig pic size cunt. <3 Ox.

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post

That's a first.
              Dead serious.

This was an awesome article to read as well

Flickr

Comment

I'll miss your literary styling immensely, Andrew. You have extended a hand in the name of kindness far beyond your duties to a shop hundreds of miles away for no reason other than being a good guy. The few emails we exchanged close to a year and a half ago now have really meant a lot to myself and our business.

You have shed tremendous light on a shop that stands tall as a beacon of hope in the midst of hack jobs and chop shops just out to scrape a buck out of any wallet they can get their hands on, Your efforts have served as inspiration to us, and reminded me that we're not the only shop around that's not in this just for the money. We do what we do because we want to make cars cool. Cash and recognition are cool, but passion is what keeps a business lively. FMU has never lost sight of that initial, almost naive enthusiasm; and it would take a gun to my head to even consider that ever happening as a possibility.

I wish I had more to say right now, but it is creeping well past 2:00 AM and I have to get up early to cook for my mother. Don't become a stranger; your presence in the automotive community not as a faceless editor, but as a person is appreciated on S|W and around the world more than you know.

-Matt

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

Write a book or something so I can keep reading what you have to say

Comment

I recognize nearly all the photos you've posted. Hopefully that tells you something - a guy that doesn't post on here much, doesn't live close to FMU and has never done business with the shop has read most of what you've posted and has mega respect for the work and attitudes you guys (and girls) do and have. Looking forward to your future endeavours and hoping that FMU keeps up the tradition of behind-the-scenes exposure.
                    Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

<3
                      Originally posted by anth
                      Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk4dQ056nxI"]Future - Never Be The Same - YouTube[/ame]

AK = <3
                        IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

I've been a member on this forum for a year now.

I can honestly say that you have inspired me. Your photography and the threads you've posted related to the projects at FMU are what keeps me coming back to this site week after week.

Good job man, I hope you have a blast working for the Porsche magazine !

Comment

Originally posted by cobrawannabe View Post
                            I'll miss your literary styling immensely, Andrew. You have extended a hand in the name of kindness far beyond your duties to a shop hundreds of miles away for no reason other than being a good guy. The few emails we exchanged close to a year and a half ago now have really meant a lot to myself and our business.

You have shed tremendous light on a shop that stands tall as a beacon of hope in the midst of hack jobs and chop shops just out to scrape a buck out of any wallet they can get their hands on, Your efforts have served as inspiration to us, and reminded me that we're not the only shop around that's not in this just for the money. We do what we do because we want to make cars cool. Cash and recognition are cool, but passion is what keeps a business lively. FMU has never lost sight of that initial, almost naive enthusiasm; and it would take a gun to my head to even consider that ever happening as a possibility.

I wish I had more to say right now, but it is creeping well past 2:00 AM and I have to get up early to cook for my mother. Don't become a stranger; your presence in the automotive community not as a faceless editor, but as a person is appreciated on S|W and around the world more than you know.

-Matt
                            Thanks, Matt. It was great getting to know you through FMU, and I'll keep following what you do, as well. My goal is not to become a stranger; even though I'm a little slow to log in these days (staying plenty busy at the new gig), I'm still around.

I'm a creep.

Originally posted by martinm13 View Post
                            Write a book or something so I can keep reading what you have to say
                            I do plenty of writing at my new job; I have the name of my new employer in my profile. You can find all my articles on that site.

I still plan on writing a novel-length Aristocrats joke, but I doubt that's the kind of reading you're looking for.

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                            I recognize nearly all the photos you've posted. Hopefully that tells you something - a guy that doesn't post on here much, doesn't live close to FMU and has never done business with the shop has read most of what you've posted and has mega respect for the work and attitudes you guys (and girls) do and have. Looking forward to your future endeavours and hoping that FMU keeps up the tradition of behind-the-scenes exposure.
                            Glad you recognize them! OJ (FMU's founder) is taking over the blog for now, and while he has yet to cross-post it here, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next. I know there were quite a few near-complete projects in the pipeline when I left, so fear not, that much shouldn't change.

And thanks for the kind words!

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                            <3
                            Tell me when you come to California next, jerk. I still have to give you that thing. And that other thing. (That other thing is a big-ass man-hug)

Originally posted by Rob&co View Post
                            I love you, too, Rob. Especially your tenuous grasp of grammar. It adds character.

Originally posted by MrGL2 View Post
                            I've been a member on this forum for a year now.

I can honestly say that you have inspired me. Your photography and the threads you've posted related to the projects at FMU are what keeps me coming back to this site week after week.

Good job man, I hope you have a blast working for the Porsche magazine !
                            Thanks man, glad I could help. That's the kind of thing that gives me the warm-'n'-fuzzies. If you don't see anything here in the next few days, check out the FMU site itself. I know OJ wrote a post yesterday.

Porsche mag is fun, but I'm also doing other writing, too. My fingers remain the only part of my body that receives a decent workout. The rest of it just consumes caffeine and nicotine while playing Forza and doing nothing productive otherwise.

Originally posted by Rob&co
                            MOCK MY FUCKING SPELLED WRONG WORDS PAL!

Comment

I am shocked at Andrew's leaving, but damn do I feel so so good for him & the blessing in opportunity he is now being faced with.

Mr. Krok really is a good guy; he's loyal in his friendships, genuinely passionate towards anything motorized or fabricated, represents FMU in all of the 'family' & motivating ways that the entire company centers themselves on, as well as cares to see those around him happy.

I assume the man has either come from a great family or has found it within FMU's daily approach towards being the best that they can be in every area or task brought afront of them.

so much respect for Mr. Andrew Krok, the support he has personally given me with 'FABEL', & the ways I have seen him represent FMU out in the community. I am sure he feels like he has moved out of the 'home' sort of speak, but without doubt, I know he will never forget his loved ones while they fabricate 'epic' in the swallows of Club Fluid.

miss ya already buddy! hope you keep up on the forums, car events, & your FMU family.

best of luck to all things in your future, & know I'll be searching for where you'll pop up next.

Frame Bangin' FABEL.

Comment

Working...
                              X