No announcement yet.

Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

love the color. need another e28 now. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kylefav21 View Post
      I got a good laugh out of the CHEESE vin number and ILOVEMEN registration!
      Haha, one of the guys at work did that for a laugh.

Comment

Two weeks ago a random thought came to my head that i should do an engine conversion, but stay within the factory options. I spent the next few nights researching the different m30 motors - b34, b35 and high and low compression motors. A week later and i found a E23 735i with a blown headgasket. After running the VIN through the BMW chassis look up site i confirmed it was a m30 b34 high compression motor. This was exactly what i wanted as it was one of the most powerful m30 motors.

Untitled

Today i towed the 7 series home. Funnily enough it was owned by the old guy who lived in the house next to work - Launceston BMW.

Untitled

The owner was sad to let it go, it was his pride and joy. But he was glad it was going to someone who loves BMW's. He wants it to be brought back to its former self and get back on the road, sadly that will never happen. But its motor will be the new heart of my e28, and i'll enjoy every second of it.

DSCF4473

DSCF4474

DSCF4475

DSCF4477

Apart from the alpine white paint starting to go chalky the car is in great condition, interior is near perfect. Nearly too good for what i need it for. All up it costed $500.

Hopefully i should have the engine out in a couple of weeks
        Last edited by epearce; 09-03-2013, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Nice!!

Id say drop the e28 heart in the 735i and then you'll have two

Comment

Originally posted by Reap3r_ZA View Post
            Nice!!

Id say drop the e28 heart in the 735i and then you'll have two
            That thought has already crossed my mind.

I'll have to see how the conversion goes first.

Comment

Wow awesome job dude, super clean.

Subbed

Comment

It didn't rain saturday so i made the most of it and got the engine ready to pull out. The head had been pulled off by the previous owner which made it easy for me. The only worry was that it has been sitting for over a year outside without the head. I turned it over with a spanner for the first time on the weekend, luckily it spins nicely and all the bores look good.

Wet gravel driveways suck..

All ready to lift out,

Now the wait for the time it get it out

Comment

Untitled

Untitled

Today a mate and i pulley the motor out of the e23. Simple job with the right equipment!
                  Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

We then wasted no time in removing all the auxiliary's/attachments. And of course the engine couldn't go in the e28 without a rebuild. So next step was to start stripping the engine down.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Blown headgaskets sure make a mess
                  Untitled

Everythings gone smoothly so far and all the internals are in better condition than expected. Still heaps more to do, more updates to come.

Comment

Didn't get much done this week as i had to go a BMW training course in Melbourne. I was lucky enough to see their first electric car the i3 get released for the first time in Australia.

However i made great progress yesterday!

Removed timing covers, chains, flywheel. Then removed all seal and whelch plugs.

Measured crankshaft endfloat before removing it. Well within specs, which was good to see.

Then removed the main bearing caps and crankshaft. Forged crank from factory FTW!

Never really stripped a block down before so it was a good fun.

Then rolled the block outside and degreased and pressure cleaned it. Came up so much cleaner.

Next step for the block is to measure each cylinder bore and make sure everything is within spec.

Also bought a dremel and had some spare time, so i cleaned up the piston crowns.

Also gave the transplant victim a wash for the first time in ages.

Comment

Nice work man, can't wait to see more.
                      I dislike Byron.

Comment

A bit of a photo dump showing what's been happening recently.

Ready for the machine shop to be hot tanked and honed.
                        Untitled

Genuine Pebra M528i front lip.
                        Untitled

Block cleaned.
                        Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Block painted.
                        Untitled

Untitled

Parts arriving.
                        Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
                        Last edited by epearce; 10-30-2013, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Clean E28 sir, makes me want one even more.

Comment

i like this, sub'd

Comment

Can't wait to see that new front lip on there!
                              BMW E34 V8 - Daily
                              Merc 190E - Sold
                              BMW 635CSi - Project
                              Mercedes 190e Build Thread
                              Euro BMW E24 Build Thread /Style is personal, fun is universal._____IG: @levonvandamage

Comment

Cheers for the positive comments guys

Sent the crank to the machine shop so i could fit 0.25mm oversize bearings and correct the main bearing clearances. Got it back and it looked mint!

Plastiguaged each journal and to check the clearances, all perfectly in spec

Finally got rid of the 7 series from the driveway and put it in its temporary position in the paddock.

The next project i'm super keen about!
                                Removed the front strut assemblies from the old wreck in the paddock:

Then pulled the springs and shock absorbers out and cut the strut tube off, now i just have to wait for some parts to arrive so some welding can be done

Also started rubbing the front lip back ready for painting

So many projects on the go at once!

Then fitted the crankshaft, with new bearings, assembly lube and torqued to spec.

Then fitted the conrods to pistons, and fitted new rings to the pistons.

Made sure the ring gap of each ring was spaced roughly 90 degrees apart. Compression will be effected greatly if they were too close, or at worse lined up. Also fitted new genuine conrod studs and nuts. $13 per bolt and $5 each per nut x 12. Ouch... Cheaper than putting a rod out the side of the block though.

Then fitted the pistons in their correct position and orientation.

Compressing the rings and getting it to slide in nicely was fiddly to begin with, got the hang of it by the end

Plastiguaged the big end bearings before turning the engine over or lubricated these bearings. The journals had been measured before so i expected them to be perfect.

Luckily it is on the tight side of spec, exactly what i wanted.

Big ends were then lubricated and torqued to spec. Turns over nicely, which is a relief.

Also tapped in the new rear main and crank seals, and measured oil pump clearances. Just have to clean it now before i can install it.

Nearly time to cover up the bottom end for a while and start working on the head

Comment

Working...
                                X