No announcement yet.

Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent the last couple of weeks trying to get it running better and cold starting properly. Swapped heaps of parts from the spare e28's and i think i have finally fixed it.

Also decided i should i check valve adjustments and correct them if they were out. And also clean up the rocker cover. They were all out a little but nothing major.

Degreased and pressure cleaned the rocker cover both inside and out. Got it back to near new condition.

I also welded up a platform so i can run bigger batterys in the stock location whilst being secure. Only reason for using bigger batterys is because i get them for nothing,

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks i'll have time to fix up the misaligned panels and lower it.
    Last edited by epearce; 02-20-2022, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Sub'd mate, loving all the Aussie E28's
      My shitty ratty Golf

Comment

Lovely e28.

So sad to see all those smashed up.

You should send me one of the rubber pieces from the bumpers!

Comment

Thanks again

Originally posted by willis View Post
          Lovely e28.

So sad to see all those smashed up.

You should send me one of the rubber pieces from the bumpers!
          If you don't mind paying postage i can.

Comment

I finally got the drivers door and front guard aligned properly, it was annoying me something terrible. I also improved the bonnet alignment, but sadly its still not right.

Next on the cards was lowering... with a grinder of course. I removed a rear set of struts and springs out of one of the spares as my rear struts are still good. But the front struts are too much work to remove.

Then it was time to wash, claybar, polish and wax. It came out better than i expected. Still far from perfect, but what 30 year old car that's not locked up is?

Height before lowering was 670mm front and 660mm rear from the bottom edge of the guard to the ground. It now sits at 610mm front and 585mm rear. I think it will need to go lower in the next couple of weeks.

And some outside photos in front of the house:

Apologies for the photo overload.
            Last edited by epearce; 02-20-2022, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Its been a busy 2 weeks. Was asked to take holidays at work due to lack of work. So instead of working there on BMW's i spent the two weeks working on my own.

The first job was to make a bash plate to protect the low handing M30 sump. Made it out of 3.5mm mildsteel. Mounts to the front factory supports and the subframe. Left a gap between the plate and sump of about 10mm. Which should be enough to absorb any impacts. Turned out pretty well.

All cleaned up, ready for paint.

Primed then painted gloss black.

Fitted.

Nex job was to replace the front and rear brakes as all the rotors were undersized and pads nearly worn out. Managed to get near new rotors and pads all round off the e28's in my paddock, stocked. Also cleaned up all the slides etc to make sure they would be at their best.

The fuel tank has been weeping if you fill it over 3/4s, thought it was about time i fixed it. So i pulled a tank out of the lowest kilometer e28 in the paddock. Flushed out the tank and swapped it over. They'd have to be the easiest tank to swap!!

Turns out the fuel lever sender was stuffed. So i swapped the old fuel pump and sender into the new tank. All good now.

Another job that required the use of the welder was fixing the exhaust. I cut the rear muffler off at the diff months ago due to the rear exhaust mount being broken off at the body, and not an easy fix. I thought it was about time to get it exiting the rear of the vehicle again.

So i brought two lengths of 1 3/4 inch exhaust. And welded that onto the existing exhaust.

Just a tad long...

I then made my own rear exhaust hanger, and incorporated it into the rear fuel tank mount.

It was then time to shorten the length of the pipes. To get ready for the boso inspired 45 degree bends.

I then got the 45's sitting on the angle i wanted and welded them on, then primed the welds.

Painting was next. Matt black, with gloss black tips.

Sorry for the mass amount of photos, stay tuned for a fitted picture of the exhaust and whole cars pictures in a couple of days.

Cheers
              Eden
              Last edited by epearce; 02-20-2022, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Coming along nicely bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
                  Coming along nicely bud.
                  Cheers mate

Comment

That exhaust is going to look great!
                    BMW E34 V8 - Daily
                    Merc 190E - Sold
                    BMW 635CSi - Project
                    Mercedes 190e Build Thread
                    Euro BMW E24 Build Thread /Style is personal, fun is universal._____IG: @levonvandamage

Comment

Originally posted by VanDamage View Post
                      That exhaust is going to look great!
                      Thank you

It both sounds and looks good, pictures to come.

Comment

Good progress so far, looking forward to seeing the exhaust fitted.

Comment

Super happy with how the exhaust turned out, especially when i had no prior exhaust fabrication experience. It has a great tone, but its still quite when cruising on the highway. Drove it for the first time in 5 weeks this week, its great to be back behind the wheel.

Here is a few average photos. The sun is never shining here lately, making it hard for photos.

DSCF4459_zps4c1c10a3

DSCF4462_zps12f0297a

DSCF4460_zpsdcc9ed5a

I really need to get that dent out!

Also thought i might as well make use of the bmw wheel aligner at work and give her a wheel alignment. Fixed the front toe up which was way out, the rest doesn't matter haha.
                          wheelalignment_zps2c886981

And a few extra photos from today:
                          DSCF4466_zpsc6e55667

DSCF4463_zpsbb959227

DSCF4465_zps3725a809

DSCF4467_zpsa92e47ae
                          Last edited by epearce; 08-12-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

That exhaust looks perfect,
                            Very well done bro
                            sigpic

Comment

All images now hosted with flicker due to running out of bandwith on photobucket.

Also starded looking for a e23 that has a high compression m30b34 which will then go in the e28.
                              Last edited by epearce; 08-17-2013, 06:00 AM.

Comment

I got a good laugh out of the CHEESE vin number and ILOVEMEN registration!

Comment

Working...
                                X