This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andybob View Post
    We built motors in school but never ran them after so who knows.

I def have the patience and the skill set to build a motor though. As long as I have a engine building book for specs and how to piece things together, the only other thing I would need is money. lol

I'd love to eventually build and boost the motor in my Kia. Forged rods and pistons alone go for 1k a piece, so a proper engine build on this car, with tuning, would run a pretty good deal of money. It's a long term goal. lol
    The true test of a rebuild is what happens after you add fuel for the first time. I've put 20k on my Prelude since I rebuilt it, so far so good. I've lost count how many times that car has almost tickled the fuel cut.
    BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
    Originally posted by Ollie
    We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• I just want to do a clean OEM rebuild

new rings, bearings and seals

if the stock motors manage to last 20years, I don't see the need for anything more than an OEM build, unless you are going big power, but I just want to build some motors for a reliable 200kw thrashing day in and day out
      Drinking Enthusiast with a Car Problem

Comment

• Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
        The true test of a rebuild is what happens after you add fuel for the first time. I've put 20k on my Prelude since I rebuilt it, so far so good. I've lost count how many times that car has almost tickled the fuel cut.
        When you add fuel and are going to crank it for the first time, those are indeed some very tense moments. I had a buddy rebuild a motor for a car in college, I was there when he first went to start it. He was so nervous. lol

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

• need to crank for a while without fuel to get the oil pressure up in the engine and everything lubricated otherwise adding fuel would wash the bores if it don't start straight away

Comment

Wrenching is a calming thing for me. I had some tunes on blast, a few cold beers, and a ton of motivation.

I can't wait to be in my own house and set up my own shop.

that it is except when shit goes wrong or you are working on somebody's piece of shit.

The garage is my domain my parents have stuff in the but they don't go in it much.

Originally posted by andybob View Post
            When you add fuel and are going to crank it for the first time, those are indeed some very tense moments. I had a buddy rebuild a motor for a car in college, I was there when he first went to start it. He was so nervous. lol
            Shit I am nervous about mine and I haven't even finished the assembly yet.

Comment

• speaking of nervous, I was at the Banditos club house on the weekend

Comment

• Originally posted by 180roman View Post
                I just want to do a clean OEM rebuild

new rings, bearings and seals

if the stock motors manage to last 20years, I don't see the need for anything more than an OEM build, unless you are going big power, but I just want to build some motors for a reliable 200kw thrashing day in and day out
                I'm at the age now where OEM is best. Shit, I want to put an OEM air box back on my Prelude at some point.
                Originally posted by andybob View Post
                No matter how many timing belts/engine rebuilds/major teardowns I do, the first start is always the most stressful moment.

I'm on my 6th? engine rebuild/refresh, and it never gets any easier.
                Originally posted by 180roman View Post
                need to crank for a while without fuel to get the oil pressure up in the engine and everything lubricated otherwise adding fuel would wash the bores if it don't start straight away
                100% right.

I always pull the fuse for the fuel pump and disconnect the coil. Turn over for a solid 10-15 seconds, stop, repeat. Check all the fluids, look for leaks, then insert the fuse for the fuel pump. Crank, check for fuel leaks, stop. After everything has been gone through, double-check your timing/plug wire placement, then you connect the coil and pray to God that it fires.
                We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

I'm at the age now where OEM is best. Shit, I want to put an OEM air box back on my Prelude at some point.

No matter how many timing belts/engine rebuilds/major teardowns I do, the first start is always the most stressful moment.

I'm on my 6th? engine rebuild/refresh, and it never gets any easier.

100% right.

I always pull the fuse for the fuel pump and disconnect the coil. Turn over for a solid 10-15 seconds, stop, repeat. Check all the fluids, look for leaks, then insert the fuse for the fuel pump. Crank, check for fuel leaks, stop. After everything has been gone through, double-check your timing/plug wire placement, then you connect the coil and pray to God that it fires.
                  I have acquired a free S13 airbox that I will be fitting to my car for that stealth look

6th engine rebuild, fark did any of them go wrong?

I just unplug the crank angle sensor as it can't fire injectors or spark without it

Comment

• 58 hours to go. I'm exhausted.
                    Originally posted by Oxer
                    people are such stupid cunts.
                    fuck everybody.
                    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                    listen to me carefully, go fuck yourself and never come back here again
                    Originally posted by Dudermagee
                    You're stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by 180roman View Post
                      I have acquired a free S13 airbox that I will be fitting to my car for that stealth look

6th engine rebuild, fark did any of them go wrong?

I just unplug the crank angle sensor as it can't fire injectors or spark without it
                      My Prelude went south, unfortunately. Everything interal was fine, but I forgot to ground the engine to the chassis.

Turn the key on, all the dash lights lit up dimly and flickered, nothing worked. Couldn't figure it out to save my life. I finally figured it out after tearing the wiring harness apart for the second time. Once I got it running, I couldn't get it to idle worth a shit. Idle dropped off super quick from shifting, and it would randomly die when it had to come to an idle slowing down. Turns out I left a piece of tape over the idle air control valve.

No major mechanical failures, thank God. I take my time and triple-check everything I do.

So far:
                      -350sbc in my Monte
                      -350sbc in my friend's old lot car (ran like a scalded rat)
                      -H22A4 in my friend's old Prelude (sold with 10k on the rebuild)
                      -F22B1 in my old red Accord (timing belt job)
                      -F22B4 in a friend's Accord (timing belt, head work, and clutch. In a week.)
                      -H22A4 in my Prelude
                      -D16Z6 in my younger brother's Civic

I don't know if I would count the timing belt service on my old Accord.
                      Originally posted by jdel View Post
                      58 hours to go. I'm exhausted.
                      Yikes.
                      Last edited by MommysLittleMonster; 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• Straight from the motherland:

KDM OEM mudguards to replace my broken ones. lol

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Yikes.
                          Yeah. I did 14 yesterday. Probably do another 14 today.
                          fuck everybody.
                          You're stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by andybob View Post
                            Straight from the motherland:
                            KDM OEM mudguards to replace my broken ones. lol
                            I never understood why people have such a fascination with mud guards.

Then again, I **** fixing rock chips.
                            Originally posted by jdel View Post
                            Yeah. I did 14 yesterday. Probably do another 14 today.
                            Long week for you. I don't miss working 12's.

Comment

My car came with them and I think it looks goofy without them.

I think next week I might mess around with baking my headlights. Thought about paining the inside of the bezels but I'm not sure if I want to or not.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

Long week for you. I don't miss working 12's.
                                I think I may do more than 14 today. I want to leave on Thursday. Worse comes to worse I get down to FL and do a few hours.
                                fuck everybody.
                                You're stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X