This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum lips problem

I just recently finished putting together my new wheels, with brand new lips from VR Wheels, and every time I wash the car or it rains the lips leave very heavy water marks (shown in picture). I can get them out by polishing with a power ball, but the next time I go to wash the car or it rains the spots return.

I've tried using Poorboys wheel sealant on them as well to try and prevent this, but still no luck. Any suggestions?

That is pretty normal, some products just work better, my self i've used Mothers MAG&Aluminum polish, seems to work pretty well, but still if you don't wash the wheels good and dry them water will leave as its oxinating the aluminum..

Anyway also some car washing products are nono for polished lips..
    Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
    Now: MB W211 320cdi
    Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

could be just hard water, try quik detailer and a microfiber?

Comment

clean them and then just coat them with some clear plasti dip

Don't tell me life is so short, what have you done that's longer?

Comment

As mentioned earlier, it's because you're using hard water to wash the car (and rainwater is hard).

Make sure you dry the wheels completely with a microfiber towel. If you don't allow the water to dry on the lips, it won't spot like that.
          God bless this mess

Comment

steel wool
            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
            Got Drop??

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
              steel wool
              on brand new lips?

Comment

how often do you spray your wheels with a hose? what do you wipe the wheels with afterwards? it takes all of 30 seconds to put a little blue magic on a rag and make those wheels shine.

build thread?

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_yabooty View Post
                  on brand new lips?
                  seriously. dont do this
                  -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                  -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                  MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                  Got Drop??

Comment

Hit them with some Mothers Mag/Aluminum polish then throw a couple coats of wax on them. Then when you wash your car the water will bead off and after you dry the lips, they should still be nice and shiney.

Wax is a must on raw polished aluminum IMO. I use Turtle Wax Ice synthetic Wax. Works like a beut.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

diamond brite truck box polish is the best .. protects well too since it's meant for sitting outside on a truck box.. not pussy shit like detailing supplies

Comment

i wont touch my wheels with them
                        Smith | Wesson

Comment

Originally posted by C.Johnston View Post
                          diamond brite truck box polish is the best .. protects well too since it's meant for sitting outside on a truck box.. not pussy shit like detailing supplies
                          I use a polish that's made for diamond plate on fire trucks (I paint and restore them for a living) and I gotta tell you it's incredible. I did the faces and lips on my th lines at the beginning of the season and never touched them with polish until I took them off before winter only thing I did was wash and dry. Mothers and all that crap doesn't cut or hold a shine like this stuff, and it takes a 1/4 of the effort. Also the power ball is junk, I've always used socks and I haven't found anything I like using better not sure why but for some reason I get great results with them. The stuff I use is called southern shine idk if you can find it for sale or not I get it right from my work but if you can find it give it a try, word of advice though it'll stain your hands clothes driveway tires, anything that's not what you want to polish haha. I got a quarter size drop on my parents driveway and its been through two New England winters without budging and the stuffs lime green so it stands out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Comment

Working...
                          X