This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing side molding adhesive?

I just got done removing the body side molding on my car, and now everything looks somewhat better, but now I need to figure out how to remove the leftover adhesive. Someone suggested WD-40 with an X-acto blade, and it sort of worked, but it didn't take much off. Any ideas?

(I don't care about messing up paint, everything is gonna eventually get painted over when I fix the rear bumper.)
    '94 Nissan Altima GXE
    '00 Ford Mustang GT | Domestic-Bunny

I make music and gaming videos in Cali. @ktfright

youtube.com/ktfright | ktf.bandpage.com

Kerosine or diesel fuel and a heat gun. Be careful not to burn the paint though. You shouldn't have to get the glue that hot. No knives needed, just wipe it of with a rag.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

A good item to scrub with that's not too abrasive is rucksack webbing/straps, or you can buy a specific flap wheel to do the job that goes in a drill> I think its called a Toffee wheel.
      Also a cleaning solvent called TF-90 is excellent at removing sticky residue left from this sort of thing.
      Last edited by Teknomaz; 03-25-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
        Kerosine or diesel fuel and a heat gun. Be careful not to burn the paint though. You shouldn't have to get the glue that hot. No knives needed, just wipe it of with a rag.
        Originally posted by Teknomaz View Post
        A good item to scrub with that's not too abrasive is rucksack webbing/straps, or you can buy a specific flap wheel to do the job that goes in a drill> I think its called a Toffee wheel.
        Also a cleaning solvent called TF-90 is excellent at removing sticky residue left from this sort of thing.
        Thanks guys,I'll try both and see which works. The glue is becoming an eyesore on my car.
        '94 Nissan Altima GXE

Comment

Plastic razor blade and goo gone works wonders

Comment

I removed the side door mouldings today off my Mazda 3 which left some adhesive behind but I managed to get off after a bit of work with some autosmart tardis (tar and glue remover), not sure if you can get that stuff in the states though?

Comment

I removed side moulding off my Tahoe, used heat gun to peel away mouldings and used wd40 to remove sticky residue. WD40 did a better job than Goo gone did for me. Spray the residue with wd40 and let it sit for a while, longer the better, then come back and scrape off with a plastic gift card or something plastic, dont use anything metal. I used a plastic tool for removing door panels. Do not use an exacto, you will scratch paint and possibly shave off clearcoat or worse. Just a little info, hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayrock View Post
                I removed side moulding off my Tahoe, used heat gun to peel away mouldings and used wd40 to remove sticky residue. WD40 did a better job than Goo gone did for me. Spray the residue with wd40 and let it sit for a while, longer the better, then come back and scrape off with a plastic gift card or something plastic, dont use anything metal. I used a plastic tool for removing door panels. Do not use an exacto, you will scratch paint and possibly shave off clearcoat or worse. Just a little info, hope it helps.
                Thanks!
                '94 Nissan Altima GXE

Comment

3m adhesive remover.
                  always and forever
                  Dude... My nissan has like a v8, man.

Comment

You have any money to buy a tool, there is a really good one for this. Id say >30$. Last time I checked.
                    cheap/junk/fads/build
                    HVLP
                    4 LIFE

Comment

just plasti dip over it
                      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46504

Comment

Originally posted by Bmwadkt View Post
                        just plasti dip over it
                        That's gonna be the end result, but I need to finish more of the body (Wavy left fenders and rusty holes on the left rear door) before I can start with that. The 3M and a scraper did help remove 80% of the adhesive, but there is still bits here and there.
                        '94 Nissan Altima GXE

Comment

Working...
                        X