No announcement yet.

Worst Mechanic in Australia: an E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool indeed good sir, very cool indeed.

EDIT: Wait, its mo'fuckin' april fools day. and this would be the thread to pull a swifty like that, so, not sure if serious.

Comment

Is that a tvr?
      whatever it is its not an old bmw so it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordEuro View Post
        its mo'fuckin' april fools day. and this would be the thread to pull a swifty like that
        You got me.
        Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
        Is that a tvr?
        whatever it is its not an old bmw so it sucks.
        Yes, it's a Tamora, and it is my Dad's, and I have driven it, but it's not actually mine.

APRIL FOOLS INDEED.
        When the shops open tomorrow I will be getting stuck in for serials.
        Originally posted by Stupid Kid
        You're the worst everything everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by M M View Post
          Looking forward to see what you do with the dash man. That houndstooth sounds like it could turn out pretty good. Are you able to give any more information on the supercharger? Sort of considering trying to put one on mine just because.
          Yeah, houndstooth would be cool, and it's my fallback, but a bit too conservative for my liking. I need to stop making "another e28" and build something stupid.
          I honestly have not driven the car with the supercharger yet as the previous owner took off the belt to plumb back the blowoff and lost it or threw it out or something. Took me about a month to track down a replacement belt. Seems like not a lot of people need supercharger belts for their e28 with a Toyota supercharger, so I got a belt from an industrial belting company in the same specs as the PO told me. In any case, being the worst mechanic, I could not get the radiator fan off to get enough clearance on the bottom pulley for the belt.
          I think I've since heard that the fan is reverse threaded?

Anyway, that's enough of my commiserations, it's a Toyota SC14 from a supercharged MR2 or similar (4AGZE and such). Belt driven off the crank, belt also drives the power steering, so I assume it's an existing pulley system. Looks like a custom built elbow off the top of the supercharger going into the intake. No idea about lubrication or how the blowoff works but obviously there's the pictures earlier in this thread, whatever you can figure from those is about the best I know about it. Bigger injectors for fuel too, 43lb I think? You might also have to go to a standalone ECU as well to get it to work. If you go ahead, feel free to have a chat with me, but don't expect helpful insight.
          I've been told this car made about 200hp when boosted, which is plenty good for an eta in my opinion.

Comment

Block the fan on 1 or 2 of them bolts that are on the pulley. And righty loosy lefty tighty

Comment

Originally posted by fpsthomas View Post
              Block the fan on 1 or 2 of them bolts that are on the pulley. And righty loosy lefty tighty
              Yeah, I got one of them fancy water pump holdy things, but not a spanner, so previous attempts have been with crescenty things, and with the lefty loosy mindset. After the fan would not come off, and the exhaust would not come off I just thought "EVERYTHING IS TOO TIGHT ON THIS CAR" Knowing truly is half the battle folks. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8[/ame] related, but irrelevant.

Comment

Haha where do you even find movies like that xD

Metric threads move les per twist than unc threads. Dont know the word for it in english, but thats why they seaze up faster than english threads ive been told

Comment

Originally posted by floatingdino View Post
                  Yeah, houndstooth would be cool, and it's my fallback, but a bit too conservative for my liking. I need to stop making "another e28" and build something stupid.
                  I honestly have not driven the car with the supercharger yet as the previous owner took off the belt to plumb back the blowoff and lost it or threw it out or something. Took me about a month to track down a replacement belt. Seems like not a lot of people need supercharger belts for their e28 with a Toyota supercharger, so I got a belt from an industrial belting company in the same specs as the PO told me. In any case, being the worst mechanic, I could not get the radiator fan off to get enough clearance on the bottom pulley for the belt.
                  I think I've since heard that the fan is reverse threaded?

Anyway, that's enough of my commiserations, it's a Toyota SC14 from a supercharged MR2 or similar (4AGZE and such). Belt driven off the crank, belt also drives the power steering, so I assume it's an existing pulley system. Looks like a custom built elbow off the top of the supercharger going into the intake. No idea about lubrication or how the blowoff works but obviously there's the pictures earlier in this thread, whatever you can figure from those is about the best I know about it. Bigger injectors for fuel too, 43lb I think? You might also have to go to a standalone ECU as well to get it to work. If you go ahead, feel free to have a chat with me, but don't expect helpful insight.
                  I've been told this car made about 200hp when boosted, which is plenty good for an eta in my opinion.
                  Cool thanks for that man. Might start doing some reading and see what more I can find as I've always liked the idea of a supercharger. A friend of mine suggested getting one from an old Benz which could work. We'll see. Be interested to hear how this goes once you get everything sorted. I'll let you know if I need anything more. Thanks again and good luck getting it sorted. If I was over in Australia I'd go over to give you a hand. Might have to make a flight over.

Comment

I think the fan is reverse threaded actually...
                    Because the fan spins left (i think) and if it was threaded normally it would just spin its self loose.
                    Or at least that's what my brain tells me, I'm too lazy too google it.

Anyways you need one of these:

Just search for bmw fan tool, they are like 25 usd on ebay.
                    Trust me it is totally worth it, it changes taking the fan off from an absolute nightmare to something that takes like 20 seconds.

As far as the exhaust goes, I'm guessing you're talking about the studs from the manifold to the downpipe, but this works for any of them.
                    Get a can or two of pb blaster, and soak the studs in it every couple hours for like a day or so before you try to get them off. Now if you have a compressor and a bigass impact wrench, you should be able to get them loose after that. The factory torque on them is only like 80 nm so they aren't on there that tight, they're just stuck on with corrosion.
                    If you don't have air tools, get a long extension with a bit of wobble on it, a breaker bar, and a long sturdy hollow metal pipe to slide over the end of your breaker bar. Basically try to get as long of a thing as you can to pull on because of mechanical advantage and shit. Just make hulk noises when you pull on it for extra power and you'll be good.
                    I did it that way once and I'm a skinny fit beta who barley even lifts, I only weigh like 135 pounds ha.

Knowledge!.
                    Last edited by Stupid Kid; 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Kid View Post
                      Knowledge!.
                      Yeah, I got the fan holdy tool a while back, but I didn't know the fan was reverse threaded.
                      I'm trying to unbolt the exhaust from the end of the headers, but all of the steering and stuff is in the way, I have to use the both extensions for my socket set and the flexy elbow to get onto the bolts (I have 2 or 3 out of 4 off) and with the car on axle stands, it's really difficult to get enough leverage on the socket when I'm on my back.

Anyway, I went to Spotlight today and checked out some material for doorcards and dash reupholstery, but I realised I don't really know what kind of material I want, or what is appropriate for it. Oliver tells me "something with a bit of stretch".

#3 is my favourite, but I'm craving some more ruckus. Tell me what you guys think.
                      This is good, but I'm holding off on getting a credit card, because I know I will never get the car registered if I had access to my money online:
                      http://www.ebay.com.au
                      This is suitable ruckus level (but cotton, so I guess not useful for upholstery), but I think I need a less bold colour - a grey or brown I think.
                      http://www.ebay.com.au/
                      A paisley sort of thing would be perfect, but I feel like anything I find that is a cool pattern will be too light for upholstery work and will tear and face quickly.

/seriouspost
                      Last edited by floatingdino; 04-02-2013, 04:16 AM.

Comment

I dont like you, and I dont like your car.
                        BECAUSE YOUR HAIR FLOWS SO SOFTLY IN THE WIND WHEN IT TOUCHES MY EYELIDS AND I THINK THE E28 CHASSIE IS THE BEST BECAUSE OF REASONS.
                        "A bad apple, like an unemployed macintosh"

Comment

A paisley sort of thing would be perfect, but I feel like anything I find that is a cool pattern will be too light for upholstery work and will tear and face quickly.
                          Just saw this, took me a good moment to realise I meant "fade".
                          Someone, I need a meme of this right now.

Originally posted by JHank View Post
                          I dont like you, and I dont like your car.
                          BECAUSE YOUR HAIR FLOWS SO SOFTLY IN THE WIND WHEN IT TOUCHES MY EYELIDS AND I THINK THE E28 CHASSIE IS THE BEST BECAUSE OF REASONS.
                          People, I appreciate the love, but this thread is already 3 pages and I have only destroyed my interior and changed wheels.
                          STOP LOVING ME.
                          no don't go
                          Serious note; I want to paint my rocker cover, any recommendations on prep and such? Will I need to strip it? Prime? {Worst mechanic out}

Comment

yeah If you're spraying your rocker cover. better sand it first, then prime it, then if the finish came out like orange peel. Wet flat it with some 1200 grit paper. then spray on your basecoat, and lastly lacquer. if you wont primer it etc, then most likely your paint will just flake off with time.

Comment

People, I appreciate the love, but this thread is already 3 pages and I have only destroyed my interior and changed wheels.
                              STOP LOVING ME.
                              no don't go
                              Serious note; I want to paint my rocker cover, any recommendations on prep and such? Will I need to strip it? Prime? {Worst mechanic out}
                              Man, solid effort changing wheels and destroying stuff, what I do regularly.

Anyway, to paint it, pull it off, give it a good sand down of all paint/flaking crappyness on it or anything of the like, give it a good wash and degrease, let it dry, hit it with high temp engine paint and your set!

As for that material, I was very disappointed in your choices I thought it was going to be something RIDICULOUS to cause maximum ruckus, something like:

Comment

I took some photos of like, gold leotard material and corduroy, but my friend told me I was making too much of a ruckus. I want it to be different, not sickening.

Comment

Working...
                                X