Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HYPETODAY // '89 Mercedes-Benz W124 260E

Arrow HYPETODAY // '89 Mercedes-Benz W124 260E

hello guys!
    i'm markus from germany and do some design and marketing with action sports background. i'm here to introduce my first proper car, a '89 mercedes e-class sedan.

follow me: instagram | facebook

the benz was a spontaneous ebay purchase after i saw one of this pictures:

900 kilometer later, the boy was at home - next to stuttgart, the cradle of mercedes. at first i brought the mercedes 15" wheels into the basement. except for some damage to the clearcoat there is nothing unrepairable. the car is in a tidy condition at 275.000 kilometer now. some superficial rust on the side skirt, because one of the previous owners slipped once with the car lift. also at a rear wheel housing is a small rust spot. there are a few warm start problems - but nothing serious.

the goal was quickly defined: us, low and facelift. unlike in the united states, japan or sometimes switzerland - there are only big license plate hollows in germany. so I looked for the adapter for the front.

unfortunately I had problems with the approval agency and have not got the smallest possible license plate. thats very difficult at germany.

next, I replaced the wood in the middle tunnel - without knowing what I was doing yet.

of course i washed the daimler between times. dirty winter times.

while i looked at him, i thought that the dark color does not match the grey interior. however, what i need for a color change was not clear to me - the smallest plastic trim, sun visors, seals, covers, carpets and much more... fortunately, a user of a german w124 forum could help me. so i got all the things i needed and he no longer needed.

time for some german autobahn and work at a local drift training.

back at home, i had the opportunity to 2 great deals. one us boot lid and some 7.5*17 evo wheels with some traces of ride. i've been looking for a while for a car boot lid, but these are way too expensive in germany. i also wanted the right color so i would not have to paint. again a user from a german forum helped with a hint. whether i get the wheels back to their original state - i do not know.

slightly longer time before, i already got bilstein shock absorbers and some k.a.w. springs - 60 in the front and 40 in the rear. so it was time to get this into the car.

the result: too high.

meanwhile i got the facelift tail lights and the wheels. i trade a lot - better you can not get parts.

on a scrap yard near, i found the matching bonnet with avantgarde grill. maybe he also had my desired seats and door boards.

it's a long way, there's more to come! hope you enjoy the thread!
    Last edited by hypetoday; 05-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Nice start man

Nice start indeed man

same year as my w124

has anyone a few lowering hints especially for the w124? without cutting?

time for a tiny little update.

the postman rang. beautiful! i like the facelift taillights much more than the old ones with the orange indicators.

other news: i got the bars in the right color for below the headlights. only a small update, but important for the facelift.

this book here helps me a lot - is it known? it's called "how it's done" with an incredible number of instructions which is available for almost every car.

next update.

i'm really happy about the rims. have now also considered how i can renew them.

last weekend i swapped headlights and bonnet. i like it a lot better and i'm on the modern look with the avantgarde grill.

also i've started with my new gear knob. i have yet to paint the ball and sew a matching bag.

Nice work so far. Updates please.

Let's see where this leads to.
    Especially with TÜV approval.
    My 1978 Porsche 924 build thread is quite boring.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

STRLW // Photography focused on vehicles

thanks guys! i will post an update in the next few days!

That is a good work ! I want to see the rest

Who knew German parts were actually cheaper outside of Germany hahaha

Erin sehr schone auto meir herr. Keep us updated.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

small update.

last week i visited some friend for a small engine check up. lots of nice cars at backyard!

he also ownes a nice slammed jetta in a really good condition - someone from germany around? it's for sale!

i've started the first fabric test for the gear knob - it's and old jeans, but it fits.

next step was painting to ball. failed. maybe i'm a bad painter or the clear coat is bad. so a friend will do this now.

then we tried the final fabric - it's my design printed on cotton. the final will be red. i really like these kind of details.

update.

yihaa! the completely handmade gear knob is finished. it's just a detail but i love it. especially the hypetoday fabric.

The gear knob and frabic look really well together, the fabric looks orange which looks better IMO
    Not a cop

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Stance View Post
    The gear knob and frabic look really well together, the fabric looks orange which looks better IMO
    thank you! it's kind of orange but basically red. maybe i will change later into deep red.

Looks awesome, especially the shifter.

Digging this so far

Quote Originally Posted by hypetoday View Post
    update.

yihaa! the completely handmade gear knob is finished. it's just a detail but i love it. especially the hypetoday fabric.

this looks so awesome I love the knob man, great attention to detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by s t a y g o l d View Post
    and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
    S4 Avant - Build Thread

that Knob is pretty awesome !

also really like that Jetta, is it a Coupe ??

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    that Knob is pretty awesome !

also really like that Jetta, is it a Coupe ??
    thanks, man! yes, it is. interested in?

next update. since i last wrote something, some time is passed. although i have not taken many photos, but it has changed a lot.

because the wheels had some curb damage, a friend has taken care of this first. now i have a base with which i can do something again.

after nearly 4 months of waiting, the us tailgate is finally here. the color fits and the shape also. happy!

door panels - i wasn't satisfied with the material. trial and error.

for the lowering kit i need shorter shock absorbers. each of you knows that. so were the original to be fully measure to make some new and shorter ones. unfortunately i'm still waiting. from a Mercedes car dealership i got original spring rubbers. which are available for this car in 4 versions. depending on the equipment, mercedes has previously installed differently thick gums. i get the thinnest. which again makes about 2 centimeter difference.

later, a friend has given me 2 black front seats. So the date had come to replace the whole grey interior with the black one. my vehicle is a pre-face and the equipment was from a facelift model - the thing that has not necessarily simplified. mercedes has changed a lot, even little things like the inner life of the ashtray. but with the help of my father and 10 hours time, everything worked. thanks dad!

only few days later, someone asked me if i would have leather seats. it was near and so i dropped by. except for the leather, i still got many small parts. for example, a color-matching ashtray in perfect condition or painted mirrors.

also pointless details such as unused covers for the window crank i have now. left new, right old. why not.

now i have disassembled the door panels and carefully glue the edges again. i replace the door handles with those from the other door panels. so everything is tidy again.

alot of attention to detail! this is what i like most about builds,. the attention to interiors, and changing the smallest things can make a massive difference! the shifter is perfect, and its a modern touch in an older car, but works really well get those e190 cossie wheels put on! they look a lot like my merc ml ronal type 163 wheels!

small update.

today i installed the front seats and the rear door panels. next is a complete leather care.