Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76 Mini Clubman Estate

This is where I am at as of 4/20/14

Well, this one will be a slow build as it is the toy car, and on the back burner really till spring. But I wanted to start up a build thread to show some ideas, and where it is heading. Years ago I built another Estate and sold it to my buddy, and thus regretted it. So I sold my Mini Saloon to a customer which I will be starting his build in March, and bought this 76 Estate over in UK and shipped her over. Currently it's got a 1098cc 4 cylinder engine, 4 speed, Right hand drive. Since I have built so many different conversions over the year, suzuki powered, integra Gsr powered, I want to do something special with this one. Right now I am leaning towards a s2000 front mount, rear wheel drive so I can still keep the space inside.

As far as suspension is concerned, I will be building a one off air ride kit. Going to use hopefully the ride tech 7000 series bag/shock setup. I will have to tub the rear, just finished painting some aero race wheels for it, have yet to get the tires mounted up. Fender flares I made. If you guys haven't figured out I have a hard on for wagons. Anway, on to the pictures.

Picking her up at Baltimore Port.

Hour later got the 13x7 deep dish steelies I made from a 60's MGB rehooped.

I polished the grill, iridium coated headlights

Will be doing a one piece rear bumper.

Roof rack I got off the Trabant, may chop it down lower and paint it black, still on the fence about it.

Seats from my old Mini, just had to refoam and make up the backseats.

Will be converting door cards to black at some point... when it gets warmer!

New Aero race wheels, 13x7 Backspacing 2" and 4"

New tires to go on the Aero Wheels.... little bigger, Yoko A048r Medium compound

Changed out the mirrors to these to try them out.

Old engine setup....

Old suspension with temporary new setup.

Last edited by notabmw1; 04-21-2014, 08:41 AM.

1998 Astro, 1976 Mini Clubman Estate, 1985 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Basically along the lines of this...

Obviously being on an Estate I don't have to worry about modifying the fuel tank.

Comment

This is going to get crazy. Can't wait to see how it progresses!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
      I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

Yessss, I love mini's. I'm still trying to find one for in my price range!
        1999 Lexus GS300 | Bagged | Wed Kranze Borphes | STUPID

2001 325i |Coupe | Carbonfiber | Comfy

Comment

I'd love an Estate..maybe one day.

Super excited to see where this goes.

Comment

This thing is a busload of cool.

Pun intended.
            BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
            Originally posted by Ollie
            We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Currently I have the 2 clock setup in front of the driver. I have a center gauge dash I've been saving for a few years and I want to do something different as well. Basically a spin on the classic look but with electronic speedo/tach combo. I would use a GPS sender for the speedo, same thing I am doing in the Morris. Which one do you guys like better? I will be using a smiths 2 1/16 fuel gauge on the left, and a dual oil pressure/water temp on the right, so I prefer it to be black face, chrome ring...

OR

Here are the other two guages I have currently...

SMITHS DUAL GAUGE-OIL/WATER-BLACK FACE-VEE BEZEL

SMITHS FUEL GAUGE-BLACK FACE-VEE BEZEL

Comment

Looks like you're going in a good direction with this.

I've been trying to find a suitable air ride kit for my '72 Clubman Estate but I haven't found anything yet.

Comment

Dat interior, I wish my e30's was plaid.

Comment

Finally got the tires mounted up, 175/50 13 Yoko Ao48's... medium compound. Can't wait to get them on there.

A little bit of dish with 4" b.s.

Comment

Got the new shoes on, Need to lower it now... Maybe in a couple weeks before the cruise.

Little bit of poke

Front is super high!

Comment

can't wait to see it lower

also i'm super surprised i see a Trabant in USA, tell us more about it

flickr

Comment

Well the Trabant is strangely how I got into Mini's. My wife is from East Germany, and we settled on a mini because it looked "similar" to a trabant, or atleast she thought so, and I was having a really hard time tracking one down. 5 years later I found one 30 minutes from me. The guy brought over 4 from Hungaria or a dealership lot. Bonus was it was a wagon! So I did a quick resto on it to surprise my wife. She had no idea, had my buddy redo the Polizei decals, I fabbed up a light bar, and fixed the old siren. Then one night I pulled her over coming home from work. She was in tears. Her parents just recently visited and her dad was tinkering on it.He had one probably for 15 years, and he was laughing that a Trabant is in the USA. Anyway, I got it ready for the Trabant Parade at the spy museum back in November. Was a great show, and I can say I have a 1 of a kind Trabi. I lowered it, negative camber on the rear, dyed the interior black. Not real big plans, cause to be honest I don't won't to take to much away from the originality of what makes the car special, so the 2 stroke, 2 cylinder engine is staying. Anyway, here is a pic from the parade:

No that is not me standing next to it! Ha.

Comment

Amazing!
                            (And I'm still speecless, you've got a Trabant over there.)
                            My 1978 Porsche 924 build thread is quite boring.
                            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

STRLW // Photography focused on vehicles

Comment

Did a quick shop..Did a one piece bumper, I still don't like the tag location. I might have to move it to the left door like my other Estate I had. And of course slammed... let's see if I can get it stanced before the CMR spring run!

Comment

Working...
                              X