No announcement yet.

76 Mini Clubman Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finally got on it in between working on the van. Had a few set backs. Rear subframe has really had it along with a bunch of other components as you will see. Hoping to get this thing lower and converted to disc brakes before the Mini Run. Here's a few pics:

Old cones, ORIGINAL from 76, yikes.

Check out the rear cones, probably some of the worst I have seen.

Test fitting sump guard, will need some tweaking.

Oh look, backing plate not wanting to be part of the lowered party. Good thing I had a extra set. To bad all the bolts snapped replacing it.

Lowered SPAX adjustable shocks and blue springs. Found a old set of camber brackets, tossed those on, oh the fun of almost 40 year old bolts that have never been turned.

Trimming a little off the inside lip to get that extra 1/2" or so. Cambered right in.

The money shot of where I'm heading.

1998 Astro, 1976 Mini Clubman Estate, 1985 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Comment

Not much of an update, finished most of the suspension. Contemplating if I will have time to do the disc brake conversion, lower adjustable camber arms, bleed brakes, and get it aligned/setup before next weekend with only 1 day to work on it. I may stop here till after the Mini Run. Anyway here is another Mini I have been working on. Will be for sale probably around June hopefully. It is a d16a6 crx/civic si engine/trans. Left to complete... wiring, fuel lines, modify intake manifold to fit better, interior, and full respray.

Comment

when i first saw the tyres i thought it wasn't gonna work

looks awesome tho with those flares
        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Got a bit more done, will have to stop for a little bit due to the run being this coming weekend. Hoping to still fabricate the dash, all new gauges, dye the door cards black, maybe swap to disc if I have time. But onto the pics:

Hs4 Carb leaking at the jet tub, had to fabricate a piece out of a... believe it or not, brake flare did the trick.

Working on getting it done, will go SC fuel injection this summer.

Need more low.

Front rims will sit out once I get the drums on there. The rears are past flush, cambered in a hair, need more camber!
          Last edited by notabmw1; 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I really love the look of this, the wheel and arch combo really works.

I'm teetering between static and air for my estate, I'm just not sure if I can hide the compressor and tank anywhere.

Comment

I don't see why a pancake tank, or maybe a small 3 gallon wouldnt fit in the spare tire location... That's what I am planning, although I have not measured yet. Could also build some false walls on the side to kind of finish it off behind the rear seat... I just carpeted my rear load area, now I am starting to think about wood... must resist.

Comment

I've got a custom boot floor in mine with the fuel tank in the middle so no hiding in the spare wheel well for me.

I guess I could just sit the tank on the underside of the floor near the rear valance.

Comment

Originally posted by notabmw1 View Post
                  Not much of an update, finished most of the suspension. Contemplating if I will have time to do the disc brake conversion, lower adjustable camber arms, bleed brakes, and get it aligned/setup before next weekend with only 1 day to work on it. I may stop here till after the Mini Run. Anyway here is another Mini I have been working on. Will be for sale probably around June hopefully. It is a d16a6 crx/civic si engine/trans. Left to complete... wiring, fuel lines, modify intake manifold to fit better, interior, and full respray.

what are you going to ask for it?

Comment

Originally posted by 93foxx View Post
                    what are you going to ask for it?
                    Probably around $17-18k depending on where I end up. It's getting a full respray, new interior, custom dash/gauges, new wheels, arches. It's got coilovers on it right now, disc brakes, etc. I have a full spread sheet of the build, and where I need to take it. Last one I built had a b18c1, and sold for around $23k. But I may have a previous customer lined up to buy this one, he drove down last weekend to check it out, and I think he is on the hook. Would cost you probably $25-$30k to do the same build.

Comment

Did you have to do any bulkhead/firewall mods to get that D16 in there? It seems to sit very nicely in the round nose.

Comment

You don't have to, your suppose to cut the manifold and use 45 degree silicon elbows. But I just bought a venom intake and I am hoping it will clear with minimal mods. This one just touches. But again, compared the b18c1 swap I did with extended front, I think the d series is the way forward. Not enough power than pop a turbo on there and get 250whp! I just like the weight (50lbs savings over stock A-series), fit and finish.... and cost! (When getting into a swap like this)

Comment

So I did one last push to get the car ready for the CMR Spring Run that I put together. Ended up having 25 Classic Mini's show up and 2 Bini's. Car turned out great, was an immense amount of work to get done, but made it just in time. Had 2 break downs on the 6 hour drive, but minor stuff. Clutch master cylinder lost enough fluid I couldn't shift, so had to refill and bleed on the side of the road. Then I had the alternator go on the drive back, extra battery got me home. Anyway, onto the pictures, and yes I had to raise the car a bit, I had 2 extra passengers and still managed to crack my rear right fender.

Pulled the interior

Cleaned it and dyed it with duplicolor flat black. Turned out fantastic as usual.

Built up the disc brakes for the front

Got them all bled out.

Little box to hold all my spares, etc in.

The start of making the new center gauge setup

Wiring fun

Dash all done

Where I needed to trim now that I had disc brakes on it

Sump guard modified.

Figured since I still had a few hours left I would whip up a roof rack

Welded some Mini studs on there to mount spare

All done and painted up

At Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, VA for the start of the run.

The bugatti

Morgan 3 wheeler I will build one day.

The line up of Mini's getting ready.

First break down, getting the full experience, great guys to have.

Getting ready to get on the Whites Ferry

Going to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain

Fueling up for the drive home.

Cracked arch by end of run

Comment

Having fun with the blue one now. Still need to tweak a few things on the Estate, might get on it tomorrow or Friday. I **** rust.

Comment

So been enjoying it here and there, and just completed the Mini 54 down in Wythville, VA. I decided if I wasn't going to do an engine swap in this one than I would toss a turbo on it. So I picked up a IHI RHB31 Turbo... and I also scored a brand new Weber Downdraft DGV 32/36 with a turbo plenum. I am gonna piece together some stuff and see what happens. Probably take a little while since I got 2 other more "important" car projects to finish, but it will find it's way on over the winter.

Comment

*It's so cute!*
                                Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

Working...
                                X