Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes me genuinely happy to think one day someone is going to search "Wet sanding" and they're going to find this thread. Their search will be over, everything they could ever need to know will be here.

Comment

this guy has the right idea. He goes so far as to sand the underbody of his car. I think he needs to use a bit more water though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XrSCwoDNc"]Niño remodela el M3 de su padre / Kid crashes Daddy´s BMW M3 into rocks - YouTube[/ame]
      Last edited by Jlyons617; 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtmorto View Post
        Okay so instead of taking the time to sand everything, I figured why not just try and flip the car over at a high rate of speed down the highway. That way it gets my heart rate up, making my heart stronger by working harder, and it gets rid of the orange peel. Additionally, the glass on the windshield is a little pitted from being so old, so it'll shatter that (hopefully) which solves that problem. The view will be so clear it will be like I don't even have a windshield!

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
          this guy has the right idea. He goes so far as to sand the underbody of his car. I think he needs to use a bit more water though.

Niño remodela el M3 de su padre / Kid crashes Daddy´s BMW M3 into rocks - YouTube
          Now THAT is dedication!

Originally posted by willis View Post
          It makes me genuinely happy to think one day someone is going to search "Wet sanding" and they're going to find this thread. Their search will be over, everything they could ever need to know will be here.
          Haha that's going to be awesome. Someone will reply "hey OP so the flypaper in gravel idea sanded it down, but now it won't polish. Did this work for you?" To which I will reply "You need more gravel."
          tumblr
          flickr
          instagram

Comment

My first response is always well did you use it wet or dry? and however they answer say well you should have done it the other way.
            Last edited by Oh, Word?; 02-22-2013, 03:19 PM. Reason: 5" taint.

Comment

Good call. Though, I mainly like to prep the surface with some aircraft stripper before any light sanding is applied. Helps with strain on the arms from all the back and forth.
              cheap/junk/fads/build
              HVLP
              4 LIFE

Comment

Fly paper and gravel is a fantastic idea.

I have found though some old bricks work much better, no need for a sanding block, a brick is a block and paper all built in.

Once you are ready to buff, make sure you apply the buffing compound straight to the buffer, dip it in some very course sand, and then buff. It cuts the paint much quicker and doesn't leave swirl marks as bad.

Good luck

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has suggested angle grinders yet. Like, I use those for sanding everything. Fingernails too.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                    I'm surprised nobody has suggested angle grinders yet. Like, I use those for sanding everything. Fingernails too.
                    Definitely gonna try that next week. lol.
                    Last edited by ktfright; 06-05-2013, 04:19 AM.
                    '94 Nissan Altima GXE
                    '00 Ford Mustang GT | Domestic-Bunny

I make music and gaming videos in Cali. @ktfright

youtube.com/ktfright | ktf.bandpage.com

Comment

Never thought of using the angle grinder on my nails. I usually clip them with my dikes when I've got some down time at work.

Comment

haha i just read every reply to this thread why not just throw a bag of sand on the car?

well. i want to see some serious answers to i will soon paint my car with 2K paint that is for boats. if it gets some orange peel, can i just sand of some paint wilt 2000 grit and then clear coat?

as for you mtmorto, i think 2000 would be perfect just dont take away to much and polish the car afterwards

Comment

I use 1500 and 3000 on black, 2000 on every other color. The key is evenly distributing the weight of the sanding (i.e. using a block instead of your finger tips.) Other than that, it's all in not burning the paint and finishing it properly with buffing
                          4 Cars, 0 Cupholders

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                            I lol'd :

Comment

Originally posted by hi its me alec View Post
                              I use 1500 and 3000 on black, 2000 on every other color. The key is evenly distributing the weight of the sanding (i.e. using a block instead of your finger tips.) Other than that, it's all in not burning the paint and finishing it properly with buffing
                              ^this.

when your buffing just make sure your paint isnt dry. use a low speed & go easy. if your fighting the buffer your doing it wrong

Comment

The paint on my BMW 2002tii. Sorry I should have been more clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X