BMW Z4 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this has a lot of potential, looking foward to it
    i have two e30's sitting in my driveway but sadly nothing happens very quickly

my tumblr for anyone thats interested: http://crispyas.tumblr.com/

Comment

Cheers peeps!

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
      from a smart to a z4....

Lol. Whut?!
      Numbers were too good to pass up on.

More updates now.

As you probably can tell, I'm a bit of an audio junkie...so I started my build today. 3 weeks after ownership.

Equipment to be used:

iPhone 5 (as source)
      HRT iStreamer
      Audison Bit10D signal processor
      JL Audio HD900/5 amplifier
      Hertz HSK165 2 way component speakers
      JL Audio 10W7 with a high output box
      JL Audio CP208LG-W3v3 (twin 8w3 with JL's slot ported box)
      Stinger 4 gauge HPM wire

Notes:

>I will also have the factory stereo connected too, though it's only use is the bluetooth.

>The midrange in the door will stay connected and left alone (for the bluetooth)

>The primary source will be via the HRT iStreamer which is an outboard DAC for iOS devices

>The rear stage will be upgraded too, with a separate amplifier (Alpine MRP-f300), the mid range will be replaced with a bullet tweeter and the woofer with 6w3

>The 2 way components will be run actively (without the passive crossover), there will be some time alignment action going on hence the need to run active.

>The car is relatively quiet already which is great, however there will be more sound deadening applied

>With the exception of the iStreamer, this system has been installed in my previous car. I love how the equipment sounds and the flexibility of the settings/weight/compactness. Like with my old install, the amplifier and processor will both be under the driver's seat.

Now for pictures

Started today by offering up my equipment and gauging if any wire would need to be ordered. Luckily so far the wire from my previous car is long enough. Brilliant.

After that, it was time to get the woofers in.

Started in the afternoon but it was stupidly cold hence I didn't get any pictures making the first speaker adapter, for the second I did.

Wood and jig.

IMG_7854 by NeilllP, on Flickr

Traced and cut.

IMG_7857-Edit by NeilllP, on Flickr

Test fit.

Test fit by NeilllP, on Flickr

All sits nicely.

IMG_7867 by NeilllP, on Flickr

Bolted the adaptor in.

IMG_7872 by NeilllP, on Flickr

And then the speaker.

IMG_7877 by NeilllP, on Flickr

That's all I've done for today. I've no need for the car as a daily driver hence the lose trim and wires everywhere aren't a concern. I will be taking my time with the build and making sure everything is perfect. The last picture the speaker isn't screwed all the way in as it'll be out again so I can chuck some deadener and egg box foam in the back.

Comment

Really liked what you had done with the Smart Brabus, but thanks for sharing your struggles with the car. With the potential of the Zed4 (especially a coupe) I'm sure it's going to be a brilliant build.

Just curious as to why coupe vs convertible? (besides the fact that uk has shit weather

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Thanks man!

Went for the coupe for a few reasons.

a) Don't like converts.
          b) Audio is hard to sound good in a convert
          c) the Z4 coupe just looks so much more badass than the roadster.

With the weekend comes more updates.

Deadener ordered (having used Dynamat and sworn by the stuff, Silent coat boasts far better value for money)

59. Deadener. by NeilllP, on Flickr

Then set about applying the stuff.

Door card off again by NeilllP, on Flickr

Silent Coat. by NeilllP, on Flickr

Silent Coat. by NeilllP, on Flickr

Kicks deadened too. by NeilllP, on Flickr

2 Layers of Silent Coat. by NeilllP, on Flickr

Two layers in most places. Went on like a treat and did a knock test (as passenger side is completely untouched) and the difference was enough to put a huge smile on my face.

Even the sound of closing the door. : Will be interesting to see the effects once the boot gets done.

Comment

Minor audio upgrades blah blah blah....

now for some fun.

IMG_8899 by NeilllP, on Flickr

Comment

Awesome Neil! Will be good to see it lowered

Comment

Thanks! I can't wait!

IMG_8933 by NeilllP, on Flickr

Comment

IMG_8950-Edit by NeilllP, on Flickr

Okay, so the car isn't slammed hellaflush or whatever you want to call it...yet.

I asked for them to lower it by about 30mm. I didn't bother with all the scene activities of measuring, but it is a bit lower. Springs of course are still to settle.

I will get some proper lows in a few weeks once everything settles in. Then I will set about adjusting the dampers to perfect the ride. Currently though, the drive home wasn't crashy or overly bumpy. Thumbs up from me so far!

Comment

Wow. I LOVE these things as coupes, the roadster is nice but the coupe is just amazing. Can't wait to see where it goes

Comment

some prep for DC...which is later on today.

IMG_8967 by NeilllP, on Flickr

can't begin to describe how much better the car drives. I'm very very happy with the kit at the moment! Now to source some wheels.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Thanks!

I'd say the coils are starting to bed in nicely.

IMG_9044 by NeilllP, on Flickr

Comment

What do we have here? by NeilllP, on Flickr

Comment

169. Teaser by NeilllP, on Flickr

Comment

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Working...
                                X