Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early E30 build kinda euro kinda who cares, it keeps me sane.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early E30 build kinda euro kinda who cares, it keeps me sane.

Hey all, theres a ton of great cars and builds around here, i am always browsing around trying to keep the drool to a minimum. Seems like everyone here has one common love unlike a lot of other sites that make me want to claw my eyes out and replace them with meatballs. I too share this love.

A friend of mine suggested i post up my progress of my newly acquired 84 318i, so i guess ill throw myself to the wolf pack and see what happens.

First off, I like what i like, and I'm doing things the way i like them. I'm just into this thing for a daily driver and want to have fun working on it and adorning it with killer stuff. I have always loved e30s, and finally had an opportunity to pick one up. However, i dont have the funds to go full up resto rebuild, so i figured i'd keep it simple and take it all a step at a time. But stance was/is definitely in its future no matter what.

So i found this thing on craigslist, 158k miles (with the odo gears stripped), ran decent, and pretty clean interior, straight body and paint (no rust) so i pulled the trigger. Its an 84 318i with the m10. I know its not a 325, but damnit i couldnt find one in the time i needed and they were getting more expensive by the day it seemed. Hey, f@ck off its still an e30, and the lightest one ever made... Low and slow it'll be i guess :P

Here she is the night i got her and the next day... youve all seen them before i know. BTW: sorry for the iphone/instagram photos but its how ive documented the stuff and its easy and fast when i want to snap a pic.

Oh I redded out the rear light corners, and had a muffler and tip i liked put on. The whole exhaust had to be re hung. You can see them and the tails in the above pic.

Great fun little car to rip around. I was in love with the way it looked and drove right away, although i know the european models always got cooler trim. So, i knew i wanted to morph it a little bit, so my search began.

First thing i did was maintenance. I didnt really take photos of this but it included a long laundry list of parts from fuel pump to spark plugs to injectors gaskets, filters, etc. So heres a cool shot of the valve cover of the m10. BTW its fun and easy to work on, almost like a toyota. Yah i battled with the AFM issues and Idle control valve crap all typical of e30s. Ive almost got everything sorted at this point.

Whilst searching parts, i ran in to the CATUNED crew here in sac by chance, and was bullshitting with them about typical problems. Instead of a solution i ended up walking out with these lol.

And i got a sticker! Im cool now!

I went to euro sunday with my head held low in shame for bringing a nearly stock car to a meet with so many high end customs and exotics. But hey! i was still drivin a early e30!
    Last edited by skunkworx; 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and... well, sometimes it eats you...

Build thread here:
    http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=40225

So next was the odometer and tach issue. New SI board, new ODO gears, and i am still having the tach issue after this so theres more to be done but thats later. This is where the old batteries from 28 years ago fried the board with leakage.

Next, i found some complete euro bumpers in okay shape but they were down in ventura and im not paying double to have them shipped. so i drove.

and fit them in the ski pass of my is300

I couldnt wait so i put the front on that night and the rear the next day. Heres the front install.

The next thing up was something i was really excited about. It went on with the rear euro bumper. While waiting for it to come, i couldnt even find a picture of one installed on a car, so i really had no idea how it would look. I like it, it might be my favorite part of the car so far... Heres how it went....

and this is how the license plate sits for now until i can think of something better...

My brakes were in bad shape and dragging while driving so when rotors and pads came in i slapped them on with new fluid and a good bleeding....my calipers still need a rebuild tho...

Then a couple days later my euro front facelift was about to be one step further...real deal.

Heres the install of the headlights... Pretty easy and what a change for the better.

Grills on

Then headlights...

and my custom plate came today, nothing fancy, i just really wanted to use an umlaut on the plate, i have always liked how they look on the license plates. and i wanted a space to put the stickers. I like the stickers. Its not installed yet just waiting on the frame. It just means "early e30". The Hessen seal is for where my family is from. I thought it to be an appropriate and personal toutch. The year pollution sticker was supposed to be 1985 for my birth year, but the assholes shipped me 2014 instead. Oh well, not a big deal.
    Last edited by skunkworx; 01-14-2013, 09:42 PM.

Build thread here:

Comment

unlike a lot of other sites that make me want to claw my eyes out and replace them with meatballs.
      what a visual

welcome man, thats looking fantastic... what are your plans for suspension ?

Comment

Waiting on fully sickening stupid rediculous coilovers to arrive, so that will be the next big thing. Its going to go as low as i can make it, and it being an m10 the oil pan is higher than on the 325s so thats definitely a plus. Ive got some LED bulbs to light up the alpina filler piece better too, ill update when i can. After the drop ill be doing a proper photo shoot so check back for that as well. Thanks!

Oh BTW the wheel specs are 16x8 ET20. Fronts gonna be good but back will need at least 20-25mm spacers.
        Last edited by skunkworx; 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM.

Build thread here:

Comment

wow u lucky SOB! Nice find on the bumpers! And i spy a t28 rc! yeeeee
          IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

lookin good!
            wait..what?

Comment

Originally posted by PastaBatman View Post
              lookin good!
              Thanks! Its coming along ive got so much more to do im never satisfied!

Originally posted by Rob&co View Post
              wow u lucky SOB! Nice find on the bumpers! And i spy a t28 rc! yeeeee
              Thanks! lol, ya the t28 hasnt seen the air in a while, but yeeeee is right! it sure is fun to zip around!

Build thread here:

Comment

I wish i could afford a euro setup, looks awesome keep it up man!
                E30 Buildthread
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34177
                IG: Logyt

e28 sig by logyt, on Flickr

Comment

Killing it.
                  1981 300TD 4 speed
                  2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                  , on Flickr
                  IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

UPDATE: Bled the brakes again...

Robbed a nut from the a/c compressor for the power steering pump because it was loose... a/c isnt hooked up anyway.

mounted back right...

Then on the way to work the next morning, this happened...

The alternator came loose and wasnt spinning the water pump or itself, so no charge, no cool, no good.

My motor has had some very fierce vibrations since i got it at around 3700rpm, and nuts and bolts have basically been rattling out for the last 5 thousand miles. The blow by could probably compress an air tank, and the oil leak from around the head gasket was getting worse. I decided it was time, so i called in to work to let them know i wasnt coming in, and limped it to the CAtuned shop.

Hung out all day, made a plan with the guys, and left it there. I went down to the shop today to help Alex with the parts swapping to the new motor and to do the cleaning of parts so he could work on the more important stuff. I'm glad were doing it over there and not in my garage, having a lift and everything a full shop includes is very nice. Special thanks to all the CAtuned guys they are really good dudes, with true passion for these cars, i am so very glad to just be a part of it and the good things they do over there. On to the photos....

Ready for heart transplant

I showed up at 9, Alex already had the motor pulled...

We had a battle royale with one of the tranny bolts, ended up grinding the head off, but we tried everything else first...

So then i got to work on cleaning the replacement motor...Before i started:

And after a lot of wire brushing, wd40, rubbing, and singing along to every song that came across pandora...

I didnt take any more photos, but when i left alex was still working on it, we were about 70% done swapping the parts over to the new motor. But im also replacing the clutch, water pump, a couple coolant hoses, and there is some soldering work that needs to be done at one of the connectors. Parts come monday, and ill be back after work in the afternoon to lend another hand with anything i can without getting in the way. But hell, they might already have it in by then they do sick work. Thanks again guys. Stay tuned everyone else, updates in a couple days.

Build thread here:

Comment

Oh BTW everyone with an M10, this valve cover is very well done by renewedfinishes, and it is for sale at CAtuned. I think its posted on their website. I just put it on here to see if i like it, and i do, so buy it before i decide to!!!

Drop is coming very soon, coils are waiting for customs approval, theyre just sitting in san francisco collecting dust waiting on some state worker to put his champ stamp on the shipment.
                      Last edited by skunkworx; 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM.

Build thread here:

Comment

Man, the valve cover is tits
                        Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

as above. rocker cover looks dope!

Comment

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post
                            Man, the valve cover is tits
                            Originally posted by NeilP View Post
                            as above. rocker cover looks dope!
                            Yah i like it a lot better on the motor, i might try it again once its all back together, but im already in the hole a lot on this m10 change out, and i have my heart set on the 12 o'clock euro gauges...

I had a crazy idea to copper plate the intake manifold and the valve cover, inspired by a turbo diesel volvo car here on stance. I think it would be truly unique and fit with the "early" model theme. I dunno, in a sea of e30's im trying to do something a little unorthodox with my car. It is rather difficult however, as many things have already been done. Updates soon, motor goes in tomorrow. Hopefully ill be smiling my way to work again by wednesday.

Build thread here:

Comment

Building an e30 while having the IS as a DD. you're doing it right.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Working...
                              X