No announcement yet.

Ultimate E28 Coilover Guide/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting 500 front 450 rear. My friend who has set # 1 said it rides really well. He hasn't even raised it to full stiff because it gets so hard at 15 clicks.

Comment

"the Australian distributor are looking into them for me on Monday and I will be placing my order then. They are looking into what spring rates they come with and then I need to decide if I want to go with what they come with, or go custom."

hey mate, who is the Australian distributor you are dealing with? i think its time my e28 got decked

Comment

The Aussie distributor are JustJap. Call their general number, select extension 2 and ask to speak to Daniel, he may even be the one that always answers ext. 2 I'm not sure. He's been very helpful, and he knows all about them now that I've enquired/ordered(they hadn't had any previous enquiries so weren't aware of them) and I've let him know he might hear from you.

I ordered mine yesterday, and I went with 450 front and 400 rears after a bit of a chat with JustJap, my suspension/fab guy and a bit of going off what others have said on here etc. It's a step up from what they come with stock, so talking in KG's(as we Aussies do) they come with a 7kg/6kg(roughly 400/350, or a bit less actually) and I went with 8kg/7kg(450/400) as I want it to be a little stiff but somewhat comfy still.....but I can always ramp up the stiffness with a few clicks of the dampers if need be.

I haven't had absolute confirmation but I was told 10-14days to my door, even though I said you American guys were being told 3-4 weeks......I hope my guy was right, but I'm not counting on it. Can't wait to slam it and get the wheels mocked up and then built!

Comment

Thanks for the info beware, saves me a lot of headaches if I just shamelessly copy someone else's setup as Im rubbish at all these figures gettin thrown around. Oh and yea.... I'm gonna need pics of that e24 asap

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

No worries!

I'm rubbish too, this is really the first set of coilovers I've paid attention too with spring rates etc....I had some in my 33 GTR, but never looked at or touched them as it was all set up well in my opinion.

I just went off advice from a few sources as I said, so don't take my spring rates as gospel.....I think they'll be fine though as you've got a fair bit of adjustment in the dampers too. If they are too squishy, I'll just order new spring I guess, but that's worst case scenario.

I'll start a bit of a build thread once it gets underway!

Comment

So the question is... BC or XYZ coils?
              1986 BMW 528e - Delphin Grey - 5spd
              1986 Toyota Cressida - Dark Blue Metallic - 1JZ VVTI swap, AR5 transmission
              1990 Honda Civic Wagon - Rio Red - Daily Driver
              Instagram: @kibur

Comment

Originally posted by kibur View Post
                So the question is... BC or XYZ coils?
                No. The question is why don't you make your own. It's too easy not to. But if you want to spend 1k, and not worry about it go for it. If I had the money I would've done that, actually probably not.

insta:yungwymo

Comment

^^^I'd love to, if I could weld, but I can't and paying someone to do a custom set would cost more than the BC's(plus the small amount of welding needed).

Anyway, 10 days after ordering(including 2 public holidays and the weekend), these arrived at work this morning!!! I can't see why you guys in the US are being told 3-4 weeks if I got mine in 6 working days....better get on to your suppliers!!!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong. But for $1200 I thought you can get everything from IE? I think the only variable in pricing was whether or not I needed them to weld my struts or if I did it myself. Or if I sent in a core strut. I called them a few months back but lost the paper. They $1200 or $1250 price stuck in my head. I know they list patssep perately on their site. But when I called the guy I spoke to told me everythin togetherwith my choice of spring rates.

I'm in stupid jury duty right now on my phone. So
                    DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                    E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

What components did you use Wyatt?

Comment

We make custom coilovers at the shop I work for with Summit Racing springs and sleeves and just weld a collar onto the stock strut housing at the desired height for the sleeves to sit on, then put it all together with Bilstein components and BAM. Easy, cheap coilovers for almost any car. We've been making them for 2002, E24, E28, and stuff like that and they're solid.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
                        my tumblr.
                        What the f**k is a build thread?

Comment

Yeah, I tried to get prices and options from Jason but he's a busy man. We would email for a spell and then I'd get no response.

Comment

Mine are in.....and I've got a couple of photo's and a couple of questions.

Firstly I know these were developed for the E28 but is there any difference at all between the 2 cars from the perspective of how the car should sit, or what it's adjustability should be?

In this side on shot(obviosuly the 1st is stock height) with the BC's in, the rear is set with about another inch to go down, but the front is almost at it's highest, with about 4 inches to go down. Does this seem right that the front has so much more to move? I'm happy with how it's sitting on the E34 15's and balloon tyres, and I'm happy the rear can come down another inch, but the front has so much more low potential, of which will go to waste. The other reason the front is at it's highest is because with the E34 rims and huge tyres on there, any lower and the tyres would rub on the spring seats/collars, so this is the lowest it can go(without spacers on those wheels) until I get my first set of proper wheels sorted.

Also the rear is quite bouncy with the 400lb springs, but the front feels great with the 450's....the front dampers are about 3/4 of the way to the hardest and the rears are about 3/4 or a little more to the softest. Having little to no prior coilover experience, do I need to click the rears stiffer, or is it bouncy because of the spring rate I chose? It's not horrible, and better than being super squishy, but I'd prefer it a little less bouncy if possible.

The next few things on the list are the mud flaps are coming off, sills are getting painted, as are the lower rear quarters to get rid of the stone chip crap, some tint, and the wheels will be built once I get them back from polishers/powderers/painters etc and then I'll fiddle a bit more with heights etc. I have a few other shots from the front and rear 3/4's if anyone cares?

Stock.......

With BC's......

Last edited by Beware; 04-06-2013, 12:26 AM.

Comment

^ cool car.

insta:yungwymo

Comment

Originally posted by nickskater09 View Post
                                We make custom coilovers at the shop I work for with Summit Racing springs and sleeves and just weld a collar onto the stock strut housing at the desired height for the sleeves to sit on, then put it all together with Bilstein components and BAM. Easy, cheap coilovers for almost any car. We've been making them for 2002, E24, E28, and stuff like that and they're solid.
                                What shop? And what is the cost of E28 setup?
                                DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
                                E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

Working...
                                X