e28/e24 Coilover DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e28/e24 Coilover DIY

I thought I would share this for those who are looking for an inexpensive way to get low. So here is what I did to my e28 based 6er. Gleaned knowledge from here and other sites and thought I would share. I have since found out from a friend that 914 shocks will work in the rear but I cannot speak to that myself. I wound up with about $200 in my setup that you see here and it rides AMAZING!! I can still go 3/4" lower in the rear but that renders it "undriveable" due to the exhaust scraping. I have a set of used billy struts that I am going to send off to get rebuilt for the front but I got to tell you that the KYB's are more than adequate. She really does ride and handle VERY well.

Parts List
    Slightly used e30 KYB GR-2 strut insers. $30
    Slightly used Billy sport rear Shocks $125
    Universal Coil kit. 385lb front, 315 rear, 6" springs, 2.5 ID (Free to me) $60 for arguments sake.
    Misc nuts because I bought used struts/shocks. $4
    Grand total- $199

Section approximately 3/4" out of your stock strut housing below the spring perch. (you can use corrado g60 struts or e30 ix struts if you want to go lower in the front. IIRC, g60 struts are 4" shorter and ix 3" than e30 struts)
    Cut off the majority of the spring perch, leaving the lower 1/4" or 1/2" for a collar for the sleeves.
    Use a flapper wheel on a grinder to clearance the top of the strut so the sleeve fits tight. It will want to go onto it without this but it hangs up. I would not recommend using a grinder wheel as you may wind up taking to much off.
    Toss the stock top hats and use the ones in your universal kit.
    Set your rear spring perches on the billys to their lowest level, put the sleeve over the shock body. Then install the spring and top hat.
    Viola'.
    This is what you get.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

More photos of the suspension? Any build photos? This is goddamn brilliant.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
    my tumblr.
    What the f**k is a build thread?

Comment

I think I have more pics on my laptop. Iwill check tomorrow and upload what i have. Until then, here is the build thread. http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36735

Comment

More pictures of this please. A full blown DIY/how to would be the awesome, and a help to alot of people, I'm sure.
        Last edited by willis; 11-09-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Hopefully i will be doing this on my e21 this week. The suspension design is exactly the same and i will be sure to take detailed pics of the entire process.

Comment

Awesome, that would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yes!
              DEL SOL BUILD THREAD
              E28 BUILD THREAD

I am.... SICKWITHTHEPEN

Comment

subscribed! this would help out a ton of people myself included
                Hit me up for all your quality used bmw parts needs! http://properperformance.com/ IG: Lowlygent

Comment

Awesome man Ive been trying to figure out how to get mine low haha

Comment

In for build. I'm looking into building my own as well. Seeing as AE86's have the same stupid design of hub+ strut being all one piece.
                    1999 Lexus GS300 | Bagged | Wed Kranze Borphes | STUPID

2001 325i |Coupe | Carbonfiber | Comfy

Comment

Definitely need more pics/write up. Riding on cut springs is getting to be really shitty. I can't even count the number of times I've hit my head on the roof..

Comment

Here's a photo from his build thread:

1988 300zx-t

Comment

I'm in the middle of doing an e12 strut-based coilover setup for my 2002. You can see the progress and pics in the thread link in my signature. I'm taking it a bit further than most would need to (custom damping adjustment etc), but overall the basics are the same.
                          Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
                          Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
                          Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
                          Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Comment

these springs look like they're from ebay.. are they?

Comment

Don't know about the ones in this thread but you can get Eibach springs in any size, length and weight from Summit Racing. They aren't very expensive and you know you'll get a quality product.
                              Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
                              Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
                              Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
                              Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

Comment

Working...
                              X