No announcement yet.

Turning stupid into fun - W123 300D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just thought I'd leave this here, seeing as I can't be bothered to update this thread properly yet

Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

So I'm sorry about the lack of updates Priority was getting the car through inspection, and I ran into a couple of issues while doing that. Fuel leaks, vacuum leaks, electrical issues (which aren't resolved yet), rotten shit, and all that funky stuff that brings a smile to your face when working on a car.

Anyhow, after the first trip to the inspection, I had to get rid of all the jagged edges on my fenders (lots of fiber glass and filler), fix my front windows, get my license plate lights to work, and fix my parking brake.

I won't talk about the fenders, because it was terribly long and I wanted to set things on fire doing them.

The windows... The glass would fall in the door, wouldn't follow the regulator and shit, so I took the doors apart, removed the regulator assembly and figured out that the glass was supposed to fit into a bracket. But no bracket in sight. What WAS in the door though, was a pile of rust chips at the bottom. Searched and searched for a solution, and IKEA came to the rescue. Observe :

Wall mounting bracket for cabinets. Yeah.

So that was solved. Tackled the plate lights. The bulbs were burned out and covered in grease from the rust-proofing job the previous owner had done. Another easy fix. Tackled the parking brake. Dis some reading and figured out I could simply adjust the distance from the pads to the inner disc. Another easy fix.

ROAD LEGAL!!! Paid my for my license plate and drove the piss out of it until 2 more fuel leaks happened. I was thrilled about losing 75$ worth of fresh diesel.

Anyway, fixed that shit and moved onto more important things. Observe :

Yeah, I installed a big ass boost gauge in one of the vents and got myself a Nardi

I had also ordered these :

Bilstein HDs front and rear

And then...

And this is how she sits as of now :

And as you can see here :

I still have PLENTY of room for more slammage. I'm letting the suspension set before I touch it agian, and I'll have to cut some shit out of the fenders so the tires don't explode on a shard of rust or fiberglass. But the good news is : IT SCRAPES ON THE SPEEDBUMPS, which is a good thing.

More stance stuff soon, but first I need to fix the irritating electrical issue that keeps draining my battery and making my alternator not alternate. Reading tells me this might be due to a dead voltage regulator.

STAY TUNED
      Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

So Saturday I went to a "stance" show. Heard a guy bitching at how ugly my benz was. Followed him to his 4x4 mazda with chromed out rice-fart wheels. I felt better. But somewhere deep within myself, I felt the same, my benz DOES (or DID) look like shit. Went to sleep.

Sunday at 8AM, a she-friend of mine woke me up with a picture-text-message saying "Wake up and be awesome!"

That is PRECISELY what I did

I got out of bed, went to the hardware store, bought some shit, came back home. A few hours later, THIS :
        note: this might not be everyone's cup of tea. I couldn't care less.

Can you guess what this is? SICO EXTERIOR PAINT, APPLIED BY PAINT BRUSH AND ROLLER

I had fucking BUTTLOADS of fun getting the rear bumper off. Never again. Unless I end up with euro bumpers some time in the future.

I had so much fun with the rear, that I just masked off the front end.

Yes, it is ugly! AND I LIKE IT! It will suit the theme I have planned very well. You will see.

I may have to buy new badges for the rear. They were a PITA to remove and got slightly bent out of shape. We'll see....

I'm in Vancouver for the week, so don't expect any progress
        Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Looks alright but deff need daylight pics. And did you cut like one coil? Joints wayy too high still 3 front and 2.5 rear. Keep it up man
          Follow on IG
          amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
          Vintage AME Wheels
          RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
          W115 & W123

Comment

Cut 1.5 front 1.0 rear. Wanted the new shocks to settle before I started destroying copious amounts of rusty shock-metal.

Now that they have...
            Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Mine settled pretty heavy after cutting 1.5 coils. I must say 1.5 plus removing the pads isn't enough.
              1981 300TD 4 speed
              2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
              , on Flickr
              IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

So I cut off an extra coil off the fronts and removed the pads on friday evening, 'cause I was going to a local show called Deutsch Fest on Saturday morning. I got caught in heavy ass rain and wind so I didn't do the rears... My grinder was soaking wet and I wasn't totally into the idea of getting death by electricity right before a car show...

I also fixed the electrical issue. New voltage regulator and all is well! Now all I have left to do is change out all the rubber bushes and shit, all the seals, fix the broken guide rod mount, lower the rear end more, fix for some wheels and do some general maintenance before winter...

Haven't had a camera for a while, lent it to my sister for her vacation. Will snap some pics ASAP. Maybe do a quick video too, since my Sony cam is all I have right now

LOVE this car
                Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

So just as I post that, my camera (and sibling...) came home from Maine. So I went out and took a few pictures since the lighting was just perfect outside! Car is dirty as hell (and so is the lens apparently, as you'll see in the pictures )

So here is how the front end sits. I have to be careful now

I tore up a bit of grass at the show on saturday... Think I had a few beers too many

Some more, just because I missed my camera :

Oh yeah, that's right... I forgot to mention; gave the wheels a shower of GM "Bright Aqua Metallic" and bought an old roof rack from a buddy of mine. I put that to use right away (beware of phone pic)

Hope you all enjoy my shenanigans as much as I do
                  Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Yes, this is a teaser.

Picking up more nice things tomorrow afternoon, stay tuned.
                    Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Okay, I suck at being patient. Had to go snap some pics... But still, more tomorrow.

I could've went for 10s in the back, eh?
                      Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Long overdue stance-related post. Break out the funky tunes and do the stance dance!

So I bought me some brand new Nittos for the fronts in 205/40/16 :

I think I'm going to need something like 195/45, but this'll do for now!

It's damn low. Like scrape-everywhere low. And left-turn-scrape low. And convex-road-scrape low. And hard-accel-scrape low.

I'll just wear through the exhaust and worry about what to do when I get to that bridge. I'm thinking downpipe, the end.

Anywho, this is what I have to look at now :

I think the rubber spring pads are going back in so I can at least gain a few mm and scrape, like, not everywhere, cause this is still my daily driver
                        Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Awesome I want an old mercedes pretty badly..... looking forward to seeing it slammed

Comment

damn she looks so good!

nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by NeilP View Post
                              damn she looks so good!

nice work!

Thanks Although she has a LOT of flaws that don't really show up in the pictures, but up close they are obvious I just can't give this car ridiculous amounts of attention since I daily it, and it's not really worth saving chassis-wise. Mechanically all is sound though.

And for some more StanceNews : I've basically scraped through 2 entire U-bolts in the space of a weekend, which is good. An exhaust flange is taking all the hits now
                              Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post
                                Thanks Although she has a LOT of flaws that don't really show up in the pictures, but up close they are obvious I just can't give this car ridiculous amounts of attention since I daily it, and it's not really worth saving chassis-wise. Mechanically all is sound though.

And for some more StanceNews : I've basically scraped through 2 entire U-bolts in the space of a weekend, which is good. An exhaust flange is taking all the hits now
                                This is coming out so well! I love 16s on 123s. I wish mine weren't 17s. I would cut one more off the front and call it a day. Hopefully i can get mine down a bit more soon too. love the nardi.
                                Last edited by TiTyman; 09-26-2013, 01:17 AM.

W123 BUILD

500SEL BUILD

Comment

Working...
                                X