Turning stupid into fun - W123 300D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning stupid into fun - W123 300D

Hello S|W! I'll start by saying that I have little history with anything related to cars apart from the fact that I've always loved and been fascinated by them. I make my living as a cabinetmaker, so getting my hands dirty is the only real link between my work and my passion. Everything I do is a huge learning curve and is pretty much figured out on the fly. Thank f**k for the internet

Anyway, I'll cut the personal introduction short and skip right to the good shit.

Just 2 weeks ago one of my friends told me about a W123 just sitting in a driveway, waiting to end its life as a rotting carcass... So we went knocking and talked to the guy. Fantasy quickly became reality as I sold my one and only car, an '02 Jetta TDI to get the funds needed to buy the W123 and get it road worthy again.

Here is what I drove up until a few days ago :

The Jetta started it's life with me as a poorly maintained bone-stock boring daily driver. So I did a couple things to it, including Koni coilovers and some cheap wheels, the rest of the mods pretty much pointless to mention here

I was at the point where I was pretty happy with what I'd done to it and I felt I needed something a little more special, a new challenge, something that connected to me more than the Jetta did. And as my dad had always had Mercedes' when I was a kid, I just needed that W123.

This is how it was sitting in the guys's driveway :

The interior is pretty mint, the exterior needs some work (2 fenders, a door, and a respray when I can muster up the cash) but it hadn't even started in 6 years. So my buddy and I went over, swapped the battery from the TDI to see if it would start. Surprise! It didn't even hesitate, fired right up on all 5 with 6 year-old diesel in the tank and jelly for oil! I even have the guy's full service record, which is pretty immaculate, 4 keys plus a vallet, all the original paperwork that came with the car, all the manuals and shit.

...So I traded paper for money and had it towed to my place on friday after having sold the Jetta on thursday night. I then went to the dealer to get some parts.

It needed a brake line for the front passenger side, so I got that sorted today, also put in a brand new OEM battery, new oil filter and oil, fuses, got a head gasket and air filter and took out the front calipers to have them rebuilt some time this week. Will also be ordering some rotors and pads to replace the pretty rotten ones (even though they were probably never even broken in).

As for the lows, I plan to cut a couple of coils off of the stock springs before the winter hits, and probably a few more when spring comes back around As of yet, I have no intention of getting it bagged, but that might change some day with the never ending quest to go lower

I've been searching for wheels for a couple of days but nothing of interest came up, so I'll have to keep an eye on the classifieds for a while. I saw a couple sets of Aeros for sale, but way out of my price range. I'm going to keep my focus on maintenance and getting my plates before winter hits, as this thing is going to be my daily

Now this thread also serves as a logbook of sorts and a source of motivation and feedback/ideas. Any and all advice or pointers will be appreciated, I've only worked on VWs before.

Oh, and a quick question to any W123 owners on here, how wide of a wheel can I fit under those huge arches?
    Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

That's a pretty clean start man! Good luck on the build!

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
    Originally posted by nickskater09
    I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Pics are down... Always wanted one of these... Do it justice!
      Follow on IG
      amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
      Vintage AME Wheels
      RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
      W115 & W123

Comment

love the w123s! definitely following this! keep it up!
        -1987 SAAB 900 turbo SPG - summer ride
        -2005 Nissan altima 2.5 - dd

Comment

Subbed....there's something appealing about an original car that's been abandoned
          Check out my Alfa restoration here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8l...7WzTiNj8Xy6C4A

Comment

Will switch hosts when I get home after work, although I have to make a pit stop at a hydraulic shop for some braided brake lines and fittings.. I might also stop being lazy and snap a few pics with the DSLR, cause who likes crappy phone pics anyway, right?

will also be ordering my rotors and pads tonight. Anybody have a better source than Pelican Parts? They have pretty much everything I need and the price seems reasonable...

Happy monday! It froze here this morning :'(
            Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

I wish i had that car
              My grandpa wants to sell it's old W123 but i don't dare doing a 1600km trip to get the car... :/
              One thing: I don't like your headlights. I prefer the clear ones. And if youre going to give a clean look to the car i would rather change them

Comment

Hey! Glad to see an other w123 from Montreal! I planned to bag mine cause there is nothing available for a true coilover setup... There is some lowering spring available but nothing that will bring her low enough !! I would want to cut some coil while I wait for the bags, but I need to find the proper tool to compress the coil (Klaun type) since a normal tool is not strong enough for W123 coils!!

For parts, mercedessource.com is good and have great tutorial video for our chassis! You can also look at autopartsway.ca, good price and shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Sam View Post
                  For parts, mercedessource.com is good and have great tutorial video for our chassis! You can also look at autopartsway.ca, good price and shipping.
                  Yeah, I will vouch for autopartsway.ca. They're in Canada so no worries about getting hit at the border and the stuff I have bought there has been delivered within a week. I have an 87 golf and they have everything I have needed so far.
                  And free shipping for any order over $75

There is a w123 by my house and I REALLY want to pick it up

good luck

Comment

Dat car! They have fucking much potensial! I've had many w123, and it is so charming! Lovely interior and the best engine every made, great ride!

you have to create a profile on:
                    mercedes turbo diesel performance superturbo superturbodiesel w123 w126 300d 300sd om617 om603 vnt vgt turbo suspension 5speed swaybar gwagen clutch

sigpic

Comment

I can't wait to see this at Julep next season!
                      Mint green Mk2 build
                      Daily 190E build

Comment

That interior is in awesome shape! Looks like a fun project. Love me some old mercs.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by milano_red View Post
                            That's a pretty clean start man! Good luck on the build!
                            It's not as clean as I thought it was, but that was to be expected from a car that was just lying there for 6 years with no care!

Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore View Post
                            Pics are down... Always wanted one of these... Do it justice!
                            Uploading pics to my flickr account And I will try my best to do it justice! Most of the work will have to wait until spring though, since I have to do all my work outside. And it gets pretty cold around here...

Originally posted by datsaab View Post
                            Slowly but surely

Originally posted by A4crn View Post
                            Subbed....there's something appealing about an original car that's been abandoned
                            I know, that thing was just begging to be saved from its slow death

Originally posted by A2J7C View Post
                            I wish i had that car
                            My grandpa wants to sell it's old W123 but i don't dare doing a 1600km trip to get the car... :/
                            One thing: I don't like your headlights. I prefer the clear ones. And if youre going to give a clean look to the car i would rather change them
                            If you're talking about the fogs, I like them yellow But the grey covers around the lights have to go!

Originally posted by M.Sam View Post
                            Hey! Glad to see an other w123 from Montreal! I planned to bag mine cause there is nothing available for a true coilover setup... There is some lowering spring available but nothing that will bring her low enough !! I would want to cut some coil while I wait for the bags, but I need to find the proper tool to compress the coil (Klaun type) since a normal tool is not strong enough for W123 coils!!

Merci Keep me posted if you find a spring compressor that works, I will need to get ahold of one to chop some coils And I'm really eager to see yours bagged, it looks so fucking clean!

Originally posted by j.kam View Post
                            Yeah, I will vouch for autopartsway.ca. They're in Canada so no worries about getting hit at the border and the stuff I have bought there has been delivered within a week. I have an 87 golf and they have everything I have needed so far.
                            And free shipping for any order over $75

There is a w123 by my house and I REALLY want to pick it up

good luck
                            Thanks! And go for it! I already love mine and I can't even drive it yet

Originally posted by superturbodiesel.com View Post
                            Dat car! They have fucking much potensial! I've had many w123, and it is so charming! Lovely interior and the best engine every made, great ride!

you have to create a profile on:
                            mercedes turbo diesel performance superturbo superturbodiesel w123 w126 300d 300sd om617 om603 vnt vgt turbo suspension 5speed swaybar gwagen clutch

I saw a couple of crazy ones! The drift car from black smoke racing is utterly ridiculous, and their block is stock! I will join the superturbodiesel club, I need more info on how to make this thing a monster

Originally posted by Rocambolesque View Post
                            I can't wait to see this at Julep next season!
                            I can't wait to bring it

Originally posted by 3EyedGoat View Post
                            That interior is in awesome shape! Looks like a fun project. Love me some old mercs.
                            The interior is pretty perfect! There are only 2 things I could even spot that aren't peftect; there is a tiny crack on the dash near the vent, and the leather's color has faded a bit in some areas... And god damn those seats and comfy

Originally posted by ferrijessica View Post
                            Thanks!

Now... I haven't had the chance to do much, as I had to order all the parts I need to get it inspected and back on the road!

Here is what I ordered :

A ton of vacuum lines
                            Rotors and pads
                            New bolts for this and that
                            Wipers
                            Stanceworks windshield banner and plate surrounds obviously

I also brought my front calipers to a local brake shop to have them rebuilt and went to a hydraulics shop to get a quote for some rubber/stainless flexible brake hoses for all 4 corners. I'm also shopping for some Bilstein heavy duty shocks, trying to find the best price! I also got a call from my landlord complaining about how ghetto the building looked with the benz sitting on stands with oil stains on the pavement :P So I snapped a couple pics for you guys and put her back on her wheels...

More good news : My boss asked me if I could work from thursday to wednesday in Toronto, driving one of the trucks there and back. I told him it fucks up my plans to get my car ready before winter because working in the freezing weather and snow really blows, but he was desperate for my help to get the contract done on time so he offered to pay to get the car towed to the shop so I could work on it indoors when I get back So more money in the bank and a nice and warm shop to work in, how much better could it get?

Anyway, I'll try to talk less and show more, so here you go, some current pics to hold you guys over until I get back from Toronto

Hope you enjoyed
                            Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post
                              If you're talking about the fogs, I like them yellow But the grey covers around the lights have to go!
                              I'm talking about the grey covers...

Comment

Working...
                              X