This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Ride in Winter

Despite only having had my car on air for a couple months, I'm really hoping I keep it semi-usable this winter. I know people have continued daily-driving on air even in cold and snowy environments. Anyone have suggestions/recommendations to help winter-proof my system?
    -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
    -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
    -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
    -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Originally posted by Svenska94Aero View Post
    Despite only having had my car on air for a couple months, I'm really hoping I keep it semi-usable this winter. I know people have continued daily-driving on air even in cold and snowy environments. Anyone have suggestions/recommendations to help winter-proof my system?
    Hey dude! The guys and myself all daily our cars through the winter and honestly, there isn't a whole lot of maintenance you need to worry about. The main thing you need to do once the temperature drops is to grab some air brake antifreeze and put about a cap full into your tank. The antifreeze will help prevent the condensation that your compressor creates from freezing in your air lines and in your valves.

You'll have to keep on top of draining your tank more often in the winter months but every time you drain your tank, remember to add more antifreeze!

Other than that, I usually spray my bags down whenever I go to the pay and spray but that's because I have to due to my rear strut design. You don't really have to wash the salt/ grime off of them but it can't hurt to have clean bags

Oh, and you might want to look into replacing the stock Viair check valve on your compressor. They tend to freeze shut (mine did). I swapped mine over to the SMC check valves and haven't had a problem with them yet.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Exactly the info I needed, thanks a lot Rali! I'll see about tracking down some of that antifreeze.
      -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
      -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
      -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
      -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

Air/water separators are also a good thing to help with winter months..
        King

Comment

I was concerned about winter, and I emailed the guy that did my install out of courtesy. I asked if I should use air line antifreeze, and he said no and that I should be fine if I put my back seats down to let warm air in...

Then my lines froze this morning, so I sent him another email telling him that I should have got anti freeze. He emailed me back saying that I should just keep it aired up during the winter.

I don't plan on listening to him anymore, but it is worth the hassle of removing a fitting to put the stuff in all the time, or is it just easier to pretend its static while it's cold?

Comment

Originally posted by MrJereMoose View Post
            I was concerned about winter, and I emailed the guy that did my install out of courtesy. I asked if I should use air line antifreeze, and he said no and that I should be fine if I put my back seats down to let warm air in...

Then my lines froze this morning, so I sent him another email telling him that I should have got anti freeze. He emailed me back saying that I should just keep it aired up during the winter.

I don't plan on listening to him anymore, but it is worth the hassle of removing a fitting to put the stuff in all the time, or is it just easier to pretend its static while it's cold?
            I think the best part about having air in the winter time is that you will blow minds even harder when your car is aired out in a snowy parking lot. I'd take the time to remove one fitting and add some antifreeze for months of fun

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Any particular brand that is recommended, or do they all work about the same?

Comment

Working...
              X