Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another damn E28 build - Southern style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another damn E28 build - Southern style.

UPDATE: Post #16
    UPDATE: Post #28

Hey, my name's Nick. I'm from Atlanta and I drive a 1983 BMW 528e. I've had the car for almost a year now and it's been great to me. Only a minor few hiccups have taken her off the road but that's expected from a 30 year old car, right? The previous owner was in the marines and only used her as a DD back and forth from North Carolina, his other car was an M3 track car which was always stuffed in his garage.

I'll start this off with how she looked the day I drove her home.

I bought her on New Year's Day, and then took a week to get her actually registered. Needless to say I was pissed when I had to see her sit dormant in the garage when I had just been bitten by the"new" car bug.

Interior:

All stock everything. Cardinal red interior, typical nonworking tach, just the usual.

Stock bay:

Dat leather though.

Here comes the first phase: Stickers. I don't know why and don't ask.

Taped the headlights for that awesome racekor look, and tinted the fogs. This was the first thing I really did to change the look.

Soon enough, she went under the knife. Some springs were cut, and wheels were rattle canned. All white everything.

This is where shit got real. I graduated, worked my ass off, and bought some OG muthafuckin BBS RA's.

Then came SOWO '12. At this point, I was crazy with stickers and just going balls to the wall with the styling. I rocked the tribute to Rusty P-51 mustang graphics in tape, bike rack, balloon tires, and only the valence up front. Also, due to the radiator fan jumping ship I decided to run without a hood to keep more air moving around the motor. It was an innocent try but I didn't have time to get a fan and I NEEDED to have her at SOWO. Prepare for the shitshow.

She got pretty radical. This is where I kind of have a black-out of photos. There's some things on my computer as I'm sure barely any of it was documented. This is how things went:

Roof rack:

Repainted all the fading trim, grilles, etc.
    Removed all of the stickers, minus the Stanceworks banner.
    Put the bumper back on, and added a black air dam. Pull-a-part find ftw.

Removed the headlight for intake flows.

Straight piped right out the side. Shit was loud man.

Left the balloon tire game and went down to 195/45r14. Damnit this made it stick to the ground but the amount of wheel gap was ungodly.

On the Tail of the Dragon, midsummer.

Here's a sunset shot of pretty much where she ended up after that.

Then I bought this off a dude on mye28. Big ol' Magnaflow, 3 inch in and out.

And it sounded great, like this.

And then on to how she sits today. Only difference now is I have a 1983 Georgia plate up front instead of the janky knock-off euro plate.

I know this thread is kind of jumpy as pictures were taken very few and far between, but I hope some people get the gist of her life. I'll use this thread to keep up with any recent BS that comes up. I'm planning to go back up to the 195/70 tires and lower it some more for the hell of it.
    Last edited by nickskater09; 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
    my tumblr.
    What the f**k is a build thread?

at first i didnt like the stickers and tape phase, but hey ive done it too, but i drmember this from sowo, and since then its only gotten better, the usdm front still looks goofy to me because im used to alex (JrCanes55 on here)'s euro front e28

also props for running 15's people dont appreciate small wheels anymore, thats why its so hard to find some tiny 13" tires

Comment

I rock my 14s with pride, even if they barely make any tires for them.

my tumblr.

Comment

100% current status. Taken today.

my tumblr.

Comment

Looks nice, that front end needs to come down for sure.

Comment

I'm jealous, I have an e28 sitting in my driveway waiting to take my money. How many coils did you cut all the way around, I'm trying to get a rough idea of what'll make it low but not ride on the struts.
            1997 Jeep Cherokee, 33's, 4.5 inch lift *gone but not forgotten*

1994 Acura Integra *gone and totally forgotten*

1987 BMW 528e *rip lil homie*

2010 Subaru Impreza

insta: @georgiebrums

Comment

everything needs to come down to make 14 look right
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
              Got Drop??

Comment

Originally posted by lolwtfomgbbq View Post
                I'm jealous, I have an e28 sitting in my driveway waiting to take my money. How many coils did you cut all the way around, I'm trying to get a rough idea of what'll make it low but not ride on the struts.
                I have 2.5 cut off the front and 3 in the rear, ask willis about riding on struts, he's all up in that game.

But now my rear tires are shot from 3 degrees of camber so I have to buy a whole new set. 195/45s have doubled in price and are getting more rare. I'm moving up to 185/60s so hopefully they'll fit better and the whole shebang will come down further after that. I also smacked my exhaust in the mountains and broke a hangar so that will be dealt with first. Haha

my tumblr.

Comment

bigger wheels

lower car.

build thread?

Comment

Originally posted by nickskater09 View Post
                    I have 2.5 cut off the front and 3 in the rear, ask willis about riding on struts, he's all up in that game.

But now my rear tires are shot from 3 degrees of camber so I have to buy a whole new set. 195/45s have doubled in price and are getting more rare. I'm moving up to 185/60s so hopefully they'll fit better and the whole shebang will come down further after that. I also smacked my exhaust in the mountains and broke a hangar so that will be dealt with first. Haha
                    Your tires are shot because of bad toe, not because of 3 degrees of camber. Just get your toe in spec

Comment

I know VAC makes weld-in trailing arm pickups to adjust it because e28's aren't adjustable in the rear stock. I can't afford a $200 kit at the moment (yay college) so I'll have to save for it in the future after I get a new set of tires. Thanks for the info though. I thought it was just my overly spirited driving style.

my tumblr.

Comment

Good thread nick! You know I love the car bro.
                        Matt in VA
                        1982 BMW 320i US 5 speed Chestnut Red "Jun"
                        Adult smut.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
                          bigger wheels

lower car.
                          This.

Comment

No the tiny wheels are sick! Yes on the lower part though. I loved the way 15s looked on my car, look awesome on this if u were lower. That straight pipe out the side was nasty! Makes me wanna do something stupid with my exhaust. Love it homie, (keep the RAs)

insta:yungwymo

Comment

The wheels are staying, and I kind of miss the side pipe. It was so damn loud. I want to put a flange right after the cat so I can switch out either the side pipe or muffler. Haha

my tumblr.

Comment

Working...
                              X