X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black vehicles.

Hello,

As all black car owners know when black cars are clean and polished they are the best looking car on the road. My question as well as many others is what sort of products should be used on our lovely autos weekly, monthly, and yearly. I realize this a bit vague but I wash and detail my car weekly but after a few days those pesky small swirls show up. Also, despite my tender love and care after drying I almost always have to go back and polish out water spots.

Any help or guidence would me a lot and I'm sure benifit others, Brennan
    Join the dark side:The Boog Build Thread

Hey, your right black cars do look best when clean, but they are also a nightmare to keep on top of (my last car was black and it drove me insane )

A tip: rather than polishing to remove water marks, try using a good quality detail spray, if you have already polished and waxed it a few weeks or so before, there is no need to repolish and a detail spray could well be the answer.

James

Comment

My Six Rules for Detailing a Black Car

Black cars look incredible when they are perfectly detailed. The problem is that getting your black car to the point of perfection is a seamingly impossible task. After years of pursuing that elusive perfection on various black cars that I have owned, I have developed a few personal rules that I make myself follow. Perhaps these will be a help to you.

DUSTLESS - make sure you are polishing in a perfectly clean environment. It starts with a closed garage where there is less dust, pollen, etc. Make sure the garage floor is clean before you begin so that you do not kick up contaminates in the air. I shop vac my garage rather than sweep so that I do not stir dust up. Then I mop the floor using a oil based cleaner so that any remaining dust will tend to stick to the floor. I have found that doing these extra steps to have a dustless environment go along way to avoiding adding micro-scratches as I wipe polishes and waxes on and off.

DAINTY - I constantly remind myself to let the micro-fiber cloth do the work by using very gentle wipes. Make sure your microfiber is perfectly clean, detergent and chemical free. Visually inspect the microfiber for any clinging debri before you use it. Some of my worst details have come when I take a dirty rag to wipe off the final wax of otherwise almost perfect paint.

DARKEN - I have made it a personal rule to only use a product that will not lighten the appearance of my black paint. There are too many products that are really bright and shiny but tend to leave a clear plastic appearance on the paint which diminish the mystique of the black color.

DEEPEN - My fourth rule is to only use products on the paint which deepen its appearance. This means that I will stay away from products which tend to look like they sit on top of the paint. Instead I only use products on black which tend to enhance the paint by adding an oily, deep, wet look. Try the new Turtle Black Detail Spray and wax.

DUAL - Two coats! If one coat of glaze looks good, then the second coat will look better. I have found that the first coat of most products achieve about 75% of their full potential. The second coat will give you that extra 25% which makes a visual difference on black.

DETAIL - Finally, it is useless to have incredible looking paint if other parts of the car are not clean, restored, and dressed. For example, nice paint has a wow factor but nothing like when it is combined with polished glass. So, I have made it a rule. If I am going to allow myself the joy of slapping another coat of wonderful carnauba on the paint then I force myself to dress the tires, trim, wheel wells, glass, lights, etc. Do every detail, and the beauty and mystique of your wonderful black ride will be at its best.

CONCLUSION

It is easy to get lazy and to take shortcuts when caring for your ride. Other colors can handle imperfection, but with black it shows every flaw. I have not yet achieved 100% perfection on my black cars. Yet following these rules have really helped me to get much closer.

Happy detailing.
      Instagram - Bavarian_Steel
      My E28 Build

Comment

I don't know if this is the right kit for you Brennan but Steph and I used the turtle wax little black box on our 05 Audi and it is a great product. Black pigment wax cleaner an wax along with a black pigment quick detail. Probably not the thing I'd use on a fresh paint job, but it sure did bring our old finish back to life.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Thanks for all of the tips guys! Nick your right on base with the back box i believe, I use their quick detailer which works amazingly for about two days. Maybe i should try a good true polish with a light compound and start over from square one. I may give the entire black box a try and see how she looks! I'll give all of you guys suggestions some thought and see what happens.
          Join the dark side:The Boog Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
            I don't know if this is the right kit for you Brennan but Steph and I used the turtle wax little black box on our 05 Audi and it is a great product. Black pigment wax cleaner an wax along with a black pigment quick detail. Probably not the thing I'd use on a fresh paint job, but it sure did bring our old finish back to life.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UMZ07A
            I used this stuff before and it seemed pretty good. Im kinda a wax whore and can never be satisfied but this stuff got the closest!
            Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Comment

Poorboys Blackhole sealant and Natty Blue Paste Wax. I liked these products on my black car.

(There's a reason the current car is silver! haha)

Your car looked good at H2O, by the way.

Comment

i wish there was more detailing threads. I'll make one next time i detail my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
                  (There's a reason the current car is silver! haha)
                  Just made the transition from a long line of black cars to silver as well. I think I wash/detail my car maybe 1/3 a much as I used to.

Comment

Hey guys!

i own a black jetta 03. Do you put quick detailer each time you finish washing your car ?
                    I read in an other thread :"A further option is to spray a quick detailer onto the rinsed paintwork, which will add a small amount of lubrication and help prevent the towel from marring the paintwork. "
                    What do you think ?

Comment

^ Personally I just use quick detail to clean up the car if I'm too lazy to do an actual wash.

I use Chemical Guys products and i'm pretty happy with it.
                      Y'all know me, still the same OG.

Comment

I used to use my wheel to buff out the black paint until i realized that it was actually creating more work for myself. I have since gone with the Meguiar's DA Power System. The three steps are all you need to bring a black car back from whatever neglectful owner had it before. I choose to take it one step further however and use a black wax. After the car has been polished, I rely on a quick detail-er for the random spots that occur during daily use. If the car happens to get rained on/dirty, I use the Mother's wash-wax, then dry with spray wax (as its only temporary but allows the car to stay deep/glossy for much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Titty View Post
                          ^ Personally I just use quick detail to clean up the car if I'm too lazy to do an actual wash.

I use Chemical Guys products and i'm pretty happy with it.
                          Agreed. Chemical Guys has very good items for fairly cheap.
                          Instagram: @mattragsdale
                          '97 M3 build

Comment

I also recommend the Black Box. I used it on a 20 year old finish and the results are remarkable. But to keep it looking good it obviously requires a ton of upkeep.
                            1949 Ford Chopped
                            2007 Lexus GS350 AWD

Comment

Working...
                            X