Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats so bad about racelands after all...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You get what you pay for. Racelands do in fact ride like absolute shit, but on the other hand they cost less than a good cold air intake. And occasionally, they do in fact break apart. There have been a few threads about just that happening. I dont personally know if Raceland has addressed whatever issue was causing that to happen, but it something worth looking into if you're considering buying a set.

For me- I'm running my Bilstein/H&R race setup until I can set aside enough play money to buy Broadways or KWs.
    <Imagine a cool photo of a white 98 M3 sedan sitting low on staggered DS2's here>

Comment

I think it also depends on the way your struts are manufactured. For instance. My Subaru forester is on ultimos. Here's why I didn't mind trying them: the way the Subaru coils (and my old vw mk3) are set up are they have 2 sets of collars for adjustments. The top 2 rings adjust where the spring sits on the strut like every other coil over. The second set allows you to spin the strut itself through the fully threaded mounting bracket thus adjusting ride height. In doing so... you do not compromise any strut travel. So right now my exhaust is less than an inch from the ground with full shock travel.

As far as I'm concerned... if you aren't shortening the shock travel to bare minimum like you do on say a set of VW mk4 coilovers (adjustment is just spring in body) you shouldn't have a problem with bouncy suspension and blowing seals.

Oh BTW... the ride is not comparable to damping adjustable koni coils... but they ride fine for slammed daily use for my application.

Sorry for my book... just my insight.

|| Forester thread || E46 M3 || MK4 R32 (sold) || MK3 VR6 (sold) ||

Comment

Cheap coilovers are what they are....cheap but then not all of us can afford broadways or air ride either.

I run ta technix on mine which are 175 new .never blown or siezed and ok ride wise and if they go I will buy some more seeing as I can buy three sets to a half decent set of coilovers and still have change left.
        Just because someone runs racelands doesnt mean there an idiot its just a cheap set that for the average joe perfectly fine for what they want.

The biggest idiots are people who cut springs imo

Comment

Honestly, for the price, you aren't going to beat it. What are your other options? Coil sleeves on stock junk shocks/struts? The Racelands are going to be MILES ahead of that combo. The old adage rings true, you do get what you pay for, but if you're on a budget these aren't terrible. People simply need to realize that ride and materials quality suffers with lower cost, that's just the way of the world. Obviously a higher-quality suspension is going to cost several times more, but again, you get what you pay for via materials and ride quality.

Most kids these days are only buying coilovers to "get low", and are willing to sacrifice longevity and ride quality to dump their cars - they've equated a shitty ride to a low car in their minds, and its' akin to leading a horse to water to get them to change their minds.

But what do I know, I just build my own suspension setups.
          - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

they are okay.....the end
            IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

If you are going to bash the coilovers, at least give him other options in HIS budget... no?
              @ DEARSTEPDAD
              Slow 'N' Soft Build : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1054474

Comment

cheap coils are for the kids to play.

my pictures on FLICKR

Comment

I bought an e46 to flip and it came with racelands on it. The ride was shit, and the spring rates are laughable. But they are cheap so what do you expect. Hell, I bought an e36 after I flipped the e46 and threw racelands on it after I got it running again just to slam it so I could sell it to some kid who thought it looked cool. Made 2k off of a high school kid so I guess it did the trick..

They make a lot of noise too... my .02

Comment

I had Spax coils in my mk2 golf, front struts burst in 6 months. It took the guts of that time again to get the new front struts under warranty, by the time they arrived the car was off the road for a tidy up.

For my mx5, the car cost around £500 all in, so there was no f'ing way I was going to spend more than the car cost for a suspension set up. I put racelands in and to be fair, they were fine, certainly better than the tired stock suspension, they achieved my goal of lows for cheap.

Would I use them for a track focussed car? No.
                    Would I use them to lower my car for road use? Yes.

I have found no issue with them to be honest and the car was being used daily on mostly country roads.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                      Lol, ride nice compared to what?

Most people that talk about how awesome racelands are have zero experience with a quality set of coils.
                      \thread

what's so bad is they wear out, ride becomes progressively worse over time, especially when low.
                      They don't ride too well from the start as it is.

If you are cool with the ride being mediocre/fair/poor and just wanna dump, then absolutely.

Comment

I hatedd on racelands before owning a set.

I'm a Honda Civic Si EP3 owner with Koni Yellow / Ground Control suspension
                        Drove another EP3 with Racelands on it, and it was quite embarrassing.
                        So bouncy (that blown shock kind of bouncy) and they were new
                        No dampening, was quite scary
                        Even the build quality was a bit rough in my opinion.
                        Tack welds were messy, and they were so much lighter than my Koni's, it made me think their structural integrity was compromised.

I now own an e36
                        Got a set of Racelands (used) for free so I installed them on the car.
                        They dampen ish, and they do suffice for easy daily driving, but the rates are ridiculously soft, especially in the rear.
                        The springs' rates got inconsistent and they suffered from spring sag.
                        I ran the rear driver side maxed out, and the rear passenger side with the spring perch completely out, and this gave the car consistent height all around.
                        My set did not leak.

Now I'm on a set of BC's

I personally don't think you'll ever "know" how something will be because you read it on the internet.
                        Maybe it'll give you some insight, but you really have to experience it to know.
                        Annoying car kids who think their very knowledgable because they spend hours on their forum doesn't mean anything if they've never actually put that information to use in the real world.
                        Just because you read a DIY on installing coilovers, does not mean you've installed them before/ know how.

Same goes to you
                        We can try to explain to you how these Racelands will be in your possible future experience with them, but we're filling your mind with ideas from each end of the spectrum.
                        "they're awesome for the price"
                        "they're complete trash"

I've definitely have done my share of "budget" stuff
                        Trying to always get the cheaper alternative, the replica stuff, etc.
                        And after sitting here and actually thinking about it; at the time I was super hyped and loved it
                        but I realize now that those things all either broke, caused problems, or I simply regret getting them.

If you get Racelands now, how long do you expect them to last you?
                        They have a 2 year warranty I believe, so you can expect that, sure
                        But if you don't expect them to last long, and you're going to upgrade soon
                        You might as well wait.
                        Check out the photography thread
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32676

Comment

Just fitted some after my tuning art ones died on me.Will report in a few weeks on it

Comment

it depends on what you're using said car for. daily driving their alright, they aint no cusco however. they get the job done, they lower cars nicely, their cheap, and they really dont break.

Ive been running racelands on my current car (93 WRX Type RA drift whore) for about a year now and I love it, I also had them on a mk2 golf way back in the day. I like them, and if you get them and they arent all what you thought they'd be your only out what a couple hundred bucks?

Comment

Old thread but I have relevant experience.

I bought a '03 Cobra a few years ago with a set of brand new Racelands upfront. (I thought they where Eibachs based on color). With about 800 miles on the car both shocks had blown and it was basically riding on super stiff springs. It was awful. I tossed them for some Bilstien HDs and lowering springs.

The issue becomes the shocks themselves are not valved properly to control the actual springs. Now maybe the previous owner had to much pre-load, but it doesn't matter. You might as well just cut the factory springs, drop the car, blow out the OEM shocks/struts and buy something halfway decent later.

Coilovers in the sub $1k range generally all suck, but Racelands and the "No Name eBays" are a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X