This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start With Vinegar?

The wife and I just got a 2012 Audi B8 Avant (Glacier White). It only has 7 thousand miles or so on it. I've been looking at the paint and want to take down all the products that the dealerships may have used on it. Mainly whatever the used car dealership may have put on it. A friend of mine had mentioned a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water to get all that old finish off. At least I think 50/50 is the mix. And then reapply a quality product to the car.

Anyone ever done such a thing? Any rules for use? Should I not get it on specific things? Is it too early in the cars like to polish before I protect?

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

i don't have a direct yes/no answer to your question, but using anything acidic on a cars paint work seems a bit scary to me! Me and my friend wanted to do the same thing on his car a few months back, and after some research it seems this is highly recomended by alot of people : http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/m...1-cleaner.aspx
    we never got round to using it because he sold the car within a week, but it aprantly removes old wax etc as well as whats listed on that website.
    Hope this helps a bit

Comment

I've seen diluted Windex used to do exactly what you're describing, never heard of using vinegar. Either way, if you're going to strip it all the way down you might as well clay-bar the whole car while you're at it.
      <Imagine a cool photo of a white 98 M3 sedan sitting low on staggered DS2's here>

Comment

Never used or heard of using vinegar to strip off old wax or sealants, but the best thing to use in my opinion is body shop panel wipe or IPA (isopropyl alcohol).

James

Comment

Originally posted by James@AutoFinesse View Post
          Never used or heard of using vinegar to strip off old wax or sealants, but the best thing to use in my opinion is body shop panel wipe or IPA (isopropyl alcohol).

James
          would you dilute the alcohol, if so what ratio?

Comment

Originally posted by Francois Dillinger View Post
            would you dilute the alcohol, if so what ratio?
            Yes about 50:50 with water.

Comment

Doing an "IPA" wipedown will remove all the oils on the paint. You can do this post polishing to ensure all defects have been removed and are not being covered by the polishes you have been using.

Comment

Any areas to avoid with this mixture? Trim, plastics, other? Is it a simple "mix in spray bottle, spray, an wipe off" kind of a deal?

Thanks.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Good old Dawn always did the trick for me. That's the only time I would take it near a car... when I'm trying to strip someone elses questionable waxes/chemicals off of it.

Comment

I've always used dish soap to get rid of wax etc

Comment

I would use
                      NOVOL PLUS 800 INITIAL DEGREASER
                      E30 build

Comment

Seriously though, isopropyl alcohol is the way to go. That's what I was always told to use before applying vinyl to get rid of all the product on the paint.

It's cheap and it's safer than using something acidic.
                        Jason
                        flickr
                        build thread

Comment

Originally posted by Zack01GC View Post
                          Good old Dawn always did the trick for me. That's the only time I would take it near a car... when I'm trying to strip someone elses questionable waxes/chemicals off of it.
                          +1 on dish soap
                          Expect problems and eat them for breakfast.

Comment

dawn ftw

Comment

Just use some dish soap.It will strip any sealant,polish,wax that was applied to the paint
                              If you want to go really deep on it then wipe the car using IPA.

Comment

Working...
                              X