Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Porsche 924 // Improvement on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by keeton View Post
    I'm glad you found something that'll work for you.

I'm glad about that too. Hope the new suspension is here before next weekend.
    My 1978 Porsche 924 build thread is quite boring.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

STRLW // Photography focused on vehicles

Looking forward to see how this pans out

Teaser for this weekend

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

mk1 suspension works with these? that's interesting. they're pretty neat little cars.
    1986 BMW 528e - Delphin Grey - 5spd
    1986 Toyota Cressida - Dark Blue Metallic - 1JZ VVTI swap, AR5 transmission
    1990 Honda Civic Wagon - Rio Red - Daily Driver
    Instagram: @kibur

Quote Originally Posted by kibur View Post
    mk1 suspension works with these? that's interesting. they're pretty neat little cars.
    Yes, they do. Didn't believe it myself. So I bought a cheap second hand kit on ebay to test it myself. And it works perfectly. The new coilovers work for cars with a front weight of up to 960 kg, so it's Porsche level without problems.

Cheap JOM stuff until I can get hold of something better.
    Should work for the beginning.

Default This is it!

Ladies and gentlemen,

this day ended the way it was planned and you might like to see the result of a few hours in the workshop. Finally I managed to slam the Tranny and now my struggle to ruin this formerly well engineered sports car is as close to the ground as I always wanted.

The whole suspension is not properly measured and set yet, but the visible progress is clearly visible. After we pushed it out of the workshop for some photos, I had to tape the front bumper on, just for the looks. The rear still needs to be lowered and there's a lot of work left, but I'm gonna fall asleep smiling.

The photos are all just crappy iPhone quality, some better ones are about to come.

This how we started today:

Some moments later:

Yes! That photo from the front is fantastic to look at.

Now that is low! Looks ace though

Thanks.

Direct comparison front view
    When I bought it

Now

Man that looks great! and you can just use some Golf MK1 coils?
    Automotive+Lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by GertjanVW View Post
    Man that looks great! and you can just use some Golf MK1 coils?
    Thanks. Yes, exactly.

Looks awesome!

How is your balljoints doing? In 944/924's they have a tend to break when the car i lowered alot.. I check mine regularly, and change them once a year. For the type 1 suspension (steel arms), they cost 15$ pr piece. The balljoint is the same as the vw rabbit used up to 82 (or some place around that year)

Any plans for the rear setup?

Looking forward to follow your thread

- 1983 Porsche 944 Turbo Clubsport
    x 1990 Porsche 944 Turbo S
    x 1982 Porsche 944 Cup

it looks good,

but now to me the wheels look too small

Quote Originally Posted by Rannem View Post
    Looks awesome!

How is your balljoints doing? In 944/924's they have a tend to break when the car i lowered alot.. I check mine regularly, and change them once a year. For the type 1 suspension (steel arms), they cost 15$ pr piece. The balljoint is the same as the vw rabbit used up to 82 (or some place around that year)

Any plans for the rear setup?

Looking forward to follow your thread
    I know there are a lot's of VW/Audi parts used for the 924/44. The control arms were still used for the Corrado. Actually I haven't checked the whole set up correctly yet.

The car won't be a daily driver anyway and maybe I can find some parts that are stronger. The 924board is a quite good source for knowledge if you're willing to read through a hell of a lot of information.

The rear will be lowered next to get the car straight. Polybushes and some other fancy stuff will be added as well of course. But I won't go for coilovers on the rear axle.

Quote Originally Posted by P78 View Post
    it looks good,

but now to me the wheels look too small
    You're right. Let's see what I can do about that. The old Audi pcd is limiting the possibilities, but something will happen sooner or later. Probably later.

Haha, yes it's 4x108.
    Let's see what happens.
    I've got some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by forloveandglory View Post
    I know there are a lot's of VW/Audi parts used for the 924/44. The control arms were still used for the Corrado. Actually I haven't checked the whole set up correctly yet.

The car won't be a daily driver anyway and maybe I can find some parts that are stronger. The 924board is a quite good source for knowledge if you're willing to read through a hell of a lot of information.

The rear will be lowered next to get the car straight. Polybushes and some other fancy stuff will be added as well of course. But I won't go for coilovers on the rear axle.
    Yup, i got mine reinforced. Im going to swap the alu arms out for steel ones. Might not be necessary, but its a neat upgrade

Came out like this, need paint though..

You should check out www.forums.rennlist.com Tons of info on 924/944/951/968, which share the same platform.

So i guess you are going to reindex the torsion bars? If you need a guide, I have some info i can send you Send me a PM with your email if you are interested.

And when you are in there, its a good opportunity to go for a stiffer torsion bare. Think 951 ones should fit

x 1982 Porsche 944 Cup

Since my 924 is an early model, my control arms need an additional piece for the anti roll bar. Mine still has connection rods. But the reinforcement looks good, maybe I'll add that later as well.

For now I'll keep my torsion bars. Maybe I can find a part number on them, because my car got some updates by a previous owner. For example I've got the larger anti roll bar in already.

Thanks for the good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by forloveandglory View Post
    Since my 924 is an early model, my control arms need an additional piece for the anti roll bar. Mine still has connection rods. But the reinforcement looks good, maybe I'll add that later as well.

For now I'll keep my torsion bars. Maybe I can find a part number on them, because my car got some updates by a previous owner. For example I've got the larger anti roll bar in already.

Thanks for the good advice.
    Understandable

But you still ned to open the torsion bar housing to lower the rear. Which also means you have to reindex them

x 1982 Porsche 944 Cup

I know.

nice project !

For this low you need bigger wheels, for bigger wheels you need bigger calipers and disks, for that you need 5x130 hubs, for that, you need my OZ wheels :P

i see there are a few 924/944 guys on this forum too, thats nice !

Great project! Not the biggest fan of this kind of Porche, but you are slowly changing my mind

Le Bimmer