my 72 280SE 4.5 [heavy w108 content]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 72 280SE 4.5 [heavy w108 content]

ok, so I have been lurking around and searching through the forum for a while now, I finally ended up buying another 280se. I owned a 1973 280SE 4.5 a while back that I restored then sold, my fiance and I are getting married at the end of October, so I thought what better way then to drive off in a 280SE!

I am starting this thread somewhat late as I bought this car back in June. The car is a 1972 280SE 4.5 with Bosch EFI, painted in hellbrau with dark brown interior. The major downside to the car was the guy who owned it let it sit with about 2 gallons of gas in the tank in the grass under a tree...for 17 years! Now, the guy I purchased the car from only had it for about 4 years or so, but non the less, the car sat not running for 17 years.

how the car looked before the purchase:

the night I took her home:

The fuel system was shot, I drained the tank and filled it with 5 gallons of new gas, fuel filter, fuel hoses and cleaning the injectors: the car fired right up, however with so much rust in the lines, it wasnt long before the fuel injectors were clogged again.

All the fuel fuel rails and inlets were pulled and dipped in chem dip over night to get all the rust out and the fuel lines to the tank [disconnected to the tank of course] were filled with chem dip. This solved my running issue!

heres a short clip of the engine running for the first time in 17 years:

you tube video
    Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM.

What has been done to the car so far:

-all hoses and gaskets for cooling system [exception to the main water pump gasket]
    -all fuel hoses and high pressure hoses
    -fuel injector seals
    -valve cover gasket
    -new vacuum lines
    -all new brake hoses and pads
    -exhaust mounts
    -fuel filter
    -clear pre filter before the fuel pump after the fuel tank
    -cold start seal
    -shifter linkage
    -transmission filter kit
    -ignition resistor
    -Bosch wires and new plugs

what is left to do on the car that has already been purchased:
    -front and rear windshield gaskets
    -trunk gasket
    -misc pieces

what needs to be purchased:
    door seals

what needs to be done to the car:
    -new tires
    -fix body/paint: drive the damn thing!

here are some pics in no particular order of the car:

I got a hair up my ass and drove it to the gas station with my neighbor:
    Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

So the first course of action was to repair the rusted out rocker panels in the front, which is so typical of these cars:

the next day, I approached a very passive neighbor about my car as he would walk by and give me very odd looks, to which he unloaded: so....i relocated the car to my parents house:

and proceeded to tear up the rocker panel on the driver side:

before getting ready to weld up new pieces, I kept smelling gas, after some inspecting I noticed that gasoline was indeed somehow slowly dripping from the top of the tank. Thinking it was maybe shaken fuel from the filler neck that some how traveled to the front, I blew it with an air nozzle, only to release the fountain of gas that was leaking out of a rust hole. After removing the tank, i come to realization that there are a number of rust holes on the tank along the seam. We can all blame this on the 2 gallons of gas that sat in the tank over the course of 17 years.

I finally found someone local who could repair the tank for 250.00 bucks, which will more than likely be a temp fix [if i decide to keep the car after the wedding].
      Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

original battery tray from car on top, my 3 dollar junk yard find that I repainted:

Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

ok, so Monday was tear the back end down day and cut out as much rust as possible out to weld in next weekend to make it a much faster process:

Then tonight, I cut out all my templates and taped them in place to cut out for next weekend:

Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

of course, this project would not be complete without stancing it, as I cannot not own a car without lowering it, like my C230K:

my fiance's 190E only lasted a week until I got a hold of it: lowering it, putting euro spec head lamps and removing the badges:

Now, bags would be ideal, but since my budget wont allow for it for this project, I think cut springs may be the way I have to go as ghetto as it may be. I know some guys have done this on here, and I'd love to hear your feed back. This does not have the center spring compensator on the diff, but the hydro-pneumatic compensator.
            Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Cut springs are a common thing among the older mercs. Haven't heard bad things about it, even the ride quality still remains the same (from what i've read) but I'm lovin the resto project! Got any plans to lower it? Also I would recommend some white wall tires to maintain that classiness.
              sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

if time permits before the wedding, it will be lowered without a doubt, i do have some E500 progressive H&R springs that im wondering if they will fit, but well see.

I would love to do white walls on it, but...budget is keeping me back for now, may have to go with flappers from portawalls...

Comment

Another Merc guy in VA... where in VA are located?
                  Follow on IG
                  amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                  Vintage AME Wheels
                  RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                  W115 & W123

Comment

for some reason, these builds are growing on me more and more, I love the clasiness these cars have and would love to see someone retrofit a set of coils on these rather than cutting the springs. I know the datsuns can use camaros struts and would love to see a similar set up of some sort on one of these.

You'rs looks good and I like the plans you have in store, what wheels would you run on it? classic stockers or maybe new school amg's would be a nice fit on this.

Comment

Originally posted by sally pu View Post

You'rs looks good and I like the plans you have in store, what wheels would you run on it? classic stockers or maybe new school amg's would be a nice fit on this.
                      Currently I am planning on running the original steelies with the caps, if i decide to keep the car, id like to have a look similar to this one:

Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore View Post
                      Another Merc guy in VA... where in VA are located?
                      I'm located in Gainesville, the W108 currently resides for restoration just north of Warrenton.
                      Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:26 PM.

Comment

yup...the above pic is ill...please keep this merc and do that!

Comment

Ok, so its been a while since a update, works been busy and the weather hasnt been cooperating very well since the restoration is taking place outside.... I have roughly about less than 50 days left to finish the benz so its been hectic as anything! Most current is the trunk rust repair is finally finished, rust repair on both quarter panels done, roof repair and both front and rear windshield removed

I got the fuel tank back about a couple of weeks but have not been able to put it back in the car as I one more spot to weld in the back, then back in she goes! The fuel tank repair set me back about 250.00, which the guy said the tank was border line unsavable, if the car stays in the collection, a fuel tank replacement will be in order.

body work in rear mostly done, rear quarter panel side marker lights shaved

rear spot primed + 280SE and 4.5 emblems shaved off

my fiance helping out!

next on the agenda is to have the roof and rocker panels finished and primed and hopefully the fender work started.
                          Last edited by lewda; 09-16-2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

awesome build . love it.

Comment

good shit man

Comment

Working...
                              X