More Go Than Show - New Edge Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Go Than Show - New Edge Content

Now that the heavy lifting has been done on my project and I start to look to the finer details of the build, I thought I might throw up some build info on S|W. I know it probably won't get any love here, but maybe there's a few members that deep down secretly love a PD blown American V8.

How It All Started-
    For $3500 I got this "beauty" and a pickup truck full of spare parts.

I even had to turn down a spare motor because I didn't have space for it. The owner was desperate to get rid of it because he couldn't deal with it (read: f***** it up beyond imagination) and bought a fox body instead. This thing was plagued with problems. Excessive camber, needed tires, brakes, stalled out, rear wheel bearing, primer, dented to hell, electrical gremlins abound, and wiring that would make most cringe.

Due to her horrible appearance and bad manners, I christened her "The Big Dirty" because she is one big, dirty, dumpster fire of a car.

When I got it home it was in such bad shape, my dad refused to speak to me for two days, and when he did, he gave me an ultimatum: get it road legal in two weeks, or it's on the front lawn with a "For Sale" sign in it.

It still wasn't a bad start. It was lowered, had FLSFC's, 04 Cobra rear, Bilsteins out back, CAI, transplanted P71 Interceptor motor, O/R X pipe, Flowmasters of some sort, a cat back, Cobra bumpers, POR-15'ed the whole underside, Mach 1 transmission, Centerforce DFX clutch, aluminum flywheel, and all kinds of other goodies.

Over the course of about two weeks I shed tons of blood sweat and tears getting her to pass NYS inspection for well under $500 worth of parts. Lots of late nights in the driveway (I wasn't allowed in the garage with this POS) and lots of PBR tall boys while working on it. Some of the problems turned out to be painfully easy. The stalling was due to a combination of exhaust leak (missing a nut to the manifold, $0.05) and vacuum leak (two hose clamps, $0.50). The amplifier he said was great and didn't work turned out to be wired wrong. A couple splices and it worked beautifully. I even scored a set of used NYS Trooper tires for $140 total. They look hideous but they passed inspection.
    I had almost succumbed to the deadline, but got that precious sticker a couple days early. I had actually bought a "For Sale" sign in advance, expecting to lose this stupid car.

Here she is once she passed inspection and got plates-

Then of course things got fun. I moved to IN for a job that afforded me a bit more scratch to spend on the car. I decided to make a "poor man's terminator" and do a Cobra swap on it. Thus it became "Project: Secondhand Snake" in which I swapped as much as I could using almost exclusively used and junkyard parts. You can read the gritty details of the battle on the main build thread-
    Official Project: Secondhand Snake Build Thread

Over the course of about 6 months she got all kinds of Cobra upgrades, including an 03 motor, ported/pullied M112 blower, longtubes, cams, RAI, fuel tank, dual GT pumps, dual FPDM and wiring mods, and a few aesthetic touches such as SN95 sail panels, spoiler delete, and Cobra sideskirts.

The impressive part of this? I did it in an unheated, unlit, unpowered storage space on the other side of town during the winter, alone.

A taste of the motor that went in-

Now we're just about up to speed. She's running (for the most part) and just has a few minor mechanical issues to sort out.

How she sits now-

Now we're almost down to suspension. Those hideous pitted 17x8" Bullitt's had to go, and so did their tires.

I'm sure everyone here is all about brand name wheels, but I saw a set not too far from me that weren't what I wanted, but were a great deal, and just matched my car perfectly. They're a set of staggered 03 Cobras, black inset and machined face. 17x9 up front. 17x10.5" out back, just like I like them.

Here they are just back from picking them up in the tank, my 12 Ram 2500-

And here's a teaser of some test fitment of the wheels, sans tires-

I hope to get the fronts wrapped with whatever 245/45/R17's I can pick up, but the rears will be getting some Nitto NT05 315/35/R17's to put all that torque to the pavement.

Don't expect too much for fitment in the rear. I like low, but ultimately I'd like to be able to run a set of Hoosier QTP's on 15's out back, something like this-

In the meantime, this is how she spends most of her time-

She will definitely need some serious work on the front end. Poor fitment with the 2v motor only got worse with the added weight of the blown 4v. Lots of camber, lots of low, terrible fit, and even rubbing on the wheel well and harness.

I'll put some updates in as the suspension and appearance build progresses. I've got a long list of upgrades to do, including coilovers up front, tubular A-arms, tubular K-member, CC plates (already have them), a Saleen S281 3 piece spoiler, 03 Cobra interior (already have it) and a whooooooole lot of body work.
    Last edited by wickedsnake00; 07-31-2012, 02:19 PM.
    I Have No Idea What I'm Doing

I am definitely a domestic fanboy (even though i have a vw and a bmw) before i got any of my cars, this a Foxbody mustang with a 351w bored to a 408 and supercharged and errething, was my dream car, and i can for sure see me in a mustang one day. great job saving it!
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    the VW community is weird. dont try to understand, its like understanding africa.
    Instagram: bigslowchevy

Comment

Always love these "save someone else's hack job" threads.

Keep it up.

Originally posted by Kielan
      Well dip me in shit and roll me in breadcrumbs...

Comment

**** those cars, but glad you accepted the challenge! Oh and put OEM cobra headlights on it!

Comment

Get some new head lights, those are terrible.
          otherwise, it looks great!

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
          @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Good work so far! I wish I had the time to take on a big project such as this

Instagram - @choadyhighroller
            Originally posted by nickskater09
            I think Jody, along with Ashton, like to push the line between "street legal" and "realistically driveable".

Comment

Originally posted by HooWybrow View Post
              Always love these "save someone else's hack job" threads.

Keep it up.
              Big fan of your build, so I will definitely take that as a compliment.

Originally posted by squeakyclean View Post
              **** those cars, but glad you accepted the challenge! Oh and put OEM cobra headlights on it!
              Doesn't everyone **** these cars though? I know I'm ***** by the Honda community, the Camaro community, the BMW community, pretty much every import, and even the Cobra community.

Those projector headlights are definitely going in the trash at some point. They're some lousy Chinese made ones. The connectors are poorly made, they used to be heavily oxidized until I buffed them out, but there's actually small fissures INSIDE the lens. Garbage. But since they work they're low on the priority list, especially with the list of mechanical work I have, including the flat tire and blown heater core I discovered this week.

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
              Get some new head lights, those are terrible.
              otherwise, it looks great!
              They're on the list. I'd like to go with some smoked or black housing OEM style ultimately.

I'll continue the updates as I make progress. This week should be mostly mechanical/electrical work to at least get it running properly, which is anything but noteworthy/interesting. If all goes well I might at least get to play around with dialing in the front wheels this weekend.

Comment

Keep up the good work. Looks kinda rough but I bet it's fast as hell now!

Comment

Love these type of "saving/restoring car" threads, glad to see you've accepted the challenge. Keep up the good work!
                  sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

Well I actually made quite a bit of progress last week.

I got my CC plates in, so no more stupid camber up front!
                    Of course the strut towers were pretty rusted underneath, so I sanded/primed/painted/cleared them. And now they look better than 85% of the car.

I'm pretty happy with the resulting fitment, at least compared to what it used to be.

The only catch is I'm still getting some rubbing, especially on the drivers side during heavy braking and turning. I think I'll need to tuck the harness in there somehow. It's also got me apprehensive to put those new 17x9's up front with 275's. It might be too much until I get this figured out.

Other than that lots of other goodies went in. Intercooler pump wired up, wideband and boost gauge all wired up

Any Don Hertzfeldt fans? They might recognize the crudely drawn figure in the empty bezel to the left.

I even threw in my 03 Cobra interior.

Aww yeah. Lookin' good. Probably the best the interior has looked since I owned it. All the interior panels are actually in place.

While I was installing the new seats I found a couple nametags. Out of curiosity, I looked up the name on Facebook. Sure enough, it was the guy who owned the car before the guy I bought it from. According to him he took it on as a project car, and it was still an electrical clusterf*** back then. It also had Altezzas and underglow at that point.

Needless to say, this thing has come a long way, and if I do say so myself, has been saved. I got a laugh when he said he thought it was pretty quick running 8.6's in the 1/8th, and that he always dreamed of Cobra swapping it. Well buddy, dream achieved.

With all sorts of nonsense installed and the engine bay tidied up a bit, I gave it the first wash in a long time. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it actually looked, at least compared to six months ago.

And of course, a sight I like to think will cause most people's blood to run cold when they spot it in their rear view mirror-

With all that accomplished I took it for a good romp, this time venturing to 11psi and 3k RPM. I did a few quick 1st-3rd pulls and she definitely moves out. It has no problem pinning you to the seats even if you don't have the pedal pinned to the floor. Exhaust sounds good too.

What really shocked me was how quick the torque comes on. After making a gentle turn while still rolling I decided to goose the throttle a little. I figured it would chirp the tires and then take off.

NOPE.

What I got instead was a 100ft rolling burnout before I let out. I think it's safe to say I'm going to need those 10.5" wheels out back, because these 245's are no match for this engine.

Now some would be happy with that kind of neck snapping performance.

In my best Billy Mays-

But Wait!!! There's More!!!

I picked up this little gem this week for stage II of the build, likely over the winter and spring.

I'm thinking compound boost, with this HX50 feeding the M112 Eaton for a torque curve fatter than the state of Mississippi. Should let me break 700, which is about all I'll ask since that will be at the max of my current fuel system. The drivetrain and engine should have no problem up to 850 and beyond.

Looking forward I'm going to try and improve the paint a little and get some fresh rubber for the tires. I've also got a few spots picked out for some photoshoots in the near future, and maybe some obligatory acceleration videos.

Comment

I usually dislike mustangs, but glad to see this one saved, and very curious whats going to happen with the turbo and charger
                      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Can't wait to see more progress!!

Comment

Isn't it fun to be ***** by multiple communities?

Great to hear you're twin-charging it! Big love to the Termi swap, that's awesome. I'm a big blue oval fan, and having crossed two cars off the "dream car" list already [my Starion and my Shelby Lancer], the next step is a Terminator.

Definitely watching this.
                          - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

great save! can't wait to see more progress

Comment

This is such an awesome build. Keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                              X