Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In an effort to save a huge wad of money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In an effort to save a huge wad of money...

Myself and my buddy are doing the a/c work ourselves.
    • Evaporator
    • Condensor
    • Drier
    • Expansion valve

Call me crazy, but I don't really have a choice. If we go this route then I'll only be spending 1/6 of what the estimate was from a local euro shop. The party starts tonight after work and we'll be taking our time, maybe even do a diy. Worse case scenario I'll carpool with the misses until we finish.
    My website

Good Luck! I know how it is to do things yourself due to cost!

Comment

Shit, good luck man. Keep us posted.

Comment

I saved a big wad of money... No more A/C

Comment

Originally posted by ProjektONE View Post
          Good Luck! I know how it is to do things yourself due to cost!
          Originally posted by B Rod View Post
          Shit, good luck man. Keep us posted.
          Thanks, I'm kinda looking forward to it but at the same time I'm not. We do all the work on our own cars but knowing how many hours and what needs to be removed from the car makes me cringe a bit. We're gonna try to take pics at the least.

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
          I saved a big wad of money... No more A/C
          So wait, you have no a/c? You can get somewhat get away with that in Cali but the humidity here will strangle you. This is my first car that had working a/c and I miss it.
          My website

Comment

Most tuners over here run no A/C, waste of space and power

Comment

Yeah I did that with my 20v Corolla, and I'm so over it.
              My website

Comment

you can do it in NC if you don't want to drive your car from late May until late September

i used to live in San Diego and a lot of people removed AC from their cars

Comment

One of my coworkers just moved here from Nevada, and he has a Hyundai Accent that came from the factory w/o a/c.
                  My website

Comment

alotta base model cars didnt have A/C for a long time. I think most of them do as of the last couple years now though

Comment

I was in Cali and have visited before and I bet you could get away without A/C but power being one issue? On the 328iC I can tell the A/C is on. On the M3 you can hardly tell. I would never remove that in the quest for power. There are too many good tuners that can get a turbo on the e36(and other cars) and make 500, 600 and more HP and never touch the A/C.

Floor it and you definitely cannot tell.

OP,

Is this a repair of broken factory components or something custom? If it is OEM replacement it won't be that bad. I would recommend having a shop that has scales and proper equipment vacuum the system and refill exactly. There is a huge difference when you do it right. When I was in school I recharged the M3... we got it REAL cold! Having that proper setup/fill level is one of the keys!

Comment

Good luck, sounds like a major PITA.
                        Originally posted by da3bous
                        I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                          Is this a repair of broken factory components or something custom? If it is OEM replacement it won't be that bad. I would recommend having a shop that has scales and proper equipment vacuum the system and refill exactly. There is a huge difference when you do it right. When I was in school I recharged the M3... we got it REAL cold! Having that proper setup/fill level is one of the keys!
                          Yeah both my condenser and evaporator have leaks. As for the vacuum and charge I agree with you on that, thanks for the input though.

Quick update as well: evap, expansion valve, and microfilter have been replaced and the interior is back in sans the passenger seat. The hardest part was having to remove the heater core to get to the evap & valve, everything else was fine bc we made sure to organize and mark all the nuts and bolts. I also did a quick shampooing and vacuuming of my carpet, the previous owner liked to spill coffee everywhere apparently.

My buddy just got his job back so it might take a little while for us to do the condenser and drier but thats okay with me, as long as I can drive it in the meantime.

Thanks for the encouraging words though, I'm sure that bf.c would damn me to hell for tearing out my dash and put it back together.
                          My website

Comment

Oh that? Thats just the money you could be saving by DIY.

Comment

I did have this feeling, that somebody was watching us...
                              My website

Comment

Working...
                              X