Minty 1969 510 Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minty 1969 510 Sedan

So this is going to be a compacted version of my current build thread from a forum Im more active on. This build is fairly new with me purchasing the car in January so theres still lots to do to get it exactly where I want it. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to discuss.

This is how I picked it up from the previous owner:

Started working on some small stuff.

Covered the rear seat. It was in great physical condition, but the PO removed the cover to have a new one made but since that didnt happen I had to do something.

Installed some rare GL tail lights. I still have to install the third center piece that goes with these, but the tail light panel in dented in some so it wont sit flush. I also have to remove the license plate lights and move to a bumper mounted version as well. Just havent had time so Im rocking just the two lights:

I installed 280zx hubs, struts, coilovers, and brakes on the car so I could no longer rock the stock steelies as they would not clear the calipers. I didnt want to get rid of the whitewalls just yet, so I picked up a set of Aero Racing rims. They are the only 13's to clear a ZX setup.

Stock height:

Side poke:

--Tristin

Stock front suspension:

280zx suspension:

How it sat after lowering it with the front coilovers... its at a bit of a rake due to massive rubbing in the rear. The tires are 80sw so they were quite large. The stock springs in the rear were so soft over their 40yrs that I couldnt carry more than 50lbs in the rear or I would rub.

Decided to do something about the soft rear, so I installed a set of Camaro shocks and ST lowering springs. Although shorter than stock, they were far stiffer which resulted in less rubbing.

A quick roll for clearance:

And this is how it sat:

I drove it around like this for quite some time. I enjoyed the hell out of it...

I picked up a rare grille known as a Safari grille and rocked that for a bit:

Last edited by tristinGrind; 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM.
    --Tristin

Comment

Everything was going great and nothing could go wrong... until this happened:

Ironically I was picking up a set of freshly powdercoated rims when my tire decided it no longer wanted to live... I scrambled around for tires for the new rims (as I didnt have any plans to mount them for a bit) and got her back on the road quickly.

New rims and tires installed:

SSR MKIIs in the front (15x7 +10) and SSR MKIIIs in the rear (15x8 +12) with a slight stretch on all four tires.

I picked up an even rarer grille from a friend in Japan. Its a 1973 SSS 1600 grille...

Theres no center console so I needed somewhere to put my drank while cruising so I remembered I picked this up last time I was in Japan:

Added some seat covers to cover up some of the tears in the stock upholstery:

Last edited by tristinGrind; 06-19-2012, 09:22 PM.
      --Tristin

Comment

Love 510's and can't wait to see how this build goes
        My '66 C10 Build
        My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

How it sits now:

--Tristin

Comment

Originally posted by 99sil-teg View Post
            Love 510's and can't wait to see how this build goes
            Thanks! I still have quite a few plans left to get it to where Im mostly done/happy with it. It runs like a champ and looks decent so Im pretty content. Im hoping to have it mostly done by this time next year for an annual Datsun weekend carshow as well as a local old school event they do up here.

I dont have much left thats big so it shouldnt be too hard. As of right now, I have to major items on my list and thats an engine swap (nothing crazy, mostly bolt in) and rebarrelling my SSRs wider. The rest is all easy/cheap things I can do as I go.

One other item that may happen is I might bag it. The strut setup in the front isnt very bag friendly since theres no upper control arm to stabilize the bag, but we shall see what I come up with.
            --Tristin

Comment

Loving this!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Love the mismatched wheels!
                Follow on IG
                amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                Vintage AME Wheels
                RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                W115 & W123

Comment

This is my kind of build, I love this!

Such a good color! Now sixty-nine-dime has some competition.

Comment

Ha... I just went through your build thread earlier; great thread! Your engine bay is wicked. Ill have to check out this other thread you mention.

Edit: Turns out I already know that car... Im friends with his brother. Were from around the same area.
                    Last edited by tristinGrind; 06-19-2012, 11:30 PM.
                    --Tristin

Comment

great so far, love the wheels

i hope to own day own one

Comment

Already looks killer. Keeping an eye on this one.

Comment

So to sum up the 40 or so pages of my other thread, here is what I really have left to do. Some of this stuff I really havent mention even on that forum, but here are the rest of my plans:

In no particular order-
                          • Engine swap (more-than-likely just a rebuilt stock unit)
                          • Dual Mikuni side drafts
                          • 20gal. fuel cell
                          • ProClassic lines for everything
                          • Relocate battery to trunk
                          • Finish GL tail light install
                          • Bumper mounted license plate light
                          • ZG fender flares... possibly BAMF (wider) versions... possibly carbon fiber
                          • Vinyl top (though I would have to get rid of my sunroof which I like very much)
                          • Engine bay tuck
                          • Stereo
                          • Skid plate

Now those are the for sures. I have a few possibly's as well as a few options.

Air bags: Now, everyone wants to go lower. Moar loar is always better! But I dont want to scrap shit... thats only fun for so long. Well bags should get me where I want, but whats holding me back is the front suspension. With the way that its configured, air bags are not fully supported and can move around. There is no upper control arm to keep things solid. Ive been brainstorming a few ideas with a could other people who are interested in bagging 510s, and were trying to come up with a solid plan.

Dry sump oil system: Now, Id like to do this for a few reasons.
                          1. Better oil control
                          2. If the pan is shorter, I might be able to remove the pan without needing to pull the engine (which is the normal procedure)
                          3. The drain plug on the 510 pan is the lowest part of the engine bay which is ridiculous. What that means is, is that whenever you lower your car, the first thing you scrap is the drain plug. That blows.
                          4. Because I can as a machinist... or will be anyway. Im still new to this game, but I figure milling my own oil pan and reservoir tank will be fun.

Wheels:
                          Now I currently have two options that Im looking at doing for wheels. Now, Im either going to rebarrel my SSRs (as I love love love SSRs), or will be making my own set of centers for a set of BBS barrels. I just know that I will need a wider set of wheels to fill out the flares.

Went to a local show in Seattle for all Japanese and Euro cars pre-85:

Last edited by tristinGrind; 06-20-2012, 03:15 AM.
                          --Tristin

Comment

I love 510s! I would like to see more pics of your car, maybe you could give us a link to your build thread so we can just check out on the other forum?

My build thread>http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31670

Sparkin CB7

Comment

Just awesome.
                              BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                              Originally posted by Ollie
                              We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Working...
                              X