Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 142

Thread: I ♥ my Sonderklasse.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default I ♥ my Sonderklasse - It's getting fixed!

    I figure I will start a build thread, since I'm starting quite a bit of work to the Mercedes. Welcome to my build thread, I bought a 1981 Mercedes-Benz 500SE AMG in Febuary, needs A LOT of work, but its a good start. Seems to me like a few owners neglected her and her appearance shows it. She's ugly right now, but I still love her. But, onward with pictures.


    Here's how I got her. I paid $2700 for it. Came with a shitton of parts.











    Like I said, she's a little rough. But I'm ready to make her shine. I drove it like you see it above for a week or so. Then I got sick of the amber corners. And bought these.



    Had a little mishap with one side, had to get a new one sent to me.



    No matter, got the new one, and I was on my way. Been driving her around, and had a couple oh shit moments and I replaced the brake pads, going for slotted rotors, new calipers, and Hawk pads in the near future, as well as a new brake master, current one is dying. Oh, I replaced the tires, I had cords showing. (I did 120 in these) Running 205/50/16 up front, 225/50/16 out back. Should have went with 195s up front, but oh well.



    I took her out to the beach a few times, made the hour trip with no issues. Of course the ladies loved her, and not me. But whatever, she's all I need anyway, besides my Camaro.





    And my favorite picture I have ever taken, from my phone.



    Then, I made the drive out to Tampa for Euroteffen 2012, I was the only Mercedes there, was a good feeling.



    But the skies turned nasty and rained, so I left before the show ended. That was the best she's ever looked since I've owned her.

    I decided I wanted to do something special to the tails, didn't like the stock look. So I painted in the inside of the grooves.



    I think it turned out well, I need to do it again, got a couple spots I missed, damn me being impatient.



    I then did a full tune up, plugs, plug wires, dist cap, rotor, battery, fuel filter, trans fluid/filter. $500 worth, damn car took 7 qts of 20w-50, was expecting 5 lol. Still has a massive vacuum leak from the intake, but the amount of work is insane, needs a timing chain and the like too. Not too concerned since I'm pulling the motor/trans late this year.
    Sorry, no pictures of that ordeal, plugs were completely done for, and they were the complete wrong plug for the motor as well, so I was glad to get those out.

    I ordered exhaust yesterday and will be here tomorrow, will be installing it as well as tinting the windows Saturday. I need to order a moon roof seal as well, damn thing leaks. Looking to replace the headliner soon, but I'm afraid I'll find a shiton of rust. Planning on a blue plaid design, or whatever I feel fits. Good friend of mine suggested leopard print as my car has been dubbed, "The Pussy Wagon" by my female friends. So we'll see where I go with that.

    I've gotta fix my Camaro soon, Mercedes gets like 8 MPG, so gas is nuts. I blew the V6 in it, so I'm replacing it with one, but with something special. Really to save money on gas, I'm prepping the car for Simply Clean 4. Saving for paint/body work now, going to repaint her the stock color, I've got a idea of what wheels I want, but they are $$$ and I'm not sure how they will fit with the suspension the way it is.

    But, she is as you see her. I've got a lot of work ahead, but she'll be worth it. Wanting to get her done, I want to add a R32 GTR to my collection next year, that or a Ferrari 308 GTS, haven't set my mind on one car yet. Hope you all love her as much as I do. Will post updates as they happen.
    Last edited by RubbderDucky; 07-31-2013 at 11:39 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Dope, used to have a normal one of these in the same color... then it died.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Lose the stickers, it is a MB man.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E30 F34R View Post
    Lose the stickers, it is a MB man.
    Yeah, after I tint the windows I'm probably gonna ditch them. I said the same thing to myself. Lol.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubbderDucky View Post
    Yeah, after I tint the windows I'm probably gonna ditch them. I said the same thing to myself. Lol.
    It is wicked awesome man, I love everything so far. Ride height is amazing, wheels are refreshing and it is clean. Just needs less JDM sticker shit IMO.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E30 F34R View Post
    It is wicked awesome man, I love everything so far. Ride height is amazing, wheels are refreshing and it is clean. Just needs less JDM sticker shit IMO.
    Yeah, I said to myself yesterday, the fuck was I thinking? I've got another "Raw Brokerage" sticker I'm going to put on the rear quarter window, it's a good friend of mines performance shop. But those are coming off.


    Oh, I found this picture of both of my cars. I wanted to stance the Camaro, but with a solid axle and the amount of money and work to make it that low, isn't worth it.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA.
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    so much potential here great find for $2700

  8. #8

    Default

    Looks great so far man. Those wheels spaced out a bit would look phenomenal.

  9. #9

    Default

    Love it! I love the wheels r9 right?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    palm coast FL
    Posts
    782

    Default

    i almost bought this car.the PO was a really cool guy.... u need to get rid of that Post merger AMG badge... i have a Pre-Merger AMG badge for ya like the one in my sig... let me know im local...
    also those Ronal Pentas are a great way to get money to fund your build.... im assuing you wanna go bigger wheel, to a right buyer on Benzworld those things can sell up to 2000 bucks... i sold mine in OK condition with clear pealing for 1700 plus shipping... i was amazed at how many people were foaming at the mouth for them...
    Last edited by Bystrov; 06-15-2012 at 12:05 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    545

    Default

    this wouldnt happen to be badWAYZZ old car, would it?
    i did the same thing to my tails back in the day

    but i changed it up to all reds looks so much better, classier dare i say?

    you should try getting your hands on another set of tails to do it with. i had like three sets of tails for my car so i can change it up anytime i like.
    Last edited by w201e34; 06-15-2012 at 01:20 AM.
    Balls Deep Squad.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bystrov View Post
    i almost bought this car.the PO was a really cool guy.... u need to get rid of that Post merger AMG badge... i have a Pre-Merger AMG badge for ya like the one in my sig... let me know im local...
    also those Ronal Pentas are a great way to get money to fund your build.... im assuing you wanna go bigger wheel, to a right buyer on Benzworld those things can sell up to 2000 bucks... i sold mine in OK condition with clear pealing for 1700 plus shipping... i was amazed at how many people were foaming at the mouth for them...
    Yeah, I want a per-merger badge, how much you looking for? I'm probably going to keep the Pentas since they are real Gen 1 AMGs, my plan is for a set of 18 or 17" x9 CCW Classics.


    Quote Originally Posted by w201e34 View Post
    this wouldnt happen to be badWAYZZ old car, would it?
    i did the same thing to my tails back in the day

    but i changed it up to all reds looks so much better, classier dare i say?

    you should try getting your hands on another set of tails to do it with. i had like three sets of tails for my car so i can change it up anytime i like.
    No sir, its not his car. I believe a buddy of his owns in Washington state. At least that's what I got from his build thread. Yeah, I'll have to try doing different things with the tails.
    Last edited by RubbderDucky; 06-15-2012 at 09:23 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    palm coast FL
    Posts
    782

    Default

    pre merger badges are like looking for gold. few have them not many wanna let em go. but We benz people around here (locally) tend to stick together. welcome to the club sort of thing... ill hook u up with a badge bro no worries.. id love to see this thing in person... send me a PM some time, my name is alex.

    PS im also one of the few people around here who has Klann Compressors for springs. just a FYI

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bystrov View Post
    pre merger badges are like looking for gold. few have them not many wanna let em go. but We benz people around here (locally) tend to stick together. welcome to the club sort of thing... ill hook u up with a badge bro no worries.. id love to see this thing in person... send me a PM some time, my name is alex.

    PS im also one of the few people around here who has Klann Compressors for springs. just a FYI
    Will do man. Thanks.


    Little update, some goodies for tomorrow.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Little update, haven't gotten exhaust on yet. Been waiting to use my buddies lift. I installed a new ignition coil, and today my right rear brake caliper died. I've already got a new one on the way, but won't get here till Tuesday. But I did find a 500SE trunk badge that shipped today. Should be in my hands early next week. I got a quote for paint/bodywork. Looking at $2000-$2500, as for wheels and tires, looking at $2500+ for 17x9/17x10 CCW Classics, and like $700 for 215/40 and 235/40 BFG KDWs. Going to be a stretch to get her ready for Simply Clean 4, so much else that needs to be replaced. I did find a pre-merger AMG trunk badge for $200 on eBay in Tampa, but I don't have the cash now.

    I also ordered 2 master keys for the car, only lock they work in is the glove box. So I'm going to order a trunk lock and a ignition cylinder from the dealer for it.


    Pic of the 500SE badge:







    Edit:

    Trunk lid seal and sunroof seal came in. Tired of them leaking.

    Last edited by RubbderDucky; 06-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Philthadelphia
    Posts
    56

    Default

    This is a classic car. I really hope you can bring it back, and not make it all trendy. Simple and Clean my freind. Good Luck.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    708

    Default

    i love where this is going, i want to see more.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Metro Atl
    Posts
    7,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubbderDucky View Post
    Little update, haven't gotten exhaust on yet. Been waiting to use my buddies lift. I installed a new ignition coil, and today my right rear brake caliper died. I've already got a new one on the way, but won't get here till Tuesday. But I did find a 500SE trunk badge that shipped today. Should be in my hands early next week. I got a quote for paint/bodywork. Looking at $2000-$2500, as for wheels and tires, looking at $2500+ for 17x9/17x10 CCW Classics, and like $700 for 215/40 and 235/40 BFG KDWs. Going to be a stretch to get her ready for Simply Clean 4, so much else that needs to be replaced. I did find a pre-merger AMG trunk badge for $200 on eBay in Tampa, but I don't have the cash now.

    I also ordered 2 master keys for the car, only lock they work in is the glove box. So I'm going to order a trunk lock and a ignition cylinder from the dealer for it.


    Pic of the 500SE badge:







    Edit:

    Trunk lid seal and sunroof seal came in. Tired of them leaking.

    I'm not sure how those are going to go with the car. I think something period correct that flows with the styling of the car. IMO Either way it should look dope


    W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P




    R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 244Brick View Post
    I'm not sure how those are going to go with the car. I think something period correct that flows with the styling of the car. IMO Either way it should look dope
    The idea in my head says its going to be cool as shit, but I really need somebody with Photoshop skills to shop a set on before I make a purchase.


    Little piece for her came in today. I can't drive it at the moment, piston seal on the right rear caliper died, brake fluid everywhere, so I'm waiting for the new caliper to come in so I can get her going again.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Well, I started to repair the caliper today. Pulled the pads to find this: Keep in mind those pads are 2 months old, and the other side is fine.





    No big deal, brought the pads back to Autozone for warranty replacement, and got my core back from my caliper.


    Got it on, old brake line isn't long enough. Okay, no problem go get a new one from Autozone, bent it to the correct length/size got it installed. New pads on bolted up, lets bleed the brakes, easy right?


    Wrong. Right rear rubber hose died as well, went to go get one hose, no go. Got another that will fit. Awesome. Went to pull the line from the hard line coming from the master, nope, its not coming loose. At this time it got dark so we packed up, and went in. But, I guess a good thing that happened was we found a massive vacuum leak and repaired it. Car idles much smoother now. Still trying to get the exhaust on, just going to find a good exhaust shop this weekend, I don't feel like waiting any longer on my buddy to do it for me.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Back In Utah ... Again.
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Man this thing is legit.

    I remember seeing a 500 SEL AMG in a junkyard here in Utah. Couldn't believe my eyes. Looked like it was T-boned by an SUV or something. Next day I went back with a grip of cash to pilfer the remaining goods, and it was gone.

    Aren't there only a handful of these in the US anyway?
    - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Derby, UK
    Posts
    8,008

    Default

    Amazing, just amazing. One of my favourite Mercedes ever made, such an awesome bodyshape.

  23. #23

    Default

    I love this old school classiness!

    keep it the way it is...I love those wheels

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daviticus View Post
    Man this thing is legit.

    I remember seeing a 500 SEL AMG in a junkyard here in Utah. Couldn't believe my eyes. Looked like it was T-boned by an SUV or something. Next day I went back with a grip of cash to pilfer the remaining goods, and it was gone.

    Aren't there only a handful of these in the US anyway?
    I wish I could find a 500SEL AMG in the yard here, much more a 500SEL non AMG all we ever see in the yard is 300s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    Amazing, just amazing. One of my favourite Mercedes ever made, such an awesome bodyshape.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sally pu View Post
    I love this old school classiness!

    keep it the way it is...I love those wheels
    I love the wheels too, but I'd like something larger.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Small update, car is still broken, replaced caliper, brake hose, rear pads, and now the master is dead as well. I don't have the money for it just yet so it'll be Friday before I can order it. After cleaning up the wheels, I like how they look shined up more on the car, not sure what I'll do about wheels, I wish they were 18x9s. Lol.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •