Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a good DSLR ... Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to not PP much or at all, but then i realized even with film, there was still dodging and burning and tweaking to an extent. So i just kinda do PP for certain shots, some i leave alone

Flickr

Comment

:fist bump:
      finally something we are on shared ground lol
      Disclaimer:
      I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
        you know one

ILl post up some of the stuff i actually get paid for when i get home.
        Model shoots i never PP. i do take a little longer when shooting though, but it makes up for itself on the backend.
        Wow really? Most model photographers are like post processing crack-heads. Props to you then. You don't even use masks for skin?

Well, for me personally, I wouldn't feel like a picture is complete without running it through Lightroom. But then again I also don't have high end gear, so I have to make up for it in post to some extent.
        Jason
        flickr
        build thread

Comment

I am in the same boat as you, I am jealous of all these awesome pics I see. I have been reading up on DSLR for some time now and hope to buy soon.

Comment

Dane and FreshLikeSushi, you guys must love each other, jesus...

VW Gol Power 1.6

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
              Wow really? Most model photographers are like post processing crack-heads. Props to you then. You don't even use masks for skin?

Well, for me personally, I wouldn't feel like a picture is complete without running it through Lightroom. But then again I also don't have high end gear, so I have to make up for it in post to some extent.
              My philosiphy is this
              I am here to photograph a person, not an ideal. If they want better skin, work at it. better hair? work at it. I like to caputre the individual as who they are at THAT instant. the looks, emotions, whatever it is that is making me want to take that picture when i push the shutter button. Imperfections give definition to the photo. Freckles, pimples, scars whatever. its the person, not an ideal of beauty or perfection that i am capturing. BUT, if they have great skin, i have small stuff i do while i shoot with lights to make it look even better. same with hair, eyes, whatever. I can hide imperfections in some cases if they are really self concious about it with the way light falls like shadows, or accents to distract it.
              I pride myself on getting it as close to the picture i see through the viewfinder, when i take the picture. It sickens me when i shoot with friends for fun and they say, " Ill just fix that in photoshop". I am a photographer (and now videographer), not a digital artist. I do the best i possibly can to put out a picture i am proud of, and dont mind showing out of the camera.

are there things i could do? yeah. i could throw a blur mask over it to hide some scars, or whatever. I could dodge and burn to do whatever. I can accentuate colors. etc etc

My rule of thumb, if i can be done by a normal photographer in a darkroom (not someone who is as good in the darkroom as with photoshop, i know they are out there), then i will do it if i feel it is truely needed. there have been a few landscapes where i push the green up a little bit, or reds, or whatever. but i dont do drastic changes ever. i dont clone things out, i dont cover things up.
              Disclaimer:
              I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                Dane and FreshLikeSushi, you guys must love each other, jesus...
                we have known each other on zilvia and wherever for a WHILE
                Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeSushi View Post
                  My philosiphy is this
                  I am here to photograph a person, not an ideal. If they want better skin, work at it. better hair? work at it. I like to caputre the individual as who they are at THAT instant. the looks, emotions, whatever it is that is making me want to take that picture when i push the shutter button. Imperfections give definition to the photo. Freckles, pimples, scars whatever. its the person, not an ideal of beauty or perfection that i am capturing. BUT, if they have great skin, i have small stuff i do while i shoot with lights to make it look even better. same with hair, eyes, whatever. I can hide imperfections in some cases if they are really self concious about it with the way light falls like shadows, or accents to distract it.
                  I pride myself on getting it as close to the picture i see through the viewfinder, when i take the picture. It sickens me when i shoot with friends for fun and they say, " Ill just fix that in photoshop". I am a photographer (and now videographer), not a digital artist. I do the best i possibly can to put out a picture i am proud of, and dont mind showing out of the camera.

are there things i could do? yeah. i could throw a blur mask over it to hide some scars, or whatever. I could dodge and burn to do whatever. I can accentuate colors. etc etc

My rule of thumb, if i can be done by a normal photographer in a darkroom (not someone who is as good in the darkroom as with photoshop, i know they are out there), then i will do it if i feel it is truely needed. there have been a few landscapes where i push the green up a little bit, or reds, or whatever. but i dont do drastic changes ever. i dont clone things out, i dont cover things up.
                  That's a great way to do it too, but for me personally, if I take a shot that is otherwise good but has some pesky power lines running across it or has a bit of light in the background that is too distracting, I don't have any problem cloning it out to strengthen the picture. I don't ever do anything major either though. Some shots barely have anything done to them, and some shots get a lot of work to achieve a certain mood, it just depends on the location.

I also don't do any portraiture photography and as of now I only use natural lighting, so I just have to use what I have to be the best of my abilities, and that includes post work
                  Jason
                  flickr
                  build thread

Comment

all that matters is that you do what you love. I just mess with people cause its fun. Im sue you get out ant take photos MUCH more than i do. I do it so much for work, i dont do it for fun that much anymore.

Getting out and taking the photos is what really matters.
                    Disclaimer:

Comment

on buying used gear:

my D300, used.
                      battery grip: new.
                      batteries: new
                      cards: new
                      Nikon 17-55 f/2.8: used
                      Nikon 50 f/1.8: used (had two, sold the never been used one to a friend)
                      Nikon 80-200: used
                      Speedlights: Bought my SB-900 new because I had to have it that weekend. I'm buying more used, ASAP.

By buying used, I've saved enough to buy another body. Or, looking at it the other way, if I had bought everything new, then I'd only have half of it.
                      I like to modify things.
                      flickr
                      Inyo Photo
                      -Chad

Comment

I'm gonna go for a Nikon D5000 when I get the chance.

Bout $700 to $900. Capable of HD video too, rotatable display for crowd shots. I got to play with one, its friggin awesome.

I currently use a D40X, but they don't make those anymore.

Comment

Working...
                        X