My ED6... weekend racer on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EF303 View Post
    2)Micah, what does the Japanese script on yours say? I've always wondered since I saw that post but never thought to ask for some reason.
    Same here?? looks cool though
    Hi, I'm Chris and i drive a Miata
    ASS & KITTIES

Comment

• if you still want your fenders rolled and pulled, let me know. we have access to an eastwood roller out at our shop, and ill be there this sunday. message me on fb and ill give you directions. then you can come out and hang with all the volkswagens and (singular) mercedes. plus ill get the ride in your car i want.
      Balls Deep Squad.

Comment

• Originally posted by EF303 View Post
        Oh man that totally reminds me:

1) both your bays are sweet, and I dig the rising sun valve covers. Wanna do that to my gas door.

2)Micah, what does the Japanese script on yours say? I've always wondered since I saw that post but never thought to ask for some reason.
        Do it! That'd look pretty sick. Very reminiscent of the old Kanjo racers.

It says, "Race to win"........according to Google translate. It could actually say "cats poop homework" for all I know.

Originally posted by w201e34 View Post
        if you still want your fenders rolled and pulled, let me know. we have access to an eastwood roller out at our shop, and ill be there this sunday. message me on fb and ill give you directions. then you can come out and hang with all the volkswagens and (singular) mercedes. plus ill get the ride in your car i want.
        DUDE. I wish you would have told me sooner! I just bought an Eastwood fender roller like 4 days ago. I was also out of town basically all weekend except for a couple hours ago in which I did this update. But thanks so much, man. I'll try to come down sometime though.

Okay so I have had this crappy, disgusting, cyst of a rust spot on my car since I was 15 and about the only thing I ever did about it was halfway weld in a piece of scrap metal and throw paint on it until I could get to it later. 5 YEARS later I'm getting to it.

I ordered a new panel online because I'm a perfectionist and could never make the part I needed AND meet my standards.

Then I got to work by first taking of the rear bumper.

Here's the rust I'm talking about... there's some tiger hair mixed in there too.

Cut that thang OUT.

Next I grabbed a couple pieces from my new panel that I wasn't going to need and shaped them to the inner fender.

This next bit took for freaking ever. I had to get the piece from the new panel to the exact shape of the old one. But whatevs. Got it good enough for me.

Then to weld it in yo.

You obviously can't see from these pictures, but the inner fender is also welded to the outer so that nothing (water) can get inside.

Smoothed everything out.

Then I threw some paint on it to stop it from rusting and grabbed my new fender roller. I figured I'd test out my skeelz on a fender that I'm going to repaint anyways.

I got the paint hot to the touch (as per the advice of andybob) and had at it. I think it turned out pretty great for a first time! No cracks or anything. This roller is so rad. (Yes, I wish I would have used flat paint.)

And that's all for now, folks! I'm going to take it to a real paint shop and pay someone to blend the paint because that is WAY outside of my talent.
        Have a fabulous night, everybody.

edit: I'd also like to mention that yes, filler work will be done on that panel. It won't stay like that, that's gross. But I'm going to order my spacers and pull the fender first as to not crack any filler.
        Last edited by M.Doban; 06-02-2013, 10:36 PM.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

• this things been 'lookin real nice, and its only gotten better too! your lucky to have a father that gets to teach you and show you how every thing goes and works, and glad you took advantage of that. I love how low this thing is to the ground, and yet still killing it in drags... real sick car dude!

BENZWGN Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary631
            MOOG parts are here as well as the control arm bushings! Pics will be up soon! I'm so excited...

Oakley Sunglasses

A wild spammer appears.

Going at it man! Looks so good, and nice job on the roller

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

• So happy I haven't dealt with rust yet. Keep up the great work man!
              1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
              1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

• Great build. You should get this thing on a road course and fall in love all over again haha.
                Last edited by that911; 06-03-2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• Well something isn't letting me quote right now and I don't know why so I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

Kinghorn: Thanks a bunch, man! Yep, it's a real blessing having someone like that teach you everything you know. This car would just be an old, bone stock Honda with a fart can that was rotting away without him being there.

Funfgang: THANKS YO. I almost typed "if you want we can mess with your fenders" and then it hit me and I cried.
                  And what that spammer doesn't know is that I DESPISE OAKLEYS. hee hee

Randomofodication: Be VERY happy. Seriously. Spend about twenty minutes every morning giving thanks to the rust gods for not cursing you.
                  Thanks very much!

that911: Thanks! And gosh, I would love to. And actually as of now my "summer project" is replacing every bushing in the car and getting real suspension so I CAN take it out on the track. We live right near Pittsburgh Motorsport Complex (formerly Beaver Run). I can't wait to hit the track later this summer! I'll probably be asking you suspension questions as well when the time comes.

Alright, so sort of an update. I just ordered 1" spacers for all corners and a rear camber kit. The next update will come as soon as they get here. Expect to see some mad fitment yo.

Builds:

Comment

• Lookin good bud! Keep it going
                    Insta: @pantiesmores

Build: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...hlight=versace

Comment

• Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                      Alright, so sort of an update. I just ordered 1" spacers for all corners and a rear camber kit. The next update will come as soon as they get here. Expect to see some mad fitment yo.
                      Dang son, didn't know this car could handle that much springlesprangle!
                      1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
                      1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

• Fantastic fab work as always bud, that rear quarter looks awesome. I actually have to do the exact same thing with my own rear quarter (same side, same place) and I'll be getting a new one to patch in :P it's almost like we got a connection.

Can't wait for your next update.

LOW & SLOW ED7 DAILY DRIVER BUILD

Comment

• Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
                          Mirrors are cool. I can never understand their magic.

Yours is sick though! And may I ask how you kept it white? It's so minty. Is it powdercoated?

It annoys me when people either have like 5 rays (I counted the proper amount on a real flag; looks like you did too) or they are crooked as POOP.

You did a really nice job on yours, dude. Props! Can't wait to see it in real life.

Freaking clean bay too!
                          YES, exactly! no one can seem to count, or grasp the concept that they're super easy to replicate. I actually used a picture of the actual flag as a masking guideline. Pro tip- computer paper sucks as a mask. Mine is actually spray painted, but I used two coats of high temp primer, three coats of high temp white, and finished it with two coats of the red on top of the white. I don't use it anymore, and it yellowed a tiny bit over time. Now I have the flip-flop purple/polished one. Thanks for the kind words.

Your rust repair looks like it's gone smoothly, albeit the giant pain the ass that it is. Keep it up!
                          BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                          Originally posted by Ollie
                          We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• I still can't quote or use the "advanced" reply. This is pretty lame. I tried a different browser too. Any ideas, gents?

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! The body work did go surprisingly smoothly... which never happens.

EF303: Thanks so much dude! Oh, and I got my patch panel from fixmyrust.com and I will get everything from them from now on. Perfect fitment, inexpensive, and fast shipping.

Randomofodication: : We will see... we will see.

MommysLittleMonster: (gosh you guys have such long usernames) Ahh, I feel ya. Oh well. Yeah, mines spray painted too. Twinning. Thanks for the kind words as well, my friend.

UPDATE TIME.

I actually did something cool to my car. It's been a while.

I got some springlespranglers (1 inch to be exactomundo)

This is full droop in the rear.

So I got out my trust roller and heat gun and had at it. Originally I had planned to pull the rears and adjust the camber to get the fitment where I wanted (and to correct the camber because the driver's rear has more camber...???). BUT I MADE A MISTAKE YO. I bought ebay crap. Again.

I was winding in the adjuster and it just stopped suddenly. So I tried to back out the side that had stuck and it wouldn't back out either. After much hassle and all sorts of shenanigans that included the weight of my dad standing on a crescent wrench, it broke. I guess it's good that it broke here and I didn't have it on my car. UGH. Whatever. Just don't buy any ebay garbage okay? That includes me.... maybe I'll listen to myself from now on.

Moving on....

These are all pictures I took with my point and shoot. As you can tell, I cannot photography. Someone come take pictures of my car.

I still need to mess with the camber on this next one. With the factory arms I can get less camber, just not more.

It looks freaking boss. I'm going to do some finishing touches tomorrow but I'm so bleeding happy about this right now. I'll throw the bumper on tomorrow too and grab some pics outside (it's pouring here right now).

Hope you have all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. PEACE
                            Last edited by M.Doban; 02-20-2014, 09:21 AM.

Builds:

Comment

• Micah, I **** to say this, it just has too much poke/ negative springsprangle for me

Hopefully some more wizzlewazzle will help.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

• I like it. springlesprangles get my thumbs up.
                                I assume it's rubbing like nothing else now though.
                                Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                                You're the worst everything everywhere

Comment

Working...
                                X