My ED6... weekend racer on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ED6... weekend racer on a budget

Hey, guys! My name’s Micah. I’ve been lurking here a while, but never posted anything. So I guess this will be my intro thread and my build thread/log.

It's a long first post but you'll be super happy if you stick it out.

So when I was 15 I picked this little beauty up for the labor equivalent of $125. A 1991 Civic DX Auto. It was my second car so I had a little bit of experience under my belt, but not much (I sold the first one for profit to buy this one and cool parts and whatnot).

The car was bone stock except for these gross frog seat covers and steering wheel cover. Took those off. I then bought an Integra LS with the rest of my money. Motor was supposedly built. It wasn’t. We all know how that story goes. Didn’t get any money back. The guy must’ve thought he was pretty boss to rip off a 15 year old kid. Whatever, it’s in the past now.
    Here’s the Integra.

Took out both motors and swapped the B18 into the EF. Also swapped it to a 5-speed. Of course.

My young self thought I was so mAd JdM TyTe and took some full lock pictures.
    Just look at that fitment.

Grass pictures… thought my car was low. You can see the quarter panels in these pictures. They were somewhat rusted so I cut out the rust to keep it from spreading until I had time to work on it. It has a California plate on it. That’s because I was still 15 and couldn’t drive the car on the road so I slapped on my dad’s old plate.

Finally did the body work. Being 16 now, I didn’t have the money to buy replacement quarters (although now I dearly wish I had). Instead I used sheet metal from an old filing cabinet. It looked pretty great from far off but up close… not as nice as I'd like.

Made up a turbo kit for the stock LS motor. Ebay turbo, custom log manifold, Srt-4 intercooler. It was pretty quick I suppose.

Fabbed up a VR-6 air dam on the car. I was pretty proud of myself for finding out it fit. Then I found the EF picture thread on Honda-tech and found out everyone else had already been doing it.

Then I wanted more power. I hadn’t really cared about stance (or even knew what it was) at this point. I think I was almost 17 now.

Wiseco pistons, Eagle rods, ARP mains, head studs, and rod bolts. Assembled at home with the help of my dad (he has also been a MASSIVE help this whole time. Thank’s dad!)

Put like 7 hours into the valve cover.

After winter, I then proceeded to take out the perfectly good running motor.

Not in these pictures (because I have tunnel vision and don’t often stop to take pics) are the traction bar I made, the modifications to the turbo manifold to fit in the EF and the intercooler piping. I love EF’s but oh my gosh… EVERYTHING has to be custom. Well, the traction bar didn’t have to be but I’m a cheap skate.

First race on the new setup. It did alright but I kept blowing my wee little 2.5 inch exhaust off. Also, we noticed on the dyno that the GSR intake manifold was holding the car back. There was no change in power from 15 psi to 23psi (turbo was certainly big enough).

Got an Edelbrock Vixtor X manifold. THIS WAS THE BEST MOD I’VE EVER DONE
    Night and day difference. It was phenomenal.

Next up? Turbo wasn’t big enough. Got a Holset HX-35/40 hybrid. It has the 9cm exhaust housing of the 35 and the compressor of a 40 (also a seven blade wheel). (Left)

Size comparison with a Honda ECU

I wanted to see what the car would do in the quarter. My dad told me he wouldn’t let me do a full pass without a roll bar in the car (understandable). So I put in a roll bar. I also designed my own removable door bars because, again, I was too cheap to buy the ones I liked (Summit’s are gross looking).

I then saved up my money for some wheels. I had now grown to **** the ricery, black, 17’s on the car. You may also notice in some of these pictures the color of my brake drums and calipers. Yes, I thought it looked “JDM” and cool. One day I came around and painted them black. It was a good day.

While I was saving up I researched what wheels and tires I wanted. I was thinking some gold drag DR-20’s and tires… tires? They were all the same right? They didn’t matter.
    Then I found this site. Thank you, Lord. I immediately became fascinated with getting my car as low to the ground as possible. I also realized that tire sizes were VERY important.
    But I couldn’t afford a set of Panasports in the offset I wanted. Or find them. I could forget about any SSR MKII’s or MKIII’s with adapters. They were too expensive. In the end I bought Panasport knockoff’s. Whatever, they’re still wheels right? My priorities are still racing and that’s where my money went.
    It took me forever to decide what width and offset I should get. It was worth it. In the end I chose 15x7 et30 with 195/50's. I absolutely love how they look.

It was still pretty high, but I thought it was slammed as can be.
    Later down the road I tucked up my downpipe more and lowered the car as much as I dared.
    Later I then tucked the downpipe even more. I also went as low as I dared.

This continued over time and probably still will. Here’s the car as it sits now. I can’t really tuck the 3” downpipe much more. It’s self ovalizing right now so maybe in a year or so I can lower the car more. Here is the car as of yesterday.

Also, I just got myself a mahogany wheel and quick release. I love how it looks! But I’m never dealing with Grant again.

I'm now 19 and there are still many things I'd like to do to the car.
    Well, I hope you guys enjoyed the read! Any advice, tips, or dislike, post them here!
    Last edited by M.Doban; 04-08-2015, 08:53 AM.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Holy cow. From one "youngin" to another, awesome work man
    Last edited by FunfGang; 01-23-2013, 08:19 PM.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

love the progress, any videos on the track? also what kind of power is it putting down? keep up the good work, would love to see some race seats in there
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
        Holy shit. From one "youngin" to another, awesome work man
        Haha! Thank's, man!

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
        love the progress, any videos on the track? also what kind of power is it putting down? keep up the good work, would love to see some race seats in there
        Yeah, sure, I've got some. I hope they work.
        Last time I was on the dyno my clutch was slipping at 7,500 rpm so I don't have any power numbers. I fixed the slipping and my AFR's were great all the way to 9,000 so I never put it back on the dyno.

I had some shifting issues that night (also my first night ever at a full track). The last video is my best pass so far. I have a LOT of work to do on getting my 60 foots down. They should be in the 1.70's or 1.60's. Then the car will be deep in the 11's.

Best pass
        Last edited by M.Doban; 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM.

Builds:

Comment

Grant GT steering wheel, oh my god that brings back memories.

Comment

Im impressed by your Skills at that age its really awesome

Comment

whats the roll cage made from ? Please dont tell me its exhaust tubing.
              C280 Build Thread
              C43 ///AMG Build Thread
              E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax View Post
                Im impressed by your Skills at that age its really awesome
                Thank's very much!

Originally posted by SD202 View Post
                whats the roll cage made from ? Please dont tell me its exhaust tubing.
                roll bar*

It's mild steel...

Builds:

Comment

Found this picture on Facebook the other day. I remember this guy taking photos of my car at a local meet but haven't been able to get the rest.

Also, something I forgot to mention, the car was in full street trim for those passes at the track. No slicks, full interior. It's a street car and always will be.

Right now I'm planning on converting to E85 and turning the boost up.
                  I'm also planning a winter project. How's an AWD EF sound?
                  ...because I **** FWD

Builds:

Comment

Originally posted by M.Doban View Post

Right now I'm planning on converting to E85 and turning the boost up.
                    I'm also planning a winter project. How's an AWD EF sound?
                    ...because I **** FWD
                    You just got cooler

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

This car is just... awesome. A car with ass to back up the way it looks. An 11-second pass is no joke, you've made yourself one hell of a nice car. I wish I had started building Hondas when I was younger.

Keep up the great work, you're a shining example of what more people need to follow.
                      BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                      Originally posted by Ollie
                      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

This car is just... awesome. A car with ass to back up the way it looks. An 11-second pass is no joke, you've made yourself one hell of a nice car. I wish I had started building Hondas when I was younger.

Keep up the great work, you're a shining example of what more people need to follow.
                        Wow, thanks a lot! I really, really appreciate that! It wasn't an easy road. Many hours of fabrication. It was worth it. I learned a LOT too. Thanks again, man.

ps. Your Prelude looks so nasty! Love it. I used to have a '91 Prelude Si. Different gen, but still a Prelude. Great cars!

On another non-car note, I finally got strings on my cigar box ukelele today! Just need to make my fret board. It sounds so awesome though.

Last edited by M.Doban; 11-24-2012, 08:54 PM.

Builds:

Comment

Well I just made a big purchase so a picture update will be coming!
                          I bought MOOG upper control arms, MOOG lower ball joints, and Energy Suspension front lower control arm bushings. I'm still on the hunt for some quality heim joints for my traction bars (mine have gotten all sloppy). Hopefully this will make my front end tight again. Right now it's all over the road and every ball joint has play in it :/

Builds:

Comment

MOOG parts are here as well as the control arm bushings! Pics will be up soon! I'm so excited...

Builds:

Comment

Love the ukelele. Oh and the EF, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X