'73 mercedes 280, gas, blue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '73 mercedes 280, gas, blue.

After what seems like forever, I finally got around to taking some pictures of my car. Just for a little background: I got the car almost a year ago now and wanted to bag it and then more important things came up and the car was put in storage while me and my wife were looking for a place to start a family. Now that we are mostly situated I got a chance to put the benz on the front burner for a little bit.

new garage:

car today:

The front upper bag cup is roughly an inch or two too long and needs to be reworked; at that point the front will be able to come down more. I did the rear brackets first so as soon as it was all together I realized the front didn’t sit low enough but I didn’t want to take it back apart I wanted to drive it.

This is where I implode my own build thread, because this car doesn’t need to be on air, I just don’t like driving lowered cars anymore. Personally it’s hell, I like to go places, I live on the east coast and the roads are bad. My wife has been on several long car rides in previously owned static cars both coil overs and cut springs and those rides were hell too. I’m over it, it’s a young mans game. Like I would recommend just cutting the springs pretty much in half cause there long as fuck and this car has more suspension travel then a baja truck. But I love the way the car looks lowered, it transforms from a Turkish taxi into a vintage European sports sedan.

Like this car right here is a dream car for sure, but back in ’09ish I saw a build thread on vortex about an old benz from Canada on air ride and was like why the fuck would I bag a new gti that every asshole already owns when I can be driving one of these bad boys.
    Insert picture of old gti:

After the lease ended on my gti and I came up with the cash I got the benz.

Oh yeah. It was glorious I felt like Bruce Springsteen and somehow even more American, despite looking like a douche bag hipster with a poorly running, shitty old car.

Wax, and polish, and repeat.

happy car, old garage:

I wanted a w114 I wasn’t going to get a w115 because I wasn’t a fan of the us mandated parts, there existence disappointed me and so the steering wheel got swapped out for this one right away, I got it off ebay, horn button was destroyed so glassed the horn button and then wrapped in suede, (the necker knob was just added a few weeks ago)

The bag set up I mostly got from kevin@aac, the guy who received a lot of the credit for the other bagged w114/5 in North America, he was super helpful, I come across as a weirdo and he’s in Canada so there was some confusion at first but it wouldn’t have turned out like it did if it was for his knowledge and input. It’s re-6 bags all around, 3/8” line autopilot v2, air zenith ob2 and a seven gallon tank.

Then added single round crosshairs off a mk2 Volkswagen, the sealed beams were piss poor to say the least, there’s nothing boss about getting into your car at 2am and having 15w headlights if you know what I mean. Currently stock h4 bulb but I always wanted to run a French h4 bulb since my mk3 days, but never had the balls to have yellow headlights in the past. Yeah and the grille I did in black I’ve seen it on other mercs and it looks so good had to do it. Got new bars from w114solo, dudes in turkey and the parts are turkey quality but it’s better then nothing. I highly recommend him when it comes to small trim pieces.

The future includes a new exhaust system, wheels, and reworking the god damn front suspension.
    Last edited by bobbyjones; 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM.

build thread?

Awesome, Joe..! We gotta shoot our bagged classics together sometime.
    Ryan | flickr

Comment

I have been waiting for this to happen. Looks really good man.

Comment

love it so far man !
        C280 Build Thread
        C43 ///AMG Build Thread
        E320 Wagon Build Thread

Follow me on Instagram:@SD_210

Comment

exexcellent, love this shit

Comment

That really does look like a nice Mercedes. It seems sticking bags on one of these will always make a very pleasing car to the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
              Awesome, Joe..! We gotta shoot our bagged classics together sometime.
              Totally just let me know when and thanks guys for the love.
              Otherwise, not much to report. I did rework one of the front upper bag brackets, so much happier with how the front sits now. I would have took pictures, but I forget to stop and take pictures.

Maybe tomorrow I'll take care of the other side and get it out of the garage.

And our rose bush helped turn a rubbed threw bag into a vase.

build thread?

Comment

Awesome purely awesome
                Follow on IG
                amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                Vintage AME Wheels
                RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                W115 & W123

Comment

this is great, nice to see more of these old benz's getting the treatment

Comment

I love this. I'm really liking the idea of bags more and more.
                    IG: ashtonlafleur

Comment

loving the color
                      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                        I love this. I'm really liking the idea of bags more and more.
                        if you do decide to go with bags, i have some recomendations and would be more then willing to help out with pictures and mesurements of anything you need.

if it stops raining today i will get a few pictures of the car up tonight with the front end all worked out. it was cruising on the parkway last night at 80 without a single issue, loving it.

build thread?

Comment

I'd love some advice. Are you running a shock in the rear? Or just the bags?

Comment

Originally posted by aLaFleur View Post
                            I'd love some advice. Are you running a shock in the rear? Or just the bags?
                            do not run with no shocks, i did up front for a while and it sucked big time. bouncy as hell, unweidly on the freeway and kinda scary im running the stock bilsteins on all 4 corners with air on my '68 and its perfect. you can pick them up for $60 a piece online for legit bilsteins

Comment

Yea I'm definitely running them up front. I'd like to see some rear set ups though. How did you go about mounting yours? I'm feeling like i'll probably just make an upper mount off of the top spring mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X