Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo E28 build V2

Original turbo setup.

I posted a build thread on here a while ago from when i first boosted my E28. It ran great for a year on a stock 745i turbo/manifold with a stock Motronic DME with a TCD timing chip and begi FMU. I was playing around on the highway a month ago and lifted the head due to the stock head bolts. When i pulled the upper timing cover off i saw the timing chain guides in pretty bad shape so i decided to pull the motor and do a rebuild.

I dont have any pics from when i tore it down, but here is a shot of the bottom end all cleaned up awaiting the ARP head studs and cometic MLS head gasket

I sent the head to the machine shop and had it refreshed. New valve guide seals, lashed the valves, and had it decked and polished for the MLS gasket.

I decided i was bored with the stock 745i turbo. So my buddy andrew sold me his upgraded 745i turbo that uses a 60mm garret wheel. Here is a pic of the turbo's side by side.

I also decided i needed a standalone. TCD and PF tuning to the rescue on a plug and play MS2 extra setup!

Here is a shot of the motor back together and on the engine stand.

And finally in the car!

A overall shot of the front end and running!

It runs sooooo much better on the MS2 setup! Right now im tuned at 8psi but will crank the boost up to 15psi this weekend when i have time to tune. I'm hoping for 360-380 rwhp and 400-420rwtq! Here is a run down on my setup.

MS2 extra with boost control
    upgraded K27 turbo
    745i manifold
    Tial MVS wastegate
    Tial BOV
    custom TCD W/A intercooler with massive heat exchangers
    3" exhaust
    TCD 6 puck clutch
    ARP head studs
    cometic MLS head gasket
    47lb injectors
    TCD valve cover

And here is a shot of the whole car

Yes.
    This is awesome.
    Christof Goulart
    FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

this is insane!

Comment

Awesome. Valve cover is nice.

I like the murdered look as well.

Comment

that's a pretty serious look! You probably had it in your original build, but how hard was it to source the 745i manifold?
          Are you going to do E85 in the near future?

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

I'm a BMW tech. I got the turbo and manifold from my old boss from when i worked at a bmw indy shop. He was going to use it on a race car but it wound up sitting around the shop for years. I see them pop up for sale on a pretty regular basis though.

No plans for E85. It's not easy to get where i live.

Comment

wow, this is awesome. burnout video perhaps?
              Originally posted by Jesus Christ
              the VW community is weird. dont try to understand, its like understanding africa.
              Instagram: bigslowchevy

Comment

Hot BALLS!

Subscribed.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll get some vids up once its completely tuned. It's pretty damn quick at 8psi right now. Feel's just as fast as it did on 14psi before. It made 270rwhp and 350 rwtq non intercooled on the old setup

Comment

Went out tuning last night and got it dialed in pretty well at 8psi. Tonight im going back out and will hopefully be at 15psi when its done. 8psi on this setup feels stronger than it did before at 14psi. Once i get a good street tune on it i will head over to the dyno within the next few weeks. I plan on adding some timing back into it on the dyno. My current timing map is a little conservative to keep it safe.

I was also very impressed with my intercooler setup. When we first started tuning it was around 94F outside. IAT's were between 105F-100F during my pulls on the highway. I dont even want to imagine what they were before with no intercooler (i did have water injection at 14psi.)

Comment

fabelous!
                      sigpic

Comment

Small update! Did some tuning on Friday. Boost is at 13psi and this thing pulls hard! New suspension and skid plate will be installed hopefully this week. Will post updated pics soon!

Comment

This is so sick. Can't wait for the dyno results! When do we get a video?

Comment

VVvvvvideoooo!
                            Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

Sorry guys! No vids yet. I did install my new OEM skid plate today though

Installed

Ground clearance

Comment

Working...
                              X