Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC coilovers - correct rear adjusment procedure ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC coilovers - correct rear adjusment procedure ?

Hello all

Yesterday, i installed BC coilovers. I fully understand how to adjust front, how to adjust spring preload but im worried from REAR. I have several questions.

This is, how rear spring + accessories looks :

My questions :

1. Black part with spring perches - where i should put this ?
    Bottom or on top of spring ? Actually, i put it to bottom because of easier access.

2.As i said, i placed it on bottom of spring. I screwed both perches totally down - about 1,5cm down(like on image)

3. When the spring was screwed down, i screwed shock too, same, 1,5cm down. (i loosen bottom perch, measured 1,5cm and screwed shock body till it touiches the ring. Then i tightened ring)

4. Manual is saying, that i have to lower spring and shock together. Does it mean that i have to lower both (spring + shock) always in same size ?
    For example, if i lower spring 2,5cm down, i have to make 2,5cm for shock?

5. As far as i know, front springs have some preload on spring. Front spring is linear.
    But what about rear spring ? I understand, that rear spring dont have any preload because car is "sitting" on spring and screwing collars up or down will only change car`s height. Im right?

6. Lower shock body i can lowe only 1,3cm down ? Any ideas why i cant go lower ?

7. Last question is very amazing. When i installed rear, i lowered both springs to maximum (both collars screwed to bottom of that black threaded tube). But i forgot to measuer, how low it was = i dont know what was default height/distance between bottom part of threaded black tube and bottom ring.

How to find out, how low i have to screw shock body ? I want to be sure that both (spring and shock) are low in same height. Now im confused. I lowered both shocks about 1,2cm down but im not sure if this is correct. I`d like to go back to STOCK setting and make lowering again but problem is that i didnt measured it before installation. Im worried mostly about shock height because it dont have any marks. Its moving on thread but there is no "default position". I would like to return shock`s position to default and screw it down in same size as spring were screwed.

Here is Manual 1 and 2

Thank you for replies and sorry for my bad english.

wow, youre way over thinking this!

answer to all of your questions just install it already! dont worry about the shock height! all that does is make it so your have more or less negative travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultz28 View Post
      wow, youre way over thinking this!

answer to all of your questions just install it already! dont worry about the shock height! all that does is make it so your have more or less negative travel.
      plz post pictures of it all the way down.

Comment

Bolt the shock in at the top, put the spring in without the adjuster, jack the control arm up until the spring is just captive and adjust the shock for that height

Comment

ok i did some work today. i probably understand, how to make rear correctly.

is this correct way ? i have BMW E46

-----

You use the spring perch to adjust the height, then follow-up with the strut by either:

a) With minimal load on the spring bucket (i.e. jack it up just enough to keep the spring taut), match the holes up between the bucket and the bottom strut mount holes - this is zero pre-load
          b) If you want to pre-load the springs, jack the bucket further (mine is by 5mm, or roughly half the hole is now covered up by nature of the bucket being higher than the strut). Then, shorten the strut assembly by the same amount until you match the holes up again.

-----

Problem is, that when i jack car up, arm is pushing pressure on spring because i dont wanna go very low so im using all 2 perches with that black threaded tube and + I did REUSED bottom rubber pad (original BMW).

So now, i have to use jack and put arm DOWN till spring is free in place, and then lil bit up again till spring is just sitting there and there is no pressure on it ? And after that, i have to screw strut to match holes ? Is this correct ?

If yes, im lil bit worried because when i jack arm down to free spring, i`ll need to screw struts down by few centimeters hmmm. Buts its logical way...pls some opinions.

Comment

Its best NOT to mess with the adjustments out of the box. Just toss it on, and see where it is
            Of course you can measure them and insure they are the same fronts and backs.

I had to rip/pry the OEM springs out...
            front is easy
            rear was a PIA

Comment

huh ? fronts are easy to adjust, but rear have separate spring with perches and height adjustable strut. There is a must to adjust both if u want drop.

Comment

Comment

pics are in 1st post (links)

Comment

Pics of car slammed, want to see how low you can put the bc. Is it "massive drop" kit or normal?

Comment

with shorter endlings on front you can slam it to the ground

i love the ride, its smooth because doesnt matter how low you are, shocks are still having full travel

Comment

Post pics of the car.

Comment

what spring rates did you go with ?

Comment

dani lets see pictures of your e30!

Comment

http://www.garaget.org/?car=139549

Comment

Working...
                              X