1962 f-100 unibuddy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 f-100 unibuddy.

i've been wondering and maybe someone here can help me answer this question but,
    how low can i go with my 1962 f-100 without it being completely undriveable?
    and without putting air suspension on it, i want to try to keep it static.

has anybody here done anything like that with a car/truck such as mine?

i've already messed with my front leaf springs a bit to lower the front end about 3 or 4 inches.
    i took the first two leafs out of my front leaf springs to do that.

i know that i can flip the axle (it is currently mounted on top of the springs)

but is there any other ways?
    please and thank you.
    :}
    balls&wienerz

Best bet wouldve been to do an axle flip (more commonly known as an SUA or spring under axle setup). Removing leafs will compromise ride quality and stability but thats completely up to you obviously.

Leaf spring swaps are also quite easy and I'm sure you can adapt some leafs from another vehicle that will lower your ride height.

Last, you could fab up some blocks if you go SUA. Just like many lift kits use blocks to raise a truck with an SOA setup, you can use blocks between the axle and leave spring to lower an SUA setup.
    Panscraping and Skyscraping
    1989 MK1 Wolfsburg Cabby--Dropped
    1988 Jeep YJ--Lifted w/ Small Block Chevy+goodies
    sigpic

Comment

the answer is not very low
      I assume you have a solid front axle up front so you can only go so low before it makes contact with the engine or crossmember

if the axle is on top of the springs than doing an axle flip would lift it not lower it, you could get lowering blocks though

if you want to go really low you're going to have to swap out the front clip for something else like a mustang

Comment

Yo are correct. I read Incorrectly. I thought he said he had a spring over setup. So in his case flipping the axle will be the exact opposite of what he wants. Lowering blocks will help but lots of frame work and driveline modification will be necessary to lower it drastically. Simple lifted motor mounts will help but to achieve a really low ride height will require more than that and will likely change driveline angles too much. So that will need addressed too.

Bottom line: get out your welder and have fun
        Panscraping and Skyscraping
        1989 MK1 Wolfsburg Cabby--Dropped
        1988 Jeep YJ--Lifted w/ Small Block Chevy+goodies
        sigpic

Comment

sorry i said that wrong my axle is below my spring. i've looked into sua before and i think i will do that in the future once i'm out of school. i haven't really had alot of time to mess with it being a high school student and having a pretty busy part time job.

i've never heard of any leaf spring swaps before, anyone have any forums or articles about them i could look up?

i know that my ride quality is gonna be shittier with the removed leaf springs. but i've heard that if i remove like the bottom two or three and then bolt them to the top, just rearranging the order of the springs themselves will lower it and keep some of the ride quality, is that true? or does anyone know?
          balls&wienerz

Comment

That's an old hot rod trick that does somewhat work, but the spring packs aren't really that thick, you'd get probably less than an inch of lowering from that.

I know a guy in Murray/Midvale you could talk to about some frame and suspension mods to your truck, he is in pretty good with some of the Severed Ties truck crew, and has the tools and know-how to bag just about anything - but I'm very sure he'd be willing to attack a static-dropped truck project.

I'd like to see some pics of this truck.
            - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

or really? thats awesome!

i haven't got many pictures of it, but i'll try to get some up here in the next couple of days.
              balls&wienerz

Comment

Working...
              X