No announcement yet.

cutting springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if he's not driving like a maniac, and being responsible he'll be fine, theres just as much risk rollin on stretched tires, or with a car stanced to were it rubs tire really badly, he just has to take into acount that he needs to avoid pot holes and drop offs or hitting big bumps, when we do stuff to our cars the not so proper way we just need to be more weary and careful/responsible about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scopy View Post
      if he's not driving like a maniac, and being responsible he'll be fine, theres just as much risk rollin on stretched tires, or with a car stanced to were it rubs tire really badly, he just has to take into acount that he needs to avoid pot holes and drop offs or hitting big bumps, when we do stuff to our cars the not so proper way we just need to be more weary and careful/responsible about it.
      Yeah but if a thread has to be made about this, I'd say he isn't very aware of anything

Originally posted by Adam. View Post
      ^^^ This guy.
      Originally posted by Funtington View Post
      Truth.
      Maybe it was a childish way to go about it but I just found it funny that someone would pay to get their springs reset 50mm lower when you could cut a coil for the exact same outcome, safety/height/ride wise... Don't take it to heart

Comment

Originally posted by FittedDownLow View Post
        ^^^^ hahahah this is too good, ox btw what suspension are you on?
        Was on BC's, untill I went air, but soon to be back on the bc's...
        Originally posted by anth
        Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
          Yeah but if a thread has to be made about this, I'd say he isn't very aware of anything

Maybe it was a childish way to go about it but I just found it funny that someone would pay to get their springs reset 50mm lower when you could cut a coil for the exact same outcome, safety/height/ride wise... Don't take it to heart

Its all good
          Bone stock 2004 Audi A8

Comment

Like what everyone else is saying, just save for coils. I guess it's alright to do it for a temporary situation.
            I seriously considered doing this to my e30 cause I wanted a drop so bad, but I held back and just waited it out to get some coils. It was worth waiting in the end and when I put my coils in, I found out 2 of my shocks were already blown
            "Blessed are they, the lowly ones"

Comment

Cut springs aren't fun. If you're really concidering it my recommendation would be to save up for a little and get racelands or rokkors, people **** on them because they're cheap but my rokkors ride about a trillion times better than my fucking cut springs. Cut springs are laughably bouncy, there is a small bump in a section of road near my house that isn't even noticeable in any other vehicle that would make my car bounce for about a quarter mile down the road.
              IG/TWITTER @alloydhiggins

sigpic

Comment

I drove on cut springs for a year like this. Never had an issue. Just avoided stuff in the road, like everyone else driving low. Didn't ride great, but it wasnt unbearable.

Comment

I say don't do it if you're trying to SLAM it.
                  But if you just cut a few coils off and "lower" it.. the quality gets a little bit stiffer but comfortable.
                  But slamming it... It's like riding on a solid metal bar for a strut.
                  I've done it twice.
                  But never again will I do it.
                  My 2012 Fit sport build
                  My EF sedan build
                  LowMonroe:

Comment

If you want to put it on the ground cutting will not do it for you . The result will be laying on bumpstops and that gives a unsafe and bumpyride. Save money and drive safe.

Comment

Never once was mine resting on bump stops at all times, nor did it ever feel unsafe, even at 85mph+. See sig.

Comment

I cut my bumpstops down to half a bumpstop. Was still sitting on them :|

Comment

I've run 3 cars now on cut springs. So far so good. Is cut my old TE72 wagons front springs literally in half and never had an issue. My Volvo now on cut golf gti front springs and cut stock rears if ultra stiff. So it deffinetly varies from car to car.
                          Deathsquad mofo.

Comment

Im runnin my civic on coilovers wich iv chopped down by 4 full coils and is basicly runs on bump stops. It handles really nice wich i was suprised about, but my mate just chopped his standard coils on his mk3 golf and it bounces all over the gaf. i just fink it all depends on the car, some run fine chopped(bmw's?) and some struggle.
                            Have Faith, Roll Static...

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post

I wasn't talking about you when I said this guy, I was talking to the guy writing about how the stock springs can't take the weight

Comment

Quite simply, don't.

It's people who cut springs and install budget drops (eBay garbage) that necessitated strict laws on modifying cars because they were plain and simple dangerous. By saving a couple dollars, you risk totaling your car when (potentially) a spring comes loose or something vital fails and all control of the vehicle is lost. This not only endangers you but the drivers around you. Imagine swerving to avoid a child in the road only to find your car is on a dead skid towards said child.

Now I'm not telling you to not do it (I mean how could I ever enforce that) but I'd strongly advise against it if you value your car or the lives of the people around you. By saving up spare dollars on a regular basis, you could afford a decent set of coilovers and struts that you could be proud to tell everyone about and would offer honest handling gains.

I'd even go as far as saying invest in something as simple as namebrand coilovers (Skunk2, Megan Racing, Ground Control, Etc...) and throw them on your stock shocks. At the very least you will get the look you desire without nearly as much risk.

My brother ran a set of Skunk2 Coilover Sleeves on his Integra and drove that car very harshly for a few months without any noticeable problems. People may point to blown shocks as a problem but you would have that problem regardless with cutsprings.
                                Hold on, Not done accelerating

Comment

Working...
                                X