My E28 daily driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My E28 daily driver

Hello stanceworks, relatively new here. decided id start a build thread for my beloved e28. bought the car just over a year and a half ago, its a 1985 528e, leather swaped interior with at the time 333,xxxkm's. super clean body though and it drove great. some history on the car..

always been a german car guy growing up and was introduced to the e28 when i worked part time at my first job in a small shop when i was 15. a friend of a shop had just picked up a 528e from a junkyard for 400bucks, shot paint. tons of damage but it did drive (on deflated tires). anyway one day at work he comes by the shop to try and bang out one of the fenders. after hes done, he offers to take me for a spin in it to grab some coffees. twenty minutes later were blasting around in this thing and i had my first real experience in an older bmw, and i was hooked.

fast forward 4 years. i end buying my current e28 from that same shop. What i didnt know was this was the same junkyard e28 that got me hooked four years earlier. i failed to realize this was the same car because lots had been invested in this car by the previous owner. brand new paint everywhere, straight fenders and pretty much rust free.

anyway, enough with the stories. on with the pictures

first day

lol 4x4

lol talk about wheelgap, literally the first day i had it. drove it like this up until the last couple months. always wanted to lower it but never had the time or funds to do it, but it was still a blast to drive and got great gas mileage.

then i decided to start hacking up some springs, i guess thats where it started. cut 2 springs all around. drove pretty much stock, felt a bit sportier.

X2

didnt really take to many pictures, too cold out.

cut some more. 1 more up front, 1 1/2 in the rear. ended up blowing one of the front shocks.

Picture 526

Picture 522

Picture 534

decided to ditch the cut springs to start a budget coilover build, ended up getting a cheap set of coilover sleeves and springs. i only really wanted the sleeves but the springs are doing ok for now, too soft for my taste. but hey atleast its adjustable and the fronts have lots of travel.

current setup is
    6.5inch springs all around
    shortened housings 1.75"
    g60 rado shocks (too soft, 325ix billys next)
    stock bearing plates.
    stock rear billy hd's

^its a work in progress.

fronts before i shortened the strut tubes

Before shortening the strut.

Rears

How she currently sits. can still go quite a bit lower all around but my exhaust "was" getting in the way, i think it fixed itself a little bit though because it used to scrape everywhere

picture 567edit

picture 571

picture 559

picture 562

picture 563

fenders aren't rolled yet so i they rub a little on the inner lip during low speed maneuvers.

picture 573

I have some 15x7" weaves off an e30 m3 but there currently not clearing the front strut tubes. so ill have to find some wheels soon, can't stand the bottlecaps and baloon tires

I got my eye on these cheap gotti J55 reps i found for a couple hundred bucks. ill see if i can find a pic, there 15x7 et0. (only temporary)

Future plans
    - wheels and tires first (16's or 17's)
    - camber plates
    - head swap

thats the major stuff, still needs a little bit of body work here and there, the paint is starting to lift off the trunk (orig paint). thinking about trend-fucking the trunk and painting it chalkboard until i can afford a full respray.

anyway, weathers finally getting nicer up here in ontario so ill be posting more updates and more pictures soon, questions and comments always welcome, thanks for looking.
    Last edited by E28stoff; 03-12-2012, 11:23 PM.

Build Thread

Looks cool e28 are so pretty
    sigpic

Comment

Lovin it but get that bitch on the floor.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by superturbodiesel.com View Post
        Looks cool e28 are so pretty
        thank you

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
        Lovin it but get that bitch on the floor.
        thanks. im gonna be dropping it down more tommorrow. the inner lips of the fenders were rubbing like crazy at low speeds. i hammered out the passenger side today which gave about a finger width during turns as opposed to paper clearance before. the tready winter tires dont help either

Rolled

Build Thread

Comment

Very nice and clean, What part of Ontario are you in? I'd love to see something like this rolling around.

Comment

Originally posted by MrhappehFaic View Post
            Very nice and clean, What part of Ontario are you in? I'd love to see something like this rolling around.
            Thanks alot! im in the Pickering area just east of Toronto.

Build Thread

Comment

Little update, finished hammering out the front fenders a little bit. quite happy with how it came out. then went ahead and dropped the front coils down 5mm and the rears 10mm. still got a little more adjustment left.

i want camber plates, any suggestions? i know about GC and Ireland enginering. any other options?

picture 598

finished product ^ sorry for the bad pic, didnt have my good camera when i had the wheel off

picture 593

i know, not that low. i need to cut and weld that section where it hangs down. the p.o. had the cat removed and a pipe welded in but you can see how much lower it is than the frame rail. ill tuck that up soon and start scraping frame

picture 601

im pretty happy with it though. wheels hopefully very soon!

Build Thread

Comment

what coil over sleeves are those? I need to do some soon aswell, but do not feel like dishing out the $$$ the GC's

Comment

Originally posted by tcturbo91 View Post
                  what coil over sleeves are those? I need to do some soon aswell, but do not feel like dishing out the $$$ the GC's
                  there some cheap ones that i picked up local. probably similar to something you'd find on ebay. all i did was measure up the o.d. of the strut tube and found something that would work. i made a mistake though and measured one strut that was more pitted than the other so i had to grind down the other strut to slide the sleeve over.

so far there working ok, but if i run into any problems im going to grab some from summit or somewhere else. (cant remember the names off the top of my head, summit has a good selection)

anyway, set the final ride height for now. spun them all the way down. i could take the adjuster out and sit the springs on the perches i had welded on but i think im plenty low for now.

picture 6017

im going to align that door this weekend, seriously bugging me now.

picture 6013

picture 6018

the angle there on the drain plug is gone and the bottom of the bolt is ground flat. but the subframe and frame rails take more shit, my motor seems to be a little higher than most e28's. still gonna fab up a skid plate

Build Thread

Comment

subbed, love 28's

Comment

Looking good. I may have missed it but any plans for wheels.

-Aron
                      "Living life a quarter turn at a time"

Comment

Sick! Did you make the coilovers yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by OpelWagenGT View Post
                          Looking good. I may have missed it but any plans for wheels.

-Aron
                          not 100% sure yet, ive been scoping the local classifieds looking for a clean set of 16's, hoping i can find some old weaves for cheap. that will still be a temporary thing. im having a hard time deciding...edit: forgot there were also these, some gotti reps. managed to talk him down to 180. 15x7 et0, im still on the fence but for the price im thinking why not, plus i have tires for them

hmmm....
                          15-5x120 Modern

Originally posted by C-Hutch View Post
                          Sick! Did you make the coilovers yourself?
                          thanks, my buddy did the welding as i havn't had to much experience yet, but i did the rest.
                          Last edited by E28stoff; 03-16-2012, 12:01 AM.

Build Thread

Comment

sweet another fellow e28. post photos of the skid plate when done, I'm still kicking around ideas for mine

Rival House Garage. #allstarmotorwerke
                            A Sherman Schwartz story build thread.

Comment

little update. really need to get my skidplate had a couple close calls (see pic below) but so far so good. ill remove the perches in the front after i build one and drop it down some more.

picture 6026

terrible picture, something almost punched through right beside the drainplug. steel pans ftw.

also rigged up a lip from a sunfire i got for free, im not completely set on it. dont really care though as itll be temporary, i managed to find an iS front fascia and iS rear spoiler for 50 bucks a pop which is great because my current lower fascia is in terrible shape.

picture 6037

random pic, purdy paint
                              picture 6021

edit: forgot to mention, im buying those wheels that i posted earlier in the thread this week. no more bottlecaps and balloon tires!
                              Last edited by E28stoff; 03-21-2012, 11:32 PM.

Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X