Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear UK peeps - Help me plan my trip.

So.

As some of you know, I'll be coming over to the UK in June.

The plan is to take the ferry on the 8. or 9. and the return ferry on the 16. or 17.

Only set destination for now is DC12 on sunday, 10. June.

After that I want to basically do a small tour around your country, see what it has to offer

And see as much of UK car culture as possible.

What are some of the 'must see' stops in the UK for a gearhead?

Also, any tips for keeping it as cheap as possible as far as sleeping goes? I'd rather spend my money on doing fun things than for hotels and stuff. Maybe someone even willing to let me crash at their place? I just need a couch to sleep and a shower in the morning

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Blag sleeping at members houses? Oh you said that, I can't offer you a place but I'm sure someone will!

You been here before? London is probably worth a visit but not cheap. Where are you getting ferry to? Cheapest way is same as everywhere else, save money eating out by buying food to cook / cheap pubs or something.

What kind of attractions did you want to see, uk stuff or car stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
      You been here before?
      Nope.

London is probably worth a visit but not cheap.
      Yeah, I've been thinking about stopping by London as well, it's somewhere on my list.

Where are you getting ferry to?
      Most likely taking the ferry from Calais to Dover.

Cheapest way is same as everywhere else, save money eating out by buying food to cook / cheap pubs or something.
      Yeah, that's pretty much a given, I was more asking about sleeping stuffs. I'm sure I won't be able to bum a couch off someone for the whole time I'm there, so I'll need to plan a bit ahead, haha.

Additionnally, I want to post about my trip on my blog and / or some forums, so I'd want to have some internet access, at least every evening or so. How is it in the UK with the availability of free Wi-Fi?

What kind of attractions did you want to see, uk stuff or car stuff?
      I'm asking mostly after car-related stuff, because I'd love to get to know the UK scene.

Obviously, I'm interested in 'normal' stuff too, but I can find infos about that pretty much anywhere on the 'net.

Comment

Your welcome to crash at mine but we will be on holiday early June, so could be on your way back down to Dover? We're on the way sort of. Not much around these ways but we can go to the local for a 'cup of tea' or 12

Comment

A few places have free Wifi, a lot of pubs do now a days, otherwise it can get quite expensive.

BT have a lot of hotspots but they charge.

Comment

and the marvelous habit of "afternoon tea"
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
              Your welcome to crash at mine but we will be on holiday early June, so could be on your way back down to Dover? We're on the way sort of. Not much around these ways but we can go to the local for a 'cup of tea' or 12
              Sounds good, we'll have to work something out,

Always down for a 'cup of tea' or maybe a 'glass of water'

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                A few places have free Wifi, a lot of pubs do now a days, otherwise it can get quite expensive.

BT have a lot of hotspots but they charge.
                Sounds like over here then. I'll have to look into mobile access, maybe there's a cheap option for every-where use.

Comment

To be fair, most places do have free wifi now, you'll find one somewhere.

Comment

If you heading up to manchester give me a shout!

I've been to the "ring and Köln i get the Rotterdam to Hull ferry, its a overnight crossing, the costs are a little high, but saves money in fuel getting to the Dover to Calais.

Comment

Wow... U going to the UK?

I still wanna see a show in the UK this season..
                      (I'm telling myself for 3years)

What show is DC12 like?
                      Last edited by Riskant; 03-07-2012, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Riskant, i'm really contemplating heading over there for that weekend to
                        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

I think Players would be the preferred show to attend??? But that isn't until September and DC12 is in the middle of summer and attracts a nice selection of cars. Went last year for first time and it can only get bigger and better the next few years. Would be great to have some international members on our stand there.

Comment

Originally posted by P78 View Post
                            Riskant, i'm really contemplating heading over there for that weekend to
                            Serious?

Every year I chicken out... (due to money issues/family matters)

Comment

Sorry Dr.AK for hi-jacking your thread...

Any more info on DC12? Websites/pics?

Weekend UK incl. a nice show is something I wanted to do for over 3years...

Comment

Working...
                              X