CubbyChowder finally got a BMW 2002 - it's project time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pwagon717 View Post
    Those welds on the front fender are actually factory welds. It is where the fender meets the front nose. Everyone is doing the 02 thing now. Mine will be making a entrance in the near future with some wide vintage splits.
    yeah I just learned that after posting it up on the FAQ. It's kind of weird to me that BMW did that from the factory. Are there really that many 2002 builds going on right now? Everyone keeps saying that.

Originally posted by EdwinBlack View Post
    Love the 2002 builds, they turn out very well mostly.
    Good luck on it! I'll be watching this
    Thanks!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Yup there's a bunch of 02 making a come back! But it's always nice to see what people are finding and how much work they have to put in it.
      I like your approach of getting the car all cleaned up and rust-free before you actually spend $$ dumping it and getting wheels.
      Sub'd fo-sho!

ps: I don't think anyone will ever bitch about the picture details. It's just like with (o)(o) the more you see the better it is.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Just some food for thought too: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24044

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

^^thanks dude!

Not a very exciting update, but making progress! Got the rear end taken apart and started on some rust removal. Since the rust really isn't that bad at all, I've decided that I'm going to grind away as much as possible, fix the areas that have rotted through, and cover all the previously rusted spots in Rust Bullet and overcoat with Herculiner. I will be doing the wheel wells, floor pans, trunk area and possibly engine bay in Herculiner. I know some will say its unnecessary and overkill, but I want a clean, durable, consistent look throughout the car. Anyways, onto some pictures!

Rear end taken apart:

Post pressure wash:

Started grinding away at the rust throughout the body. Please note that I am not finished in some areas, which is why it may seem that it's a sloppy job. Getting rid of rust is my main priority right now and I want to do it as good as I can:

My only real before and after from today:

Before:

After:

Ordered Rust Bullet today, so it'll be a few days before I can apply it. I still have a lot of random rust spots to take care of in the trunk area, driver's side rear wheel well, floor pans, and other miscellaneous spots throughout the car. Slow progress right now, but I want to make sure rust is taken care of before I start on the fun stuff

More updates soon!
          Last edited by CubbyChowder; 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

It looks like you're using a stone wheel, try using flap disks and wire wheels, it eats through the rust and paint without leaving those gouges

looks like a good start though!

Comment

the lack of rust on that car is amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman Productions View Post
                It looks like you're using a stone wheel, try using flap disks and wire wheels, it eats through the rust and paint without leaving those gouges

looks like a good start though!
                thanks, I've been switching off between stone wheel and wire wheels, the wire wheel wasn't doing too good of a job and was taking way longer which is why I started using the grinder mainly. I'll try out a flap disk though

Originally posted by ImAwesome View Post
                the lack of rust on that car is amazing
                I agree

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Yup flap disk are the way to go.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                  http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

^ they're not kidding

you'll go through a bunch of them but the result will be so much better

Comment

ok I'll keep that in mind. In a situation like the inner wheel well where nothing is visible, I don't mind using the stone wheel but if I do any repairs on a visible part of the body from here on out I'll use a flap disk

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Looking good for a fresh start! Gotta love any 02! Sub'd.
                        - Jake

Comment

YES! this is amazing. No hard feelings at all! I'm just amped to see someone else doing an 02 build. Thanks for the recognition and kind words, I really do appreciate it. Hope my project helps you along with yours. Keep it up I can't wait to see some more updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Heist View Post
                            YES! this is amazing. No hard feelings at all! I'm just amped to see someone else doing an 02 build. Thanks for the recognition and kind words, I really do appreciate it. Hope my project helps you along with yours. Keep it up I can't wait to see some more updates.
                            Thanks dude! I'm glad you're stoked about it, I was kind of expecting a lot of "Heist copycat" comments to be honest. Your build definitely inspired me in numerous ways, and I'm super happy that I'm finally doing my own build. Updates will be frequent, I'm just having a really hard time finding a set of wheels for the car. I want the perfect set. I want some 16's that are wide, low offset, etc. 3-piece wheels would be cool, but at the same time I'm just not that stoked on any. I'm kind of considering staggered ESM-008's, they are by no means a baller wheel setup, but I love the way they look. We'll see what happens

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                              Thanks dude! I'm glad you're stoked about it, I was kind of expecting a lot of "Heist copycat" comments to be honest. Your build definitely inspired me in numerous ways, and I'm super happy that I'm finally doing my own build. Updates will be frequent, I'm just having a really hard time finding a set of wheels for the car. I want the perfect set. I want some 16's that are wide, low offset, etc. 3-piece wheels would be cool, but at the same time I'm just not that stoked on any. I'm kind of considering staggered ESM-008's, they are by no means a baller wheel setup, but I love the way they look. We'll see what happens
                              check out http://www.forge-wheels.com/

the owner is a buddy of mine and is great to work with

Comment

^^thanks dude!

Slow progress right now, but I want to make sure rust is taken care of before I start on the fun stuff
                                I though rust removal was the fun stuff? lol I have a bunch of rust to deal with on my 02, ours looks great.

I'm just having a really hard time finding a set of wheels for the car. I want the perfect set. I want some 16's that are wide, low offset, etc. 3-piece wheels would be cool, but at the same time I'm just not that stoked on any. I'm kind of considering staggered ESM-008's, they are by no means a baller wheel setup, but I love the way they look. We'll see what happens
                                I'm having the same problem as you, all the wheels i seem to like are super rare and hard to find. and others well everyone has them or just they look like garbage on the car. the only wheels Im interested in now are vintage 13"ers since almost no one wants them because of the tire issue but Im still willing to suffer lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X