Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think we should add to this stickies about how the faces should be mounted and how certain ones have different mounting options since i used this to build my wheels and made the mistake of mounting the faces incorrectly on my oz futuras, so no one else makes the mistake

Comment

followed this diy thread, worked perfect!

Comment

Glad to hear it!
        @Thatcher
        BMW Z3 M coupe
        '93 Defender 90 200tdi . '94 Defender 90 300tdi

independentwheel.com
        thatcherindustries.com

Comment

I will be doing this over the next winter to Fikse FM-5's. This DIY will definitely come in handy. I called Fikse to get a price on lips for my 17's and they said $255 each. Is that pretty standard across the board?

I found this video. Thought I would share

Last edited by brandonford; 03-29-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Just about to start build my set. This is a great write up!
            Hit me up for all your quality used bmw parts needs! http://properperformance.com/ IG: Lowlygent

Comment

finally bought a Stanly-Proto 16-80 lb. click-type torque wrench for my wheel assembly needs.

now I'm looking at torque specs for my rims. I have BBS RF's with 7mm bolts, they are new stainless bolts from Tunershop with blue thread locker already on them.

I've read torque specs as low as 14-16 lbs for used bolts and as high as 40lbs for new bolts on a BBS RS but people seem to mention 8mm bolts...I see nothing about 7mm.

then I'll be tearing into my Cromodoras, they also look like 7mm bolts. so I would guess the torque spec would be the same. I will either use the same stainless bolts new from Tunershop or the ones they sell in black...not certain what those are made of. I might just get stainless ones and make them black myself with chemicals from my work.

I guess I really just want to know what the best torque spec is for new bolts. I'm inclined to go with 25-30 lb cause it's right in the middle of the range of posts I've seen.

I'd also like to know what grade the typical wheel bolt is ? grade 8 grade 10 or ?
              any reason I couldn't use other bolts of the same grade ? for instance a button head allen or torque drive bolt ? aside from the typical wide flange, what is special about wheel bolts ?

Comment

now...here's a guy on another forum ...
                just received an email from BBS in Germany who state the torque setting is 15Nm.
                and a post or two above him...
                The measurement is in inch/lbs. Only use an inch/lbs torque wrench, don't convert to foot lbs.
                and just to do what should not be done...
                15 newton meter = 11.063 432 209 pound foot
                via http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm

heh...could drive ya crazy huh ?

Comment

I'm pretty sure almost all BBS use M7 bolts. M8 is used by HRE, Forgiato, Asanti, etc. I believe.

Original BBS hardware toque specs I've been told is 22 ft/lbs and new is 40 ft/lbs on RS bolts.

-Matt
                  SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13

Comment

when you guys re-seal 3pc wheels, did you all shave down on the powdercoating, or paint on the mating surfaces, of did you just lay the silicone down over the pait/powdercoat and bolt them together?
                    I haz 4 wimz. need 4 more.

Comment

Anybody in the orlando area who has performed this ?

Comment

I put mine together yesterday. All 4 done. Gonna mount runner tomorrow.
                        I sanded off all the pc and lay a bead of ultra blue rtf silicone on the inside and outside of the holes the. Mates up the outer lip. Dropped the face in and bolted them in.
                        Doing 2 at one point. Then 180 degrees then 90 from that and then 180 again. 2 at a time.
                        The. After putting in the other bolts. I flipped it upright and lay another bead over where the inner and outer meet and squeezed out silicone. Then used a finger in a latex glove and pressed and spread the silicone all around at said junction.
                        I haz 4 wimz. need 4 more.

Comment

Should you use silicone on the bolts as well?

Comment

Never use silicone on the bolts!
                            @Thatcher
                            BMW Z3 M coupe
                            '93 Defender 90 200tdi . '94 Defender 90 300tdi

independentwheel.com
                            thatcherindustries.com

Comment

great write up. sticky please.
                              Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                              and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                              S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Nice write up.

I am assembling a set of BBS e26 Motorsport wheels.

They have center rings with rubber o-rings that are installed in between the lips and barrels. I plan on sealing them up as you did. Will use Dow Corning 832 adhesive sealant.

Comment

Working...
                                X