Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I followed your DIY and really appreciate you putting this out here.

How's this for a first try? I didnt put masking tape on top because it was a little awkward, but I wish I did. The bottom came out a lot better. I played with it for like 30 minutes to try to keep smoothing it out and ensure that I covered every crevice of the lip/barrel interface.

Comment

Originally posted by prospal View Post

How's this for a first try? I didnt put masking tape on top because it was a little awkward, but I wish I did. The bottom came out a lot better. I played with it for like 30 minutes to try to keep smoothing it out and ensure that I covered every crevice of the lip/barrel interface.
      [/IMG]
      that kinda looks like doo doo. not trying to be mean but the smoothing part was easy, just touch the bead gently and run your finger around a couple times with the same pressure leads to a perfectly smooth line... wearing latex gloves helps especially cuz rtv is a pita to get off if you dont have latex gloves then just wrap some duct tape around your finger.

Comment

Yeah I understand the top didn't come out so well, but like I said I didn't tape off the top side before I did it because at the time I didn't realize the rtv would smear out that far as I ran my finger over it. It started to accumulate on my finger as I was smoothing it out and just worked its way up the lip.

I mean, given that it may not look the prettiest, it should still get the job done, no?

Comment

The best tip to make a smooth sealing is to spit(or just make it wet with water) on your finger, when you ran your finger over the sealing!

That will give you a smooth and really good sealing

Comment

Yeah I understand the top didn't come out so well, but like I said I didn't tape off the top side before I did it because at the time I didn't realize the rtv would smear out that far as I ran my finger over it. It started to accumulate on my finger as I was smoothing it out and just worked its way up the lip.

I mean, given that it may not look the prettiest, it should still get the job done, no?
            cant say for certain without looking at all the wheels in person but from the pictures you showed looks like you got more than enough rtv on there so lets hope so!

Comment

How many coats of sealant do you usually apply? I'm trying to piece back together 17" TH-Lines and I've seen people do 1 coat, and some do 2 coats.

Also, if I'm going to do 2 coats, how long should I allow the first coat to dry for before applying?
              Just one coat, then wait 24 hrs before mounting tires

Not bad, doesn't look too pretty but it should get the job done
              @Thatcher
              BMW Z3 M coupe
              '93 Defender 90 200tdi . '94 Defender 90 300tdi

independentwheel.com
              thatcherindustries.com

Comment

Great job documenting this...thanks for sharing!
                IG:uvebeenrobd
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

What do you recommend for RS's? I have been told 14 ft/lbs, 17, 18, even 24

Comment

Should you use silicone on the bolts as well?

Comment

Originally posted by D-rock View Post
                      Should you use silicone on the bolts as well?
                      Originally posted by Thatcher View Post
                      Putting silicone on the hardware, or in between the hardware holes where the lip mates with the barrel is not only a waste of time, but creates a huge headache for whoever has to take apart and put the wheel back together.

that being said, should you put some type of threadlocker on the bolt threads to keep the nuts from backing off?

Comment

Yes, put threadlocker on them. Usually on wheels such as BBS which have more bolts I use the blue threadlocker. My HRE's only have 20 bolts so I used red. Makes no difference, the red is just harder to undo. Don't overtighten the bolts just so you don't have to use threadlocker either.

-Matt
                        SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13

Comment

i have a question, for bbs lms when i reverse mount them, do the bolt holes have to be shaven/machined down so the edge is flush when its mounted inside the barrel?

Comment

does anybody know where i can purchase that dow 733 glue for the wheels? i emailed the person who created this thread but his email doesnt work.

Comment

Awesome post. Should be a sticky. I did my wheels following your instructions and they turned out great, no leaks. Thanks for the post
                              1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
                              1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

Thanks

As for the threadlock question.. You can use threadlocker but it's not always necessary. If using it though, I would recommend using loctite blue 232: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_l...r-Blue-242.htm

Thatcher
                                @Thatcher
                                BMW Z3 M coupe
                                '93 Defender 90 200tdi . '94 Defender 90 300tdi

independentwheel.com
                                thatcherindustries.com

Comment

Working...
                                X