No announcement yet.

DIY Wheel Refinishing - BBS Style 5s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're worried about the harshness on your skin etc with Jasco, or just can't find it (apparently nobody around here sells it) Citristrip worked great so far, and doesn't hurt your hands, and it's orange scented and is safe to inhale and use indoors
    '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
    '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
    '01 BMW 740iL
    Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

I'm waiting to get my Style 5s in this week. Looking forward to my project. I like the idea of painting the wheels. Great writeup!!!

Comment

Style 5 refinishing

Reviving a pretty old thread. Guys who've done refurb on Style 5's I need some info:

I have the wheels apart and successfully removed the factory clear-coat. I noticed that there is some silver 'coating/plating' on the aluminum barrels/lip. I had one wheel that had some tarnish so I took fine steel wool to it and ended up removing that silver coating...I'm down to bare aluminum - which looks fine (it cleaned up nicely w/Mothers polish). So the question is, if I want to remove this silver 'coating' from the other 3 wheels - how do I best do that? As I have read after doing this one wheel steel wool is a no-no on aluminum (tho it did work and clean up ok for me).

Note: I DO NOT plan to highly polish the barrels - I want to simply get down to the bare aluminum and retain the factory finish of that surface.

Thanks!
        Bill / Oceanside, CA

Comment

Style 5/19(and most other factory wheel) outer lips have clear coat over bare/machined aluminum.
          Not quite sure what coating you are referring to. I'd stay away from wool.

OZ, MSW, ABT, Carlsson, etc 10 point bolt tools info

Comment

Originally posted by zoo View Post
            Style 5/19(and most other factory wheel) outer lips have clear coat over bare/machined aluminum.
            Not quite sure what coating you are referring to. I'd stay away from wool.
            After I removed the factory clear coat, I'm not down to bare metal....there is a fairly thin silver colored plating/coating layer that has been applied on top of the bare aluminum - trust me, it's there - I removed it on one wheel with the dreaded steel wool.

Thanks/Bill

Comment

Originally posted by wgosma View Post
              After I removed the factory clear coat, I'm not down to bare metal....there is a fairly thin silver colored plating/coating layer that has been applied on top of the bare aluminum - trust me, it's there - I removed it on one wheel with the dreaded steel wool.

Thanks/Bill
              Hey Bill, there is some Style 5 that are anodized before clearcoat. So, basically what you say, is true, but that is rare variant (i have had both sets)

Cheers
              PS Peeps, thanks for the re-drilling images. Was wondering if the backside was possible to re-drill to 5x112 pattern.

Comment

Working...
              X