No announcement yet.

no suspension. bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without bumpstops, you'll be running metal against metal. Surely you need to have AT LEAST a tiny bit of bump stop to absorb some sort of shock.

I ride bottomed out front shocks and my car bumps and rattles all over the place. It's tons of fun! but it isn't a daily driver.

Comment

Mgb's do have shocks, just not a traditional one.they have lever arms with springs. You can run a shorter spring with drop spindles. Except drop spindles are only offered from a couple people. I have an mgb and have been trying to think of ways to get it low. Something to act simulate a drop spindle without modifying the ones on the car. Or modify the front crossmember to get it to sit up higher. Or if you want to spend the money there's redesigned modern front set-ups that use coilovers..

Comment

if you want to do it right, and have the car last you need to call these guys

http://www.fastcarsinc.com/ifs.htm

They have a tube redesign drop in for the front setup, and could probably work out an IRS system for the rear (looks like they have before)

If you explain your needs they should be able to modify their existing setup for "moar low" since they do everything custom.

i would also be sure to build a protector for the oil pan, since that can be a problem with these cars lowered.

I'm very excited to see this lower, i had a 71 B that I recently restored and have a soft spot for MGs

Comment

I can see the news report now. "Crash involving a small green convertible today, witnesses said it bounced clear through the intersection and hit a building"
          Just weld the control arm to the metal under the bumpstop. Hardtail stylez.
          Deathsquad mofo.

Comment

well, judging by that video, id do it in a heartbeat...
            1994 LS400
            1992 S13 Vert

Comment

smaller wheel and tire, and yes i think if your going to think about it you should do it, or just steel your neibors fence post and make that shit rigid
              BUSTER!
              Low Standards
              Seffer on the Stanceworks
              sigpic

Comment

The only thing I would say to research thoroughly is the safety of driving without suspension. Is your car going to be able to corner safely at any speed without skidding out of control?

Besides that I would say go for it. You'll never know how it works until you try it, and if it doesn't work out then try something else
                Hold on, Not done accelerating

Comment

ive been riding on my bump stops for the past year up front, only worry is a balljoint giving out or lower control arm breaking .And i **** the ride ,so i had lowering spindels fab up and in the process of using a qa1 adjustable suspension from a 69 camaro. I drive a 99 tacoma single cab

Comment

Hey man, how did you get on with this? Did you come up with any solutions? I'm considering taking ownership of a chrome bumber MGBGT and I definitely want to get it down low if I do...

Comment

I bet he's dead from bouncing into the back of a dump truck.

It amazes me how stupid some people can be about suspension and the modification thereof.
                      - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

You must not value your back or oil pan.
                        Matt in VA
                        1982 BMW 320i US 5 speed Chestnut Red "Jun"
                        Adult smut.

Comment

Working...
                        X