A Fresh Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Fresh Start

Hope you’re not still reeling from your New Year’s celebration. But don’t fret — Fluid MotorUnion is back and in action!

One of the best parts of the whole New Year’s celebration is that it gives us all an opportunity to change for the better. For people, making a resolution and sticking to it throughout the year is a good way to start the year with a new feeling of determination. The same applies to what we’re covering in the blog post today. For these three cars (or at least some parts connected to these cars), they’ll be getting a fresh start and starting the year freshened up and ready to go. The first up is Troy’s E53 X5. His X5 will be starting 2012 a little bit higher; while most resolutions involve spending LESS time high during the forthcoming year, Troy’s E53 will be doing the opposite with a custom-made lift kit set. It’s the same construction as Project X’s lift kit, so we’re waiting on getting Project X back in here tomorrow for a quick test-fitment of the parts before they’re shipped off to their new owner up in the Great White North known as Canada.

Next is Mark’s S52-swapped E36 cabrio. Before he puts the car away for the winter, he came in for a little bit of exhaust work. We added another resonator just north of the first one, in order to quiet down the E36 M3-sourced motor and appease the neighbors a bit more, which is a great way to perhaps thaw out some chilly relations left over from 2011:

Finally, we’re keeping the momentum going on Perry’s 190, as well. For starters, we are giving the engine bay a bit more color coordination for 2012. Everybody says how some-other-color is the new black; well, we disagree, and to show our disagreement with that notion, we went ahead and painted the intercooler, oil cooler and coolant expansion tank in a nice coat of — well, you can probably guess:

We also gave a bit of the New Year’s refreshing to the oil catch can. When it first came in, the catch can wasn’t really mounted in an aesthetically pleasing location, and its construction didn’t really allow it to be mounted anywhere to correspond with the rest of the spartan engine bay layout. So we retooled it a bit and placed it smack-dab in-between the pulley array and the Cosworth intake manifold:

The two holes you see on the forward-facing portion of the catch can were originally the mounting points for the lines that route the crankcase ventilation. However, we went ahead and used them for a different purpose entirely. They’re now the connecting points that we use to fasten the catch can to the motor with a custom mount we created:

Finally, since the new mounting holes meant we were left with a hole-less catch can, we went ahead and created a new inlet and outlet on the top of the can, using our tried-and-true Earl’s A/N fittings to keep everything secured nice and tightly.

We’ve already hit the floor running, so look forward to Fluid MotorUnion carrying this momentum for the next 51 weeks. Or, if you’re into that whole Mayan thing, 50 weeks.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Do I see a Vibrant UltraQuiet in there? That's what we used in the Fusion!

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by cobrawannabe View Post
      Do I see a Vibrant UltraQuiet in there? That's what we used in the Fusion!
      We're big fans of Vibrant over here. Coming from a JDM background, OJ held onto his belief that Vibrant makes some of the best resonators and mufflers on the entire market (as Vibrant is typically a Honda brand), so we've used them in quite a few builds over here.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
      I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Comment

Vibrant makes some VERY high-quality stuff for sure!

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Your blast pipes look stupid.

Comment

I want you guys to either:
          A. Supercharge my c36 swapped 190e
          or
          B. Turbo my m103 190e.
          Damn college, being broke isn't always fun. Maybe someday...
          Balls Deep Squad.

Comment

Working...
          X