Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by j-stance View Post
    What bumper do you have?
    | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

If I could offer up some advice...I'm not a Focus owner, but I do have 4,000 posts on FocusFanatics so I know a little bit...

I would stay away from the SPI. It's not a question of racing or not, it's a question of longevity. The SPI is known to drop valveseats. It's an inevitability...

When an SPI takes a crap, most people replace it with a Zetec as they are MUCH more reliable.

hope I helped...
      FlickHer
      ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

What year did the Zetecs start?

Comment

Originally posted by ffpauly View Post
          What year did the Zetecs start?
          IIRC it's always been available on the Focus, but the SPI was like the base pissy engine.

don't quote me though...
          FlickHer
          ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsroar View Post
            If I could offer up some advice...I'm not a Focus owner, but I do have 4,000 posts on FocusFanatics so I know a little bit...

I would stay away from the SPI. It's not a question of racing or not, it's a question of longevity. The SPI is known to drop valveseats. It's an inevitability...

When an SPI takes a crap, most people replace it with a Zetec as they are MUCH more reliable.

hope I helped...
            I was planning a fresh top-end rebuild when I got the car as well. I guess I wont have that issue then?
            | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
              I was planning a fresh top-end rebuild when I got the car as well. I guess I wont have that issue then?
              I would just as soon snap up a Zetec from a junkyard somewhere and throw that in. Then you won't have to worry about it at all and you can just concentrate on getting the suspension where you want it.

I know someone already linked you to FJ, but here's a link to the swap section of FF.

FlickHer
              ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Actually, the SPI is a more reliable engine and is a better engine when MAINTAINED because it is so simple. But, who cares he came here for suspension questions.

On topic- Believe it or not racelands will ride "better" than H&R's at full low. When I say that I mean you expect the racelands to ride decent at best and that is what they do no matter the height. H&R's are a waste of money if you plan on slamming. I'm usually against it, but for slamming a focus no one makes a good coilover. Your best bet is Ksports, D2 (same as ksports just different color), and Racelands.

JHolso on FJ is the only one who has done, or will be doing bags, on a focus so far to my knowledge. This is his BUILD THREAD on FJ if you want to check that out.

-Matt
                SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13

Comment

I heartily disagree. The SPI drops valve seats regardless of how well it's been maintained. I've seen it time and time again. It's so regular in fact that we can almost guarantee which valve seat is gonna take a shit.

Yes he's here to talk about suspension, BUT he'll have less money to spend on a suspension/ wheel setup if he's paying for a Zetec swap or an SPI rebuild.
                  FlickHer
                  ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

I assume Raceland UK coilovers would at least provide a better ride over the stock suspension, and that is all I really care about for a commuter car/going to meets - and dropping it on the ground.

Comment

I heartily disagree. The SPI drops valve seats regardless of how well it's been maintained. I've seen it time and time again. It's so regular in fact that we can almost guarantee which valve seat is gonna take a shit.

Yes he's here to talk about suspension, BUT he'll have less money to spend on a suspension/ wheel setup if he's paying for a Zetec swap or an SPI rebuild.
                      Weird, I've had the same SPI in my driveway since 2000 and after 122,035 its still running great (knock on wood). And if he's going to do an engine swap he might as well go Duratec..

And yes, Racelands do provide a better ride. Atleast to the people who ACTUALLY had them on their car. I wish that racelands had higher spring rates though.

-Matt
                      Last edited by Shocktech102; 01-04-2012, 10:49 AM.
                      SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13

Comment

Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
                        H&R Cup Kit for $840ish, yay or nay?

Still debating if the car is a worthy platform, but I just found this so I'm pretty sold:

Those fenders... horrendous.
                        StatusRacing.com
                        Configure YOUR Seat Here
                        Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                        Email: sales@statusracing.com
                        Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by StatusRacing View Post
                          Those fenders... horrendous.
                          Yeah he had way more poke then fender room, so destroyed the rears and made wide-body flares for them. I just like the poke

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktech102 View Post
                            Weird, I've had the same SPI in my driveway since 2000 and after 122,035 its still running great (knock on wood). And if he's going to do an engine swap he might as well go Duratec..

And yes, Racelands do provide a better ride. Atleast to the people who ACTUALLY had them on their car. I wish that racelands had higher spring rates though.

-Matt
                            Then you are really lucky. I see it time and time again on FF. SPI knocking...SPI blew...SPI dropped valve...and on...

Could go duratec, but that's even more expensive.
                            FlickHer
                            ^^Click ME!^^

Comment

Then you are really lucky. I see it time and time again on FF. SPI knocking...SPI blew...SPI dropped valve...and on...

Could go duratec, but that's even more expensive.
                              No point in not doing it. if you are planning on doing any engine mods the duratec is a wayyyyy better engine.

-Matt
                              SLAMMED SEDAN CREW #13

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktech102 View Post
                                No point in not doing it. if you are planning on doing any engine mods the duratec is a wayyyyy better engine.

-Matt
                                Just checked your blog listed in your sig. How hard was it to adapt the Sawblades to that Focus you posted? Ive got a friend with a stanced Focus interested in changing his reps to some real wheels.
                                Last edited by kaidotech; 01-04-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X